The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some time to kill yesterday and installed a passenger airbag disable switch. Used a Dremel to cut a hole in the passenger pillar cover (above change cubby) and trimmed with rubber diffuser molding. I was able to access the airbag wire through that opening and by removing the speaker. Was very tight for my large hands - removing the dash top would be an easier way. Tapping the wire is simple considering this is a single stage airbag with only 2 wires (see diagram below). My company actually sells these switches now, see here:

Universal Passenger Airbag Disable Switch - Electronix Online - Computer and Electronic Parts and Supplies

Attachments

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I am sure that its just my paranoia....
But man would I be nervous of the bag going off while installing that. Sort of like the time between setting the mouse trap and setting the trap down.

Thanks for the writeup

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am sure that its just my paranoia....
But man would I be nervous of the bag going off while installing that. Sort of like the time between setting the mouse trap and setting the trap down.

Thanks for the writeup
Of course the first thing you do is disconnect the battery. ;) And for those not comfortable with a DIY job, by all means take the kit to someone who is qualified to install.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Dave

don't you have to mail the NHTSA your installation copy and I thought it has to be a qualified/certified installer?.........

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you disable the passenger airbag, you can safely install a baby seat or take a child in the car with you.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
don't you have to mail the NHTSA your installation copy and I thought it has to be a qualified/certified installer?.........
Hey Andy, assuming if you do a DIY yourself, this (like 90% of the other Lotus aftermarket parts) would have to classified as a track use only modification. I'm not selling a specific Lotus product, just distributing a universal kit that is manufactured by AOI that I tested on my Elise.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For those wanting the airbag switches, I have 7 of them coming in on Tuesday. Price has been lowered as well to $99.95. See link in first post to order.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Just finished reading the NHTSA bulletin on installing the airbag delete switch. Interesting info, and you do in fact need to mail in a form

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bought one, thanks. Will report back about my installation. Thank you Dave.

My local independent shop refused to install an airbag switch for me just last week. And I was ready to pay him $600 for that.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Of course the first thing you do is disconnect the battery. ;) And for those not comfortable with a DIY job, by all means take the kit to someone who is qualified to install.
The SRS (airbag) is activated by capacitors in the airbag control unit so that if the vehicle battery is dissconnected or damaged in an accident the airbag can be activated. Wait at least 10 minutes after the battery is dissconected to allow the capacitors to discharge. Make sure that there is no one by the airbag when the battery is reconnected. The capacitors will recharge after the battery is reconnected.

BTW have you had any fault codes with the airbag off?

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The SRS (airbag) is activated by capacitors in the airbag control unit so that if the vehicle battery is dissconnected or damaged in an accident the airbag can be activated. Wait at least 10 minutes after the battery is dissconected to allow the capacitors to discharge. Make sure that there is no one by the airbag when the battery is reconnected. The capacitors will recharge after the battery is reconnected.

BTW have you had any fault codes with the airbag off?
Good points, and no to the airbag light...it satisfies the 2 ohm requirement that the module is monitoring.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Installed today

what a PITA...........there is little room and the yellow wire is way to short........then when I finally got done and happy with the install.........my son drops the keys down the side sill where the cooling lines are...........so good luck trying to get them out..........almost had a nervous breakdown.........quickly packed up everything.........got my guns and went to the indoor shooting range and let some steam off...........!!!!!..........now I need to find new keys!!! .........what a ****ty day!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Does anyone know if it matter which one of the wire you splice? I'm asking because it seems the airbag connector has some sort of coil inside of it and this may make a difference in which wire you splice. See Dave's diagram and my picture below.

Update - I showed Dave's diagram and the below picture to a friend of mine, who's a certified eletronics guys, and he told me it does not matter which wire you splice and Y connect. If I remember correctly, he said the coil was there to provide clean power. As to what exactly what he meant by this is beyond me and I didn't ask further as he gave me the answer I wanted.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 51 Posts