The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!
121 - 140 of 187 Posts
Hey OddManout,

it could just be the dimmer function on the backlit display. If you hold down the button next to the ignition point it will brighten/dim the display cluster...I would try this first before getting to frustrated. Personally speaking, it is probably all that it is. :)

Good luck...I have to do this next week as I will FINALLY have time to work on the car.

Edit: HAHAHA< sorry someone beat me to it. :) Opps!!!

Finally got the new stepper motor soldered in and all buttoned up. Works like it should now. Just want to say thank you again to all that helped with my questions throughout the way.

Finally getting around to installing this! One question, I saw the difference with the yellow/orange EL panel and the white one. I like the white better, where does one go to purchase a white EL panel?

Thanks

Thought I would post final pictures for another completed display. Many thanks to Riceburner98 for identifying and fixing a bad diode which kept my EL panel from lighting up. This setup includes a faceplate and carbon fiber surround by t955152, black and white LCD, white EL panel, Riceburner98 LED rings, and the harley needles painted red. Super happy with how it all turned out in the end.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #128 ·
Thought I would post final pictures for another completed display. Many thanks to Riceburner98 for identifying and fixing a bad diode which kept my EL panel from lighting up. This setup includes a faceplate and carbon fiber surround by t955152, black and white LCD, white EL panel, Riceburner98 LED rings, and the harley needles painted red. Super happy with how it all turned out in the end.
WOW! beautiful!

Tried finally putting my plexi over the Harley needles and the plexi hits the hat. Anyone else have this problem? And before you comment, yes I cut the shaft down to the same size as the stock ones and they fit flush with the overlay.

Thanks
Corvus

Corvus, the easy fix is to get a hot glue gun and run a bead around the edge where the glass sits to raise it a bit. Also, if you bought the additional trim piece from Terry, you can put it under the glass as a spacer then glue it all together. I had the same issue.

Welp I'm worried the new el panel took a dive. Stopped working the other day. Needles, lcd panel all light up just fine except for the el panel. Will need to pull it again and see what's wrong with it. Worst case I will just need to put the stock one back in and/or hope that someone has an extra I can buy.

Oh no! :( Unfortunately the Post Office is closed now or I'd have one in the mail today.. I'll get one sent out when they open on Tuesday. If it just died then I'll replace it for free, no worries! Did it just stop suddenly, or get dimmer over time and fade to nothing?

Oh no! :( Unfortunately the Post Office is closed now or I'd have one in the mail today.. I'll get one sent out when they open on Tuesday. If it just died then I'll replace it for free, no worries! Did it just stop suddenly, or get dimmer over time and fade to nothing?
Nope just dead. Worked the day before, shut the car off and went to start it the next morning and it did not turn on.

Damn.. Sounds like a contact or wire broke. :( I would say before removing the clear plastic or anything (assuming it's glued on), try removing the back of the cluster and plugging the OEM one into the connector. If it works, then it's probably a broken connection in the EL panel, if so it's most likely at the crimp where they attach the connector. If for some reason the OEM one doesn't work when plugged in, a diode on the circuit board might have gone bad. The EL in my car didn't work (well, it was on but very dim), and it turned out after replacing all the big parts in the circuit a tiny $0.02 diode was the problem. I'll put one of those in with the EL, just in case as well. Unfortunately that's on the front side of the circuit board, so you'd have to pull the front cover / needles to get the board out..

@Riceburner98 welp it looks to be the diode or at least I hope. As I pulled the cluster and plugged the stock el panel in and got nothing. :( Starting the process now of ripping it apart again, hopefully I dont break anything (needle motor, clear retainer clips, etc etc) when I get it apart I will post pics of the diode that needs replaced.

:( That's not good.. Hopefully the diode takes care of it! If you look at the top middle of the board in the picture, you'll see a square blue plastic capacitor sticking up, then to the right is the EL driver chip (16 pins), then just to the upper right of that is the diode. (it has 3 pins). To the left of the round black painted inductor. In the picture, it's just above (touching) the red wire. Basically on the opposite side of the 2-pin connector that the EL plugs into. The easiest way (I think) to remove them with only one soldering iron is to make a blob of solder across the 2 pins on one side, then quickly touch the single pin side, and go back and forth between them. Both sides will get hot enough that the part comes off.

121 - 140 of 187 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.