The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My instrument cluster has been acting funny lately on my 2005 Elise. I noticed after driving over a train track that the RPM's and Speedometer went straight to 0 and wouldn't move and my gas light said I was on empty.

So I took out the instrument cluster and I checked the rear connector and tightened loose connections. And now the cluster works but only intermittently and the mileage has spiked to 600,000.

Do I need a new cluster or is this common and someone figured out how to fix this issue?:ST:

·
Registered
238 Posts
My cluster went dead for a day, someone suggested disconnecting the battery. It's been perfect since then. Not sure it will work for you but, worth two minutes of your time.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Sounds like my jetski! I had 55hrs on it at the end of a season but the next summer after sitting with a dead battery over winter....started up and showed over 150. Was never able to fix it myself or the boat shop. Go figure :)

I am not sure about a fix for the mileage...it is stored in the cluster itself and not sure how one would fix that. Maybe taking it to dealer or a repair shop with Lotus TechCentre software, if that can even fix it.

Mine used to do this interment on and off as well with no temp and fuel showing....very common and documented problem. My issue was a loose wire in the connector itself. With the cluster removed and car on I wiggled each wire until it would come back to life. Once I found it, I re-crimped a new pin. That fixed that issue for me but now I am running GARW's LCD cluster.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,600 Posts
My cluster went dead for a day, someone suggested disconnecting the battery. It's been perfect since then. Not sure it will work for you but, worth two minutes of your time.
In addition to the above, step on the brake pedal for 5-10 seconds before reconnecting the battery.

San

1 - 5 of 5 Posts