The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed two 7" cooling fans under the louvers of the rear deck...They fit perfect and move 1100 cfm each. Also because of the louvers it expells the heat better than i thought they would. My engine temp is fine except when in stopped traffic...city driving. I have blown out my rads and just had them flushed out. I figure get rid of the heat before it builds up and it will take load off the radiator. The fans only cost $25 each.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
I just installed two 7" cooling fans under the louvers of the rear deck...They fit perfect and move 1100 cfm each. Also because of the louvers it expells the heat better than i thought they would. My engine temp is fine except when in stopped traffic...city driving. I have blown out my rads and just had them flushed out. I figure get rid of the heat before it builds up and it will take load off the radiator. The fans only cost $25 each.

Interesting; do you have a photo?

Are they similar to:
Amazon.com: PROCOMP 7" INCH ELECTRIC AUTO COOLING FAN 12 VOLT CURVED BLADE: Automotive

hmmm.. these are only 500cfm; so I suppose they are not. What make model did you get? and how did you mount them?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i will put pics up soon but they are black and the underneath of deck is black... so may be hard to see.

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Thanks; yes, I've looked at these before. I am thinking water injection is a less expensive, complicated option. Probably not quite the same benefit as intercooling though. Not sure which option I would choose.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i think the liquid intercooler looks better...also with the ice box instead of the two small radiator that come with the kit. small ice box holds i think 3 to 5 gallons so if the v8 did not come with intercoolers than i think as long as you are not racing all the time that there is enough liquid in the entire system that i dont think you will heat up the water. Therefore no need for the small radiators that come with the system...and less piping, wiring, etc. I will be doing 2 of the diy 350 kits because i just installed stage 2 chip from p.u.k. No joke this has been the best bang for the buck that i have done for my car. You just have to wait for 5-6 weeks to get it if you are in the u.s.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Would be interested in seeing install pics...Have any?

I like the idea of a engine bay fan for preserving the plastic and rubber parts around the engine by keeping them cooler. I don't think this is the way to keep an engine that gets too hot in stop and go cool. If you have that problem, put in a bigger radiator and bigger radiator fans assuming everything else is ok with the cooling system and the engine itself.

I have an oversized radiator with 3 Spal fans, and it won't heat up over 85degC as long as the radiator fans are running even in the worst Texas heat.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
You have to be careful about how much load you add to the electrical system. Especially load that will run at times of lowered alternator output such as when you are not moving or moving slowly. If you are moving at speed you do not need any additional cooling in the engine bay. If you do add fans and attach them to the engine cover you need to use plugs so you can remove the cover. The "proper" way to wire it all up is to run it as a separate circuit on it's own fuse or C/B with a temperature switch activating a relay to handle the load of the fan/s. You will be violating C/C's philosophy of "adding Lightness" and increasing complexity. C/C also liked to make things do at least 2 and possibly 3 things (or more) at the same time.
David Teitelbaum

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Agree on the load. In my case, I have an uprated alternator. The stock alternator really can't handle the stock load at idle.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Even an "uprated" alternator cannot produce full output at idle or low speeds. In many cases an "uprated" alternator cannot produce more power than a smaller alternator under those conditions. Also you must consider the ambient temperature and derate any alternator you install. On the Lotus V-8 the alternator lives up inside in "dead air" and can get very hot which reduces the power it can create. Again, HEAT! And you trying to use the alternator to lower heat only increases it! Which shows you any solution can cause other problems. Very few ways to get a 'free lunch"!
David Teitelbaum

1 - 10 of 10 Posts