• Don't install it at all!

Votes: 14 36.8%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished up the mods for the season for the most part, and sent my car to the bodyshop to fix a few small flaws in the fiberglass. I have a wing off an SC/California Elise for my car that I was planning to install, but I'm too nervous to drill through the fiberglass, so I haven't done it yet. I told the shop about it, and he suggested I paint it matte black, along with the splitter (Splitter is currently a gloss black), because everything on my car is pretty much matte black (scoops/vents, etc) and yellow, except for the wheels, which are gloss black.

I PS'ed some pics of the wing in black, I just can't see it looking good, but a few friends of mine I showed them the pics, and they said it would look hot. What do you think I should do? Leave it yellow or paint it matte black?

Or

Or

Or

Or

This is what I look like right now:

·
Registered
480 Posts
That is one very clean Lotus (bumble bee) you got there man. IMO dont put a wing on it. But serious question is do you REALLY need a wing?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is one very clean Lotus (bumble bee) you got there man. IMO dont put a wing on it. But serious question is do you REALLY need a wing?
Thanks dude!...To answer your question, I like the look of the wing.. :shrug:

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Definitely add the wing - really helps the rear end of the car IMHO. I like the black one (I think) - next add a black front splitter as I think that adds more look than even the wing. Black splitter, black scoops/grills, black wing = hot.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I like the wing myself and would leave it yellow.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I wouldn't go with this spoiler.. Otherwise there's alot more I'd do to the car to make it work than just paint it black. That'd be big mistake, IMO.

·
Registered
693 Posts
How is that spoiler installed? I'm thinking of getting it and raising it up 3-4 inches with custom stands.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would pass on the wing and go for side vents and wheels. But if you really want to, go black on the wing.
With time I would like to change the grilles around the car to a mesh, and put side vents too....just not sure if I would have the side vents painted to match, or leave it black or CF, however it would come.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
That whole spoiler reminds me of some of the nonfunctional stuff that mainstream car makers put on just to look like a different model. No real function, something like fake vents.

The existing Elise has a clear spoiler like shape to begin with.

But if it floats your boat, enjoy the process and the result. I'd recommend matching body color so that it's not too evident though.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I agree, with the spoiler being so close to the body it looks weird in black, but I believe a different spoiler would look good in black on your car. Keep it yellow!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The shop started repairing the flaws, and he is installing the wing. I am still partial to the black, but for the sake of being different, I suggested possibly wrapping the wing and splitter in matte black, this way if I don't like it, I could always remove it. He thought it was a good idea but hasn't decided. When I showed him the pics above so he can put his thoughts in an image, he wasn't so fond of the black wing after seeing it other than just visioning it. He said he decided what to do, but I told him to surprise me, so I have no idea what he's going to do. I guess I will find out next week when I get her back!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How is that spoiler installed? I'm thinking of getting it and raising it up 3-4 inches with custom stands.
2 bolts/nuts on each end, drilled into the clam. You wouldn't be able to raise it w/o some major modifications..

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wing installed. It was wrapped in matte black vinyl, this way I can always reverse it if I want a change. I still think that it would look better in body color, but it's different, and not in a bad way, in my opinion..

Considering how badly the fiberglass splitter went to **** last season because the gritty material underneath would catch the pavement when not careful enough and just crumble away, I replaced it after only two months of abuse with a new one. They also wrapped it in vinyl, and I figured I would wrap the edge of the splitter with black door edge trim, this way if it hits the ground, it hits the vinyl trim on the edge, somewhat protecting the splitter. The plus to it is it also matches the diffuser in back because Lotus wrapped the edge of the diffuser in a door edge-like trim too, so it works well together, I think. It would have been nice if it was a matte black too, but this was all I can find:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts