The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to think about/ save up for a super charger for my '05 elise. I am pretty sure that I have decided which direction I want to take as far as which kit to get but my question is on the difficulty of installation.
I am relatively mechanically inclined and have worked on the car some, granted nothing of this complexity. I won't be able to remove the clam but can get the car up on a lift, if needed, and have most of the tools required(I think).

I have replaced a turbo and intercooler on a Subaru WRX as well as done some exhaust work on both the Lotus.

Is this a job that I can complete in my garage, or should I leave it to the pros. I just feel that 1800.00, what the shop is asking for labor, could be better spent.

Thanks

·
Registered
639 Posts
I did the BOE TVS Rev 300 on my 06 Elise. Didn't remove the clam and still only took about 9 hours start to finish (including a few beer breaks). Phil has great customer service and it fired off perfect the first time and has been running smoothly ever since. The clam removal might make it easier, but I just removed the boot lid and had plenty of access, also went in through the passenger side rear wheel arch liner for the belt and alternator fitment.

Later
Corvus

·
Registered
214 Posts
removing the clam isn't very hard either. you just need somewhere to put it while you work on the car. if it's a garage, the car is short enough that you can place it behind while you work too

·
Registered
580 Posts
I would not do this install with the clam on. There are too many things that could use attention with the clam off. Perfect oppertunity to address them.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
I am of perhaps an intermediate level of mechanical skill. I installed a BWR supercharger in four evenings after work, about four hours each evening, really taking my time. Clam on. Fired right up, been great since.

Directions were very good but not perfect. They responded to an email or call very quickly.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I did the BOE TVS Rev 300 on my 06 Elise. Didn't remove the clam and still only took about 9 hours start to finish (including a few beer breaks). Phil has great customer service and it fired off perfect the first time and has been running smoothly ever since. The clam removal might make it easier, but I just removed the boot lid and had plenty of access, also went in through the passenger side rear wheel arch liner for the belt and alternator fitment.

Later
Corvus
Ditto for me also. No issues and pretty easy honestly. Clam on.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Yup, same for me except a VF2. I did install the Radium clam removal kit so I only had to pull the interior once.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I did the BoE Rev400 myself and overall good instructions and made it easy but time consuming. If you are only doing a Supercharger, no clutch or intercooler, then clam on is possible. If you are doing the Rev400 with intercooler or clutch I would highly suggest you take the clam off ... and if you are doing that do the BoE clam hinge while your at it.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Yep. Add the 60 or so SC HP and you run with a new crowd.

But then, you just have a different group walking away from you.

And then "If I had another 50 HP that guy would not be beating me any more"

But passing a fairly driven GTR has it's rewards :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yep. Add the 60 or so SC HP and you run with a new crowd.

But then, you just have a different group walking away from you.

And then "If I had another 50 HP that guy would not be beating me any more"

But passing a fairly driven GTR has it's rewards :D
Passing a GTR? Stock that has an under 2.7 second 0-60. I love me some Lotus but I'd think it wouldn't stand a chance against a GTR, especially any kind of upgraded one.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
Passing a GTR? Stock that has an under 2.7 second 0-60. I love me some Lotus but I'd think it wouldn't stand a chance against a GTR, especially any kind of upgraded one.
It is surprising sometimes.... I have blown past poorly driven GTRs (no surprise), and hung with some decently driven ones. A few weeks ago there was a very modified one in our advanced run group, it looked like a Nismo parts store under the hood. I never did get a point-by, but we ran a few car lengths apart for a whole session. It was a 3.1 mile track with 16 turns. The difference was 3 corners where I could keep my foot down and I think he was holding his breath. Was his car faster? Sure. Was I having more fun than him? Oh, yes. Actually, he may have been asleep in there with the car on auto pilot, who knows, but I was working my butt off.

BTW, there was also a guy in an old 240Z that was right with us. He has spent years refining that thing for the track and drives the heck out of it. So cool to watch it corner right there with us while having the inside front wheel 4" off the ground. He was a better driver than both of us.

·
Tire abuser
773 Posts
I used to think there is NO WAY that I would install a SC with the clam on. However, I took my supercharger off the other evening in less than 2 hours. Putting it back on was even easier. The trick is taking the boot lid off. You then have pretty good access. Still, taking the clam off may be the way to go but now I would be willing to work it either way.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
I have done 2 VF kits and 2 BWR/Katana kits all with Clam on. It is not that hard but experience really helps. Removing the clam is not hard either but another person is needed to move it safely and I agree without the clam it is a piece of cake. If you are going to replace your fuel pump in any kits that will be the hardest part to do without breaking the housing.(this is for 05's only). I also agree that power is addictive and you will allways want more. Boe's upgradeable path make this very attractive but if I may suggest save your money and get the rev400 it will keep you satisfied longer.
Tommy

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I had heard that putting the rear clam back on was a nightmare.
??? I take the rear clam off and on by myself. It is incredibly simple after you do it a few times.

I have found that I pull the rear clam for a lot of things now. Just to give everything a good look.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but for a newb, what's the trickiest part to an SC install for someone thinking of doing it themselves?

·
Registered
639 Posts
Hardest part?...honestly the way the belt tensioner is set up. Once you get a long enough persuader though...

Corvus

1 - 20 of 23 Posts