The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

I am putting on my SE tips on my Larini. I got two sets of tips with my car. I just bought a Euro Grill and want to install it.

I see the rear heat shield will have to be cut to allow the SE tips to come through. Problem I am having now is that I dont see how the rear panel comes off the stock 05 car.

I see the rear license plate panel is attached in some fashion to the heat shield. Do I have to remove the entire heat shield from the car and work on this out side the car?

Some help please....

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I see I need to remove the rear heat shield. I am having a difficult time finding the bolts that hold it at the top. I think I see the two bolts ..one one each side near the muffler hanger...but I took those out and it is still being held in place...

Anyone out there today that has done this?

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you actually dont' need to remove the heatshild. you simply just need to bend it back so that you can slide the rear grill down.
Can you be more exact? The rear panel, specificially behind the license plate is NOT attached to the heat shield? How is it held up there? If dont have to remove the heat shield...I dont want to.

Be happy to call you if you will provide me with your phone number. Or call me at 716-861-1412. Writing is nice but talking is better.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
There is a separate heat shield attached to the rear panel. It goes up and bends 90 degrees towards the front of the car, going over the exhaust heat shield. That, along with the rear panel's flange that bends the opposite (towards the rear of the car) made it impossible for me to remove (others have done it, such as udlose03) but I could not. I had to slide my hand up and jab upwards on the panel attached heat shield to break off the 90 degree bend part. I don't see how much protection it had to offer anyway. Once that was snapped the panel came off relatively easily. There are two screws attaching the panel to the exhaust heat shield too. Don't forget to put them back on!

Edit: The flanges on the top of the rear panel attach through the trunk.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I just couldn't find a way to get enough room to slide the rear panel off without removing or loosening the exhaust heat shield......

here's the heat shield part I snapped (still attached in pic) and a crappy sketch of how everything is attached.

Attachments

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
FWIW: People have posted data on here that shows a lower engine bay temp when you remove that heat shield.

I've had mine removed for the past 2 years without any issues. My car has seen AZ heat along with track time. Only negative I have is a slightly melted reflector on the driver's side after a long track session.

It's much easier to just remove everything versus fumbling around in there with the stock crap in my opinion. It also looks better with the shield removed and the shiny Larini behind it. The stock grills are fastened with rivets so you'll have to drill them out and and pop new ones in with the Euro setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts