The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Lotus Talk,

I am the new owner of an Elise S3 and I just finished installing a Pioneer DMH-C2550-NEX unit. I chose this one because of the reasonable display size (Not covering any air vents or controls) and modular display installation.
It is not a small project! Do not expect to be able to it in 2hrs just using a screwdriver; but the result is really worth it! Provides Apple Carplay with Waze, Spotify, Phone calls and voice to text, as well as a much much better sound quality.
It can all be undone much more easily if needed. The only alteration is a tiny hole in a dash plastic cover for the microphone cable.
Some specific info below:
-The head unit needs to be opened to redirect the display cable from the back to the front of the unit, and to drill holes to attache 2 brackets. I also painted the front black before putting the unit back together.
-I used a pair of brackets on the head unit, and another pair of brackets on the back of the display. I then used 4 bolts to tighten them together. That allowed me to adjust the height and angle using some plastic shims.
-I installed the microphone on the dash cover below the gauges, and the fit is really perfect. I was afraid it would be an eye sore but not at all! Very happy with this positioning.
-I tested the background noise driving without any top on the highway at speed limit and it works well.
-The improvement in sound quality alone is worth it! The S3 has the Clarion speakers, and the quality of the sound is a major improvement!
-On the weight size, I did not use a scale but I have not added much at all. The single DIN Pioneer unit is surprisingly light and empty; the display is surprisingly heavy. The older Clarion had a CD mechanism and was a heavy head unit. Overall, I am probably even or a few grams more, but my guess is not much more.

This is one of my very first posts, so I will try to attach pictures, but bear with me here...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Opened Pioneer unit:

The cable at the bottom is now re-routed to the front. It was exiting the back of the unit.

The unit is in place with 2 brackets. I painted the front cover of the head unit in black.
Then did some finishing touches with black paint.

Now unit in place:
Vents are not blocked at all.
Ventilation A/C controls are perfectly visible.
Passenger airbag perfectly safe.

And this is the microphone installed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’m interested in Installing a similar style head unit but can’t figure out the mounting brackets. Do you have any additional pictures of the brackets to mount the Headunit chassis? We’re they custom or a part of a typical install kit?

i really like how yours came out, any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for slow reply here:
Good point about the brackets as they were the most difficult art of the install!
I used 2 brackets bolted onto the head unit, and 2 brackets bolted on the back of the display, then bolted them together in the car so I could do final adjustment and could actually have access to the bolts.
-Brackets on the head units are simply the shelves bracket you can buy from any hardware store. 2 holes on each of the vertical and horizontal tab.
-Brackets on the back of the display were some Ikea brackets I had in my pile of hardware parts: I had to drill them to align the holes with the ones on the display, and then drilled their horizontal tab to fit the unit brackets. Drilling the holes allowed me to adjust the height of the display exactly where I wanted it. I used those Ikea brackets instead of regular simple hardware brackets because they were wider and had some triangulation that seemed more solid to me.
Will see if I still ahve a picture I can post here soon.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked and no luck for the pictures of the brackets at the back of the display. You can see in the pictures posted above the regular hardware brackets for the head unit. Sorry!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts