The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace my clutch on a 2006 Elise. Do I have to lift the motor or need to take of the rear clam?

Thanks!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I want to replace my clutch on a 2006 Elise. Do I have to lift the motor or need to take of the rear clam?

Thanks!
You can drop the gearbox after undong the drivers lower A arm. Never done it with the clam down but I guess it could be done.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can drop the gearbox after undong the drivers lower A arm. Never done it with the clam down but I guess it could be done.
Dealer estimated a 12+ hour job to change the clutch, normal??

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Dealer estimated a 12+ hour job to change the clutch, normal??
for a dealer that's probably normal... & easily a $1000+ job

but it honestly wont take them 12 hours to change (maybe a 3rd of that)...

·
Vendor
3,267 Posts
1/3rd is optimistic. 3 motor mounts have to come out, lower control arm, trans etc. Clam does not need to come off, but it is far easier. A home mechanic can do it with floor jacks etc. but in that case I would recommend pulling the clam.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
1/3rd is optimistic. 3 motor mounts have to come out, lower control arm, trans etc. Clam does not need to come off, but it is far easier. A home mechanic can do it with floor jacks etc. but in that case I would recommend pulling the clam.
haha, no i totally get that... 1/3 was a ballpark guess after looking under mine for the first time with the panel off... i mainly meant that it certainly wont take a shop an actual 12 hours & probably not even a first timer with the correct tools & moderate knowledge of clutch changes

in general, dealership pricing is always pretty comical :shrug:... then again not everyone has a trustworthy shop/friend to help either

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
There are a few threads discussing the ins and outs. Here's a good place to start:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/those-who-have-removed-tranny-33092/

There are others about the clutch specifically. You'll need new flywheel bolts. OEM are fine, the ARP set is very reasonably priced. You can reuse the clutch cover bolts. You need to replace the circlip that retains the LH drive shaft.

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
arp's bolts are not made specifically for 2zz, i'd go with new set of stock bolts.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks all, dealer did the job. Exedy clutch installed :)

·
Registered
109 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What did they wind up charging you?
Well, as I live in Europe, pricing is in Euro. They charged me 1100Euro in total for installing new clutch ( that I provided, costed me 300EUR).

They also did other work on the car (6years service, re-taped my 2 door sills and checked my suspension for loose bolts) in total of 14 hours including the clutch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts