The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer had front clamshell off to replace Wizard Cooling radiator that was installed 10 years ago during oil line leak fix. Radiator had a pinhole leak, so Wizard sent a new one at a discounted price and will be repairing old one as spare. They said first Elise radiator they've sold that had developed a leak to their knowledge. During the time the clamshell was off, installed new PIAA horns like these:

PIAA | Automotive Sports Horn (400/500Hz) #85110

I wanted the 500/600Hz models, but they were backordered for another month or so.

PIAA | Automotive Sports Horn (500/600Hz) #85112

Regardless, both are pretty loud at 115 dBA, which is about the same as Stebel air horns others have used. The upside to the PIAA horns is that they only draw 5.4 amps total for both horns, so this is within the capacity of the 7.5 amp fuse for the stock horn. As a result, no wiring upgrades, relays or other mods were needed. Cost was about $60 for the pair and reviews were 5 stars.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise BRG
301 Posts
Clam is off now replacing the stock radiator. Thought I had an upgraded horn already as it seems pretty loud. I was surprised to see it was the stock horn. Just ordered the 500/600 Hz set. They had them on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clam is off now replacing the stock radiator. Thought I had an upgraded horn already as it seems pretty loud. I was surprised to see it was the stock horn. Just ordered the 500/600 Hz set. They had them on Amazon.
I bought mine on Amazon as well. They were out of the 500/600 Hz sets at the time.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise BRG
301 Posts
I guess I got lucky they are back in stock!

Thanks for posting this. Was look at the Stebel but didn't want to bother with the wiring.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just curious on the PIAA horns, are they just a direct connect with no other changes to setup electrically right? and splice existing connections to go to two horns instead of one with no other real changes?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty much, but pay close attention to instructions. Mechanic wired it wrong at first, so only one horn barely worked. I think he had it wired in series vs. parallel - or was it the other way around? Once corrected, I heard then from over in another building.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise BRG
301 Posts
Polarity also looks to be important. I'm hooking mine up this weekend. I'll report back and post photos of placement. Still haven't figured that out yet. I had a look and have some ideas but not sure if they will fit where I'm thinking.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't get photos of my installation, as the tech at the dealership where my radiator was being replaced already had the clamshell back on by the time I got there. When he had to correct the wiring, he just removed the center panel underneath the front of the car.

The whole thing was normally something I would tackle, as years ago I did a complete nut/bolt restoration on a '69 Elan, including installation of a new chassis, but since he was in there already I figured let him take care of it. I'm not as interested in wrenching as I once was, as I've done it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts