The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had purchased one of the tow hook license plate holders I read about here from rho-plate. Tried to install it today and looks like I would need to cut a hole in the covering grate to get the bolt to fit into the tow hook (see pictures) Just wanted to confirm this was the only way to do it and there isn’t another product that doesn’t requiring cutting the grate before I do so. Thanks.
DE90981B-59AB-4168-B1AC-BCDB0DC23F47.jpeg
F4B482FE-890D-430A-BCAC-2BB5C0AA935B.jpeg

·
Registered
499 Posts
What bumper do you have?
Yes you'll have to cut that to fit that bolt in. You should do it either way...

·
Registered
274 Posts
Here you go

They have since added our cars to their web page.

NO DRILLING and can pop it on and off at your leisure.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Seriously, I had an offset plate on my AMG for a few months and hated it. IMO it cheapens the look of some brands. Rally cars... maybe ok but not exotics.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I also emailed Hethelsport where the bumper is from and they said they may have a bracket that would fit the bumper. I’ll try to buy that first and if it doesn’t work I’ll check out the sho and Sto one. My paper tag is good through April so I have some time to figure out the best solution. It’s annoying as I thought the rho plate wouldn’t require any cutting but you never know until something actually arrives how it would work.

·
Registered
274 Posts
and thank you, this made me realize the tow hook from RaceEng I have on order would require drilling so I am trying to cancel

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
The Sto-N-Sho will be a much cleaner look, and no grill cutting required. I ditched my offset tow hook mount on my S1 after I got my SNS.

Of course that won't help you if you need to actually use the tow hook to pull the vehicle though...

·
Premium Member
6,353 Posts
Ston Sho on my Maserati...Doubles as a parking feeler. License plates are easily replaced...bumpers $$$$$$

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Or the quick and cheap way is to use Command wire hooks. Stick a couple on the top back of the plate, then apply a strip of adhesive foam tape (usually sold to seal cracks around window air conditioners) along the bottom back of the plate to keep the plate from rubbing. Then just hang the plate on the grill. My plate's been on for 4-5 years without falling off, but I can take it off if I want to clean around it. Any time you stick a plate over the grill, you should watch for engine overheating, but I've never had a problem with that.

(All credit for this MacGyverism goes to Squidward.)

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
I had the Rho Plate on my Elise, and all 3 Evoras. It doesn't require any cutting with the stock bumper, but I guess it does with the Hethelsport bumper (or grille, rather).

·
Registered
274 Posts
IMO, for future readers, the simple cotter pin removal model to the Sto n Go has better clearance and no chance of scraping losing your licence plate since it just removes and gets thrown in the trunk.

·
Registered
274 Posts
For the OP, you should still cut a hole so you have towing ability.
I suggest you find a black plastic ring (maybe with a plug to hide the hole), cut the hole and glue in the ring to look cleaner.
Right now you have no towing solution for a track, breakdown, cough (police officer/parking violation), etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts