The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to do the Triple gauge stack in between the console and climate controls. The aluminum one that is made to look factory/OEM. I like the 52mm revel/VLS oled blue ones. Boost, oil temp, and pressure.

1. Id like to know who’s done this before to see if things need to be cut or modified to get the bottom gauge to fit. I’m not afraid to cut or modify that small aluminum foot separator piece.

2. Best way to run power and ground. Go off of a fuse or radio wires?

3. I’ll be installing a mishimoto sandwich plate and baffled oil pan. Would there be benefits to putting the oil temp in the pan over the sandwich plate or vice versa?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Brandon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I did AFR , oil temp and pressure. For the bottom gauge you need a very short one like the AEM X series. I got the power from the fuses in the passenger foot well, and grounded under one of the screw that secured the top of the gauge panel.
I have the Mishimoto plate as well and got my oil pressure from that, oil temp is installed in the TOC oil pan. All connecting wires routed the same as the shifter cables.

Reactions: Brandonm84

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did AFR , oil temp and pressure. For the bottom gauge you need a very short one like the AEM X series. I got the power from the fuses in the passenger foot well, and grounded under one of the screw that secured the top of the gauge panel.
I have the Mishimoto plate as well and got my oil pressure from that, oil temp is installed in the TOC oil pan. All connecting wires routed the same as the shifter cables.
This helps a lot. I saw you original post when you did yours about drilling a hole too. I’ll prob go the same route. As for the bottom gauge, I’ll dremmel out whatever space I need. If I ever need a replacement they’re under 50 bucks on eBay.

I want my gauges to come on when I press the ignition button. Is that how yours work or do you need to press the headlight button?

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise BRG
231 Posts
I wired my gauge lights to the light wire on the HVAC control panel. I got Autometer gauges with LEDs. The dimming function even works.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Elise
109 Posts
you could also get a combo gauge that shows oil T and P on the same gauge. you can also get AFR/boost combo gauges. In my opinion I like less gauges with more info.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
My gauges are wired so they turn on, including the gauge lights, when I start the car.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My gauges are wired so they turn on, including the gauge lights, when I start the car.
Is there a way to move the obd2 connection over a little or is this just blocked and gauges moved when needed?

·
He's on fire!
3,293 Posts
I have this same problem, different gauge cluster. What I did, was install a wireless ODB2 connector before installing the gauges. Now I can read it anytime I want without moving anything. If you have to deal with emissions or someone else servicing your car though, this solution would still be problematic. the odbc connector itself is just screwed in by two screws, I bet you could relocate it... or they also make odb2 extension cables, that could also solve the problem.

I didn't do the guage cluster as pictured because I thought my leg would regularly come in contact with it while driving.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have this same problem, different gauge cluster. What I did, was install a wireless ODB2 connector before installing the gauges. Now I can read it anytime I want without moving anything. If you have to deal with emissions or someone else servicing your car though, this solution would still be problematic. the odbc connector itself is just screwed in by two screws, I bet you could relocate it... or they also make odb2 extension cables, that could also solve the problem.

I didn't do the guage cluster as pictured because I thought my leg would regularly come in contact with it while driving.
Ahhh that’s a great idea! I’ll likely grab the right angle ribbon extension for 10 bucks on amazon.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Is there a way to move the obd2 connection over a little or is this just blocked and gauges moved when needed?

I moved the OBD2 port over to the right so the left side of the port lined up with right side hole, and then drill another hole for the right side of the port. Hope that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures of the OBD2 port and the wiring.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Since my car have plenty of gage, I am using a tri-pod in the front of the shifter, as many driver, for the less critical gage, Oil pressure, oil temp and fuel gage (yes because my car is too much modified...).

By I am also using a tri-pod Autometer 5288 in the top of the dash for the more critical gage (boost, AFR and Air temp). My car is turbo. I pretty like this tri-pod, well located, and easy to install with a split box.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts