The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just installed a Larini Sport type last week (love the sound). I have a question regarding the pops and gargles... are these normal? they happen when i downshift or take my foot off the pedal (im new at this.. so please bare with me). FYI, i left the stock CAT in place.

I guess what i would like to know is what causes this "effect" and is it bad for the engine or pistons or anything for that matter?

thanks much for the input!

Raven

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Mine does that too, and I love the sound of it! :coolnana:
I guess it's caused by small amounts of unburned fuel that ignite in the exhaust :confused:
I also assume that this is independent from the type of exhaust you run.
On some exhausts it's just more pronounced than on others.
It would be interesting to hear if this has any negative effects on the CAT since TADTS
I once fried a CAT on my Miata after a spark plug went south on me. It only took two miles of driving on three cylinders brefore the CAT burned up...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can there be any negative effect on the car? engine? why does this happen compared to the stock exhaust? is it because the can is smaller?

just trying to understand the dynamics

thanks

·
Registered
912 Posts
It happens with the stock exhaust you just dont hear it happening. Now go through a tunnel full throttle and get it to pop. Gave me chills up my spine when i first did it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Mine pops and burbles like crazy. I love it. I've had the Larini on the car for almost 2 years and no problems with the engine or the cat.

Steve

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I believe I read on this forum that the popping is the result of unburned fuel.

It does not have a negative effect, per say, on the exhaust but it can have consequences on the converter if it happens enough. The fuel can burn out the inside of the cat or something.

I understand that on de-catted cars, there is a small flame that can come out the exhaust when this happens.

I have the older NA stage 2 (with dual outlets pointing down) on my S - which is a louder exhaust than the S stage 2 (has the same outlet as stock S). With a supercharged engine, it really pops. I had the same exhaust on my NA 06 Exige which popped but not as hard or loud as the S.

I sometimes wish I was behind my car when this happens to know if others hear it as prominantly as I do. If they do, they probably think the car is poorly tuned and is back firing.

·
Banned
34 Posts
Politically Incorrect

Hi Guys,

Just installed a Larini Sport type last week (love the sound). I have a question regarding the pops and gargles... are these normal? they happen when i downshift or take my foot off the pedal (im new at this.. so please bare with me). FYI, i left the stock CAT in place.

I guess what i would like to know is what causes this "effect" and is it bad for the engine or pistons or anything for that matter?

thanks much for the input!

Raven

I had the Larini SE installed a few months ago on my Exige, along with the Weapon-R Race Header (d-cat) and Weapon-R Intake and luv the package.

The "pops" and "gargles" you spoke of are a part of it all. I luv waking up the neighbors, or pulling up to a red light and open-hand bitch smacking those FORD boys with my presence.

Your exhaust notes are typical...enjoy it my friend.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Larini Rocks!

Sure, it's unburned fuel detonating post-cat. Obviously happens w. stock exhaust, but in that case, the additional baffling absorbs the "pop". I love the sound of my Larini SE (w. sports cat) so much that I never listen to the stereo! I have driven behind another Larini SE installation (HiroY) and the sound is incredible. Does not sound like the car is out of tune/backfiring, but means business. Would like to see if I generate any flames at WOT at night!

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Excessive popping is a sure sign of an exhaust leak, My mini does this all the time (waiting on a clamp from Remus in Austria right now). My Larini on the Elise only does it very slightly. You may want to make sure everything is snugged if you can easily get at the fasteners. They do work themselves loose if not really torqued on there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts