The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know of a how-to on this? How about any tips? I found the sandmuseum link, I was just wondering if anyone had any more info. I guess my primary concern is the airbag, and how to handle it. Also, the sandmuseum link doesn't explain how to get the front cover off.

Oh, my apologies, I think the Sector111 link will tell me everything I need to know. Sorry guys. For reference...

http://www.sector111.com/images/products/performance/track_parts/quickrelease/Rapfix II Installation Instructions.pdf

·
Registered
641 Posts
Before doing this disconnect the battery and stick a 2.2ohm resistor into the airbag plug so it won't trigger the airbag light when you plug everything back in.

2 screws on the side of the wheel behind the stock horn button hold on the front airbag cover . 4 allen screws behind the airbag hold on the wheel.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, just got done with the install. A few notes, for those of you going from a stock steering wheel to the Cup Car Sparco that Sector sells.

First, the 6 countersunk allen-head screws you need to connect the wheel to the hub are just like it says on the Sector site; M5 X 16 (.80 thread pitch). However, because of the anodization on the 50mm hub (if you opt for that one like I did), they don't thread in easily, making it seem as if they are too big. Just thread them straight, even though it's hard to thread, and they will work. Have to thank Sector for that one, I was pretty frustrated, but they gave great advice.

Second, the site says that all you need are those 6 screws, and they'll tell you that the 4 M6 x 16 bolts that disconnect the stocker from the car can be re-used. Untrue. The stock M6 screws have washers on them that don't come off, and won't fit in the hub mounting holes, so you'll need 4 of those as well.

For those wanting to know, the wheel sits exactly 1/8" closer to the dash (further from the driver) than the stock wheel, which was fine by me.

More later, with pix...

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After a quick drive I can say that I freaking LOVE this wheel! I remember when I first drove a stock Elise, the car was awesome, but the sound wasn't there. Once I drove a cattless car with an aftermarket exhaust, the sound finally matched the car! Same feeling when I dropped it a bit, it finally didn't look like a 4x4! Then came the tune, really woke the car up, smoothed it out, and let me have the power more consistently, what a blessing. Now this wheel, it makes driving the car FEEL so much better. Hard to describe really, just so much better.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've had 2 synthetic wheels before, both MoMo (Monte Carlo, and Model 78), and I never had a problem. However, I don't let the wheel slide through my fingers like most people do.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Glad you finally pulled the trigger on the Sparco!

BTW, get a Recaro SPG seat and you'll feel like the car has become a giant glove.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Looks great. I just got the MOMO GT 78 for mine. Sparco quick release. Pics soon. I love suede wheels and most are synthetic/alcantara these days. They only get ripped up if you use them with gloves. Had one on my daily for 3 years now and it's still nice and puffy, just a little smooth.
To be honest. For a 'racers' and 'drivers' car, I can not believe how awful the standard wheels feel. The shape, the plastic feel, the lack of proper grip. The Cup wheel should be standard.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Yup. I have 2 vehicles with leather wrapped wheels and even those are getting beat up just from normal use. Oils from the skin break down the leather I guess.

I don't mind the stock wheel. I just wear a pair of $10 rubber gloves that are kinda sticky. (Found at Lowe's) when I am racing it.
Nice, I've always wanted a suede wheel, but the suede gets messed up if its used as an everyday wheel w/out gloves.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad you finally pulled the trigger on the Sparco!

BTW, get a Recaro SPG seat and you'll feel like the car has become a giant glove.
Those are awesome, but I couldn't buy any seat without a rake adjustment, I had to have custom seat rails made for the stocker to give me some rake!

Looks great. I just got the MOMO GT 78 for mine. Sparco quick release. Pics soon. I love suede wheels and most are synthetic/alcantara these days. They only get ripped up if you use them with gloves. Had one on my daily for 3 years now and it's still nice and puffy, just a little smooth.
To be honest. For a 'racers' and 'drivers' car, I can not believe how awful the standard wheels feel. The shape, the plastic feel, the lack of proper grip. The Cup wheel should be standard.
I liked the way my thumbs fit in the stock wheel, and the OD was perfect for the car, but that's where it ends. I hold the wheel at 3 & 9, and the stocker has no place to grip behind the rungs, but this wheel has plenty of area, and the thickness of the wheel is fantastic. Also, the stock wheel has to be one of the most ugly wheels I have ever seen on a car, especially such a BEAUTIFUL car, I mean, what the hell were they thinking? The UK wheel is beyond fantastic, and then we get this ugly crap, ugh.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Also, has anyone had issues with the horn? Mine is making constant contact inside, probably not that hard to fix, just wonder about it.
I had a very recurrent issue with horn coming on.

A particularly embarrassing event:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f129/jerk-lotus-86028/

The wires spiral around the hub and always found some way to eventually rub and short. Never at a good time. After rewiring the whole thing several times I punted and placed a well labeled button on the dash where the radio delete is now.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Exlondoner, yes, I used the horn, just had to cut some of the wires from the stocker. Here's what it looks like.

And here are the correct bolts to install the wheel onto the steering column, M6 x 16.

·
Premium Member
1,922 Posts
Brilliant work mate! I give you props. :clap:
Last question where did you obtain the new bolts from, I think I'm about to order the wheel.

Mick

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I got the 6 M5 screws that fasten the wheel to the hub from Fastenal, and the 4 M6 bolts that fasten the steering wheel to the car from Lowes. You can probably order these online for cheap, so since you're having to wait on the wheel anyway, I'd probably do that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts