The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all i have to say thank you to Shinoo of Sector 111. We spent basically the entire day together today. He's a good guy and will be a huge asset to us as Elise owners. I know i will be buying all my parts through Sector 111 and urge you guys to do the same. It is so refreshing to have a good experience with an autoparts supplier. I am a total believer in supporting stellar customer service.

ok on to the good stuff...The exhaust was pretty easy to install. It took us a bit over an hour and we were not hurrying by any means. It can probably be done by yourself but it helps to have 2 people. You definitely need to have a bit of muscle though so if you are weak or injured in some way don't bother.

The exhaust sounds great! It is deeper and throatier than stock. It is definitely louder but not obnoxiously loud. I just drove 100 miles in traffic and it did not bother me at all. The build quality is SOO much better than stock.

I also took home a set of the Kodiak 3-piece forged wheels with A048 tires. These wheels are about the same weight as the sport pack wheels and a bit more than the SSR's. They should be MUCH stronger than any of the alternatives. For the type of hard driving i do i am more than happy to give up a couple pounds for the extra strength. I will probably never notice 6 total pounds of unsprung weight but i would definitely notice a bent wheel. The wheels seem to be of top-notch quality...comparable to the Fikses we have on our Porsche. They have black centers with polished lips and i think look really good on the Chrome Orange.

Shinoo took some pics so hopefully he will post them here.

-Steve

·
Registered
394 Posts
ohh yea! Black wheels on CO! I get my co car at the end of this month, so i want to see those pics ASAP!!!!

Adam P

·
Registered
866 Posts
WOW! I personally don't like the design of those wheels, but in that combination, they look beautiful! Absolutly amazing. You made a good decision, good choice.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
We tested those rims on my car and the design grows on you, plus they look a lot better in black.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
DAMN!!! They look sweet :D
Does anyone know how the weights compared with LSS wheels. ( I need to look up this stuff again :confused: )
I want to get a light set for some Hoosiers, of course I won't be able to try them until next year now :(

Oh and I nearly forgot, bought my QS from Sector111 yesterday. Looks like it will be a very tasty bit for my Elise. THANK YOU Shinoo.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Front rims are approx. 14.2lbs each and rears are approx. 15.5lbs each.

i don't know that anyone has weighed the LSS wheels but they were estimated to be 12/15. So these are slightly heavier but undoubtedly much stronger...not a big deal for autox but a lifesaver in the canyons.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Tire Rack has the SSRs listed at 11.0 #s Front and 13.3 #s Rear. There are lighter wheels out there...but they have not yet been tried out, or have unsuitable offsets, or nonstock sizes. The LTS rear wheels are pretty darn heavy at 21 pounds apiece. I think the LTS fronts are supposed to come in at 15.x pounds apiece. I switched to SSR/AO48s and notice both positive and negative changes to the ride quality compared to LTS. It may be wishful thinking, but the car feels a bit peppier on the SSRs too. I think that the LTS wheels are too heavy for the car. Even with the stiffer tires, which harm the ride compared to the AD07s, there are times when the ride is better due to the greatly reduced mass. For example certain rail road crossings are not as big of a deal, and certain roads which would cause the CD player to skip no longer do so. On the other hand concrete surfaces and expansion joints come through more emphatically.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Stan, the SSR's are definitely the lightest and most cost effective option out there right now. However, i have seen many of them bent, albeit on heavier cars. I am quite happy with a forged 3-piece wheel that i know will hold up to anything i can throw at it. I doubt the 7-8lbs of total weight difference from the SSR's will ever make a difference.

They also look better IMO and are more unique. That's the part i use to justify the extra $500.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Stan said:
Tire Rack has the SSRs listed at 11.0 #s Front and 13.3 #s Rear. There are lighter wheels out there...but they have not yet been tried out, or have unsuitable offsets, or nonstock sizes. The LTS rear wheels are pretty darn heavy at 21 pounds apiece. I think the LTS fronts are supposed to come in at 15.x pounds apiece. I switched to SSR/AO48s and notice both positive and negative changes to the ride quality compared to LTS. It may be wishful thinking, but the car feels a bit peppier on the SSRs too. I think that the LTS wheels are too heavy for the car. Even with the stiffer tires, which harm the ride compared to the AD07s, there are times when the ride is better due to the greatly reduced mass. For example certain rail road crossings are not as big of a deal, and certain roads which would cause the CD player to skip no longer do so. On the other hand concrete surfaces and expansion joints come through more emphatically.

Stan your car looks great! Almost as good as mine:D Now that you have the wider front wheels what’s the word on Lotus’s warning about not fitting the larger wheels without switching the suspension to their LSS setup? How does the car handle? Please share your experiences with us.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Derek said:
Stan your car looks great! Almost as good as mine:D Now that you have the wider front wheels what’s the word on Lotus’s warning about not fitting the larger wheels without switching the suspension to their LSS setup? How does the car handle? Please share your experiences with us.
If I remember correctly, when TopGear interviewed the Lead suspension engineer he said that people could order the 111s with larger front tires to make it have less understeer. I would think one could do the same with the Fed Elise and have it not be a problem.

I have a highly modded Miata with a ton of suspension work done to it. By far the biggest change came from reducing the up sprung weight by about the same amount Stan did. I was mad at myself for driving my car for 2 years with the heavier wheels as I could have been enjoying a better riding/handling car all that time. The SSR that I have are the same model and have never bent fronm driving in the NYC area.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
If I remember correctly, when TopGear interviewed the Lead suspension engineer he said that people could order the 111s with larger front tires to make it have less understeer. I would think one could do the same with the Fed Elise and have it not be a problem.
Yes but they were not using A048s

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
The SSRs that bent tended to be with the early versions, before they beefed them up. And then, generally on heavy cars with stiff suspensions and low profile tires, often in conjuntion with track sessions (heat weakens the strength) and with those who use the track curbs to their cornering advantage. I've used SSR for some time on my ~ 2700-2800 pound E30 M3 and they remain as round and true as the day they were born. Between our light weight and the lower brake related heat there should be no problem.

·
Registered
970 Posts
usually dont like blk wheel but on that CR, it does look decent...mean and fast looking...now we need good sound clips.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
Tire Rack's site is wrong in regards to the weight of the front SSR wheel. They are just over 12lbs each. Not a big difference but important for some who are adding up all the weight differences.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,290 Posts
mact3333 said:
..now we need good sound clips.
I took some video in Randy's car but the sound was not very representative - or better than what we have on the website. I need to talk with some of you sound experts to get a better recording.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is it me, or are all these wheels alittle boring? So far I haven't seen a really nice set of wheels for the Elise. Maybe there is an offset issue or something.

Heres a pic I found of a Elise with aftermarket wheels on it, I'm sure it's photoshoped, but it shows how good this car can look with the right wheels.

Just my two cents.

Bill

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts