The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I want to remove the Stage II exhaust (installed by the dealer before delivery) and reinstall the OE exhaust.

The dealer wanted 3 hours of labor and I didn't see why it would take a trained tech that much time. Maybe thats just what the book says.

Could someone please give me, or point me to, instructions for removing the Stage II and reinstalling the OE exhaust, plus any out of the ordinary tools I will need?

I appreciate any help!

Harry

·
Registered
485 Posts
Harbir,

Why are you removing the Stage II? I am actually planning on Decat to make mine louder :evil:

In anycase I would think that you could just follow these Stage II install instructions. Should not be more than a 20 minute job. You just need some good PBlaster and a clamp.

Stage II install

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob,

Thanks for that link!

As for why I am removing it, I have debated it on and off for street use, but decided to keep it. However, its turning out to be a problem at the track. I can't hear my instructor over its blare unless the volume is turned up high enough to feel like my ear drum is getting stabbed. By the end of the session, I have temporary hearing loss.

I had hearing damage due to excess noise some years ago and I am very sensitive to that now. I drive the elise with earplugs all the time.

So I figure, its time for the Stage II to go.

thanks again for the link!

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Shouldn't need any special tools just take the rear diffuser off and loosen the bolts for the hangars on each side then loosen the clamp that holds it to the cat and wiggle it out. It's pretty self explanatory once you get in there. I would get a new clamp though as the factory one tends to fail if you ever tighten and loosen it, basically it's not re-usable.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
+1 on new clamp. My stage 2 fell off at an autocross this past weekend. Lost some runs while I fixed it...

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
+1 on new clamp. My stage 2 fell off at an autocross this past weekend. Lost some runs while I fixed it...
If it's SCCA you can declare a 10 minute mechanical and make up your runs after you fix the exhaust.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the OE exhaust is on. Getting at the driver side hanger bolts was a royal pain is arse. but for the that, it would have taken me an hour or so. as it was, it took me for ever. ugh.

Anyway, I am glad of it. Its sounds strangled, but also meatier and refined and it doesn't blare loudly at high revs and/or WFO, which is what i need for track days.

Except now I can hear lots of creaking at the top of the rear window and the windows rattling in the doors when they are down. Annoying.

I heard the sounds earlier but they sounded muted. Now they dominate. I gotta figure something out. Earlier, with the Stage II, I could put in some ear plugs, and that would filter out all the rattles and creaks and still hear a clear rich exhaust note. Now its too quiet to use with earplugs all the time, which makes the creaks and rattles very dominant.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I use a set of emtech custom fit musician ear plugs with interchangeable filters. I have an insert filter that decreases sound by 9 db, by 15 db, and by 25 db. I also have a solid non-filtering insert that cuts it by about 35 db. I can adjust the amount of drop in ambient sound by interchanging the filters.

Your local audiologist should be able to fit you with some.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts