The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new steering wheel recently to match my interior, I got it installed after waiting a little while for the adaptor. I decided to stick with the black and yellow, im not redoing it again. After addding the yellow, I didnt like it, but it has been growing on me.

I sent my headrests out to be remade in yellow, with Lotus embroidered on them also in the font from the trunk badge.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,042 Posts
Hey Mark:

Your adapter looks pretty thin - what did you use? Did the Grant wheel have the proper 88 hole pattern?

I noticed you covered your steering wheel column - nice contrast, but does it reflect in your windshield?

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No reflection in the windows that I noticed, and I lucked out because the yellow matches my other interior yellow perfectly. It actually matches the body good too, whenever I photograph it under flourescent light, the body looks pale, its positively screaming yellow in person. The thing I didnt think of is I have the car apart right now when I was waiting for the tensioner pulley bearing, and now if I touch the wheel, my hands have to be clean or it will dirty it bigtime I can already tell.

I could find no Nardi hub 6 hole to Grant 5 hole wheel one piece adpator the holes are not in the correct positions to be able to make one, I searched for like a week. A place on Ebay had two 1/2 inch adaptors, one Nardi to Momo, and one Momo to Grant. Which worked out perect, because the Grant wheel is about one inch less deep, and the adaptors take out the space, so the wheel is in just about the same distance from my body in the car. It is slightly smaller, but it does not seem to block the gauges any. I wont know how I like it til I drive it though in the near future. Im looking forward to having the Lotus back together, I have so many projects right now goin on in my shop its nuts.

The Momo adpator can be made to a 5 hole because the positioning of the holes is slightly different, I had a hard time figuring out why no one, even Grant offers one for Nardi to Grant until I decided to look into fabricating my own.

·
Super Moderator
4,042 Posts
[snip]perfectly. It actually matches the body good too, whenever I photograph it under flourescent light, the body looks pale, its positively screaming yellow in person. .
My 88 Calypso Red is similar - the fluorescent lights make it look more orange - it's quite red in bright sunlight.

I'm thinking of playing with the steering wheel; the wheel just blocks the top of the gauges and after 29K miles, it's beginning to grate on me. I actually have to actively bend down to look at the speedometer (conveniently blocked around 60-90 MPH) - sometimes looking at the tach is faster to determine my approximate speed.

Maybe bringing the wheel OUT towards me 1/2" may help....hmmmm...

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Wow...came out really nice! Definitely stands out and makes the car look like a show car. If I recall, Gordonie had a similar yellow/black theme in his V8. Similar, but different :)

BTW, I like your shift knob! What kind is that? I've never seen one like that on an '88. Appears to sit lower too...did you shorten the shaft?

Roy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,248 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,042 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's for '90 and later, i.e. airbag cars.
I remember reading somewhere that the this is the case too - not for 88.

As soon as I get my car back, I'll check it out - Mark's effort reminded me that simply moving the wheel OUT 1/2" should buy me a better dash view (since it moves the wheel slightly upwards. Should make getting in the car easier too with a slightly elevated wheel.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The shift knob I bought off of Ebay about two years ago, I could tell from the packaging it was from the 70's. It had a VW bus on the cardboard of the package LOL. I wanted the heaviest knob possible as my gearbox was crap when I installed it and figured this would help "bang" it into gear, to of course no avail. That little ball is heavy. It holds in place with an allen screw and a brass or copper bushing that allows it to be snug. I was concerned with its fit at first, but it hasnt moved in two years so im guessing its not gonna.

The shaft is stock, no shorter.

I dont know why, but I think its pretty cool to have the old Lotus wheel hanging on my shop wall LOL, two people that were at my shop now have commented on it now. Its a conversation starter (as if the car was not) I tell them how the horn is on the turn stalk, they are like "what?".

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I almost forgot, if anyone wants to add a Grant wheel, look for this ebay seller, zhuchunneng, he is in Michigan. You can just tell him you want a 1/2 inch thick 6 hole Nardi hub to 6 hole Momo wheel, and a 1/2 inch thick 6 hole Momo hub to 5 hole (he doesn't say its Grant, but it is). The two spacer together equal one inch. All his auctions say "FLASH POWER" over the photos in the auction, he ships real fast too. Around $35 total for both.

I think this is only for 88 and older cars. Newer cars, you will probably have an airbag and maybe a horn to contend with im sure.

·
Super Moderator
4,042 Posts
I almost forgot, if anyone wants to add a Grant wheel, look for this ebay seller, zhuchunneng, he is in Michigan. [snip]
I think this is only for 88 and older cars. [snip].
Thanks - I'm gonna check it out - never thought that extending my wheel would be a great way to get easier access and viewing of the dash.

Are these the correct parts? His terminology "6 hole wheel to 6 hole wheel adapter, but this isn't an adapter" is confusing.

Nardi 6 to Momo 6? (allows a Momo wheel to bolt on an 88 Esprit?):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Billet-Extension-Hub-Spacer-for-6-hole-Steering-Wheel-to-6-hole-Adapter-/121246091940?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c3ad48aa4

and Momo to Grant 5 hole? (bolt this on the above to get a 1" spaced Grant wheel mounted?)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Billet-Extension-Hub-Spacer-for-6-hole-Steering-Wheel-to-5-hole-Adapter-/111197336099?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e3e0b223

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Thanks Mark! (Amanda)
I really like that! Would look great on my other car too. Guess I'll have to hit a couple speed shops in the future and see. :)

Roy

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the car out for awhile yesterday with the new wheel, and it was a great modification. The smaller diameter feels very sporty and actually allows for better vision of the gauges, I dont know how I accomplished that, I thought it would be less visibility of them. This wheel is thinner also at the top, which may be why, it has a good feel to it I think just because its a new wheel, compared to the old one.

It is yellow though, and it already smudged easily, I will definitely have to wash between working on the car and test driving it.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I had the car out for awhile yesterday with the new wheel, and it was a great modification. The smaller diameter feels very sporty and actually allows for better vision of the gauges, I dont know how I accomplished that, I thought it would be less visibility of them. This wheel is thinner also at the top, which may be why, it has a good feel to it I think just because its a new wheel, compared to the old one.

It is yellow though, and it already smudged easily, I will definitely have to wash between working on the car and test driving it.
Or get a set of driving gloves. That IS Screaming Yellow! I think I would need sunglasses to get into that car! No worries about standing out with THAT car when you are speeding! You will never get a parking ticket with that car, it looks like it is going fast even when it is parked!

·
Banned
938 Posts
Hi.
Curious? When your on the highway do you get a preponderance of wasps, bees clogging up your Rad?
You OUGHT TO GET A PLATE THAT SAYS....STING!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I actually do have a funny story about my car attracting animals, a cat actually. I love cats, always had them and when cats are around im like the cat whisperer LOL. Anyway, yesterday I went to the local hardware store, and they have a nice cat, but the last time I was there I went to pet it, and it jumped off these bags of mulch it was sitting on, right into the parking lot and it almost got hit by a car. Yesterday I was there, and I did not see the cat anywhere, I went to leave and these two kids were using their phones photographing the Lotus, and we talked briefly, then I got in and in a split second I saw that cat sitting right outside my door staring at the car, I think because it is so bright yellow. It was funny, I had to get out and snap a picture of it, It let me pet it and all, I guess we made up from last time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Funny that you mentioned bees...when I had my yellow '88 (I absolutely loved that color!), I actually used to have bees land on it and try to make love to it all the time. -eek- Always thought it was the bright color that attracted it, but looking back, it could have been the fact that it was always freshly waxed too. :)

Roy

Attachments

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,099 Posts
Bright Yellow cars ALWAYS attract insects.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Funny, my calypso red attracts humming birds; lots of them

1 - 20 of 25 Posts