The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive tried everything to get the Rpm and Speed gauge to work.. Its just dosent... If i put a new Cluster in would the miles on my car go to the New one or do i have to bring it to the dealership

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did the battery and the speedo reset by holding the mile reset button dealer said i need a new one but they want to much i found used one but just wondering about the miles

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
I did the battery and the speedo reset by holding the mile reset button dealer said i need a new one but they want to much i found used one but just wondering about the miles
As far as I know the miles will change to what is currently on the used cluster you are going to use. There are speedometer shops that can change the mileage readouts or reset the cluster to zero, but it is not cheap to have it done and they will most likely not be familiar with the Lotus cluster. The dealer actually may not be able to change the odometer either. Typically when they install a new cluster, it comes set to zero and they install a sticker in the driver's door jamb stating the odometer mileage at the time of the swap for legal purposes. The other thing is that many engine computers also store the mileage these days which can lead to odometer discrepancies down the road. Try contacting Charliex to see if our ECU stores the mileage and he can probably also tell you if the cluster odometer can be reflashed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
When my car was a few months old, the cluster stopped working. The service department told me that if they replaced it, the new odometer would be a 0. They tightened all the connections and it has worked fine ever since, and I didn't need to get a disclosure concerning inaccurate mileage on my title.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yo, where are you going to get this checked out? what dealership? If its not under warranty I would reccomend the fort lauderdale collection. ask for jason. He has been nothing but great things for me in the past.
Im located in boca as well if you have any other questions feel free to hit me up.

·
Inactive
831 Posts
The ECU does not store the odometer mileage - the dash does.

When swapping dashs with other manufacturers the normal procedure is that you get the factory scan tool to read all the dash settings (mileage, oil life etc), swap the dash, then write the setting to the new dash. I doubt Lotus has evolved to this level of sophistication. In any case, if the dash is dead it's all fairly moot.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
yep the odo reading is in the cluster, the lotus rep says there is a place in cali that updates the new cluster, i always forget to ask the name of it when i talk to him.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm about to have my cluster replaced (speedo doesn't work, odometer does) and my dealer doesn't know about the place that updates the mileage. Who should I call to find out how to have this done? I keep hearing about a "west coast rep" but I'm not sure who that is.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just had my dash replaced. All mileages are reset back to zero, so i've lost about 6000km. Would have preferred it to be updated however the dealer couldn't do it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just as an FYI, my dealer talked to Lotus and was told "there is no way to adjust the odometer on an '07 yet." Lotus did make it clear that the '05s were "easy."

So it appears it somewhat depends on the year of your car.

·
Registered
786 Posts
My speedometer just quit working. Everything else on the dash seems to be working. For those of you that just had the cluster replaced, was that your problem? Regarding the sticker that they placed on your door, does it have the original mileage before the cluster was replaced?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts