The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all in USA!

I'm Charles from Hungary, also member on SELOC, known as Yasec.
I do a lot of developments for the Lotus Elise, one of them is the 2mm thick reflexion free replacement glass for the Stack instruments. (Maybe also fine for other, later instrument versions, like Shurlock, etc...)

Our glasses are the same quality like the original ones, and the screen print is also grey colour, but there is another option with black screen print. (We do that last year, and the response was far better than we expected, so the black ones are now a new option!)

Replacement of the old glass is necessary, if the instrument was repaired, and by removing the glass, the glass is broken. Another reason is, specially by older Stack instruments, the screen print can falling down in the inside of the instrument, the only one method to solve this problem is to replace the glass!
...and a new reason is, if someone wish to have a new look around the instrument: change the colour from grey to black!:-D

The price for the glass is 15 GBP, the postage is 10 GBP. Up to 10 glasses, the delivery costs is still the same!

Feel free to ask me for any other details or questions!

·
Registered
912 Posts
Thats really cool is it easy to disassemble and assemble again?

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I've always wondered if my 1-3K rpm's register correctly, as the numbers are really close together. This one, like the new black cluster, has the numbers at even intervals.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Just noticed that the pic is for a S1 can you make a glass for a S2 toyota?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AFAIK, the instruments are all the same from dimension side.
The glasses are bonded in the instrument housing with a kind of black silicone.
Mainly, if the needles of the tacho falling down, or just slide on their axles, it is time to open the instrument from the glass side. (You can't repair it from the back side)
The other reason is, if the old screenprint is worn.
The last reason is, if someone wish to have the black surround instead of the grey one. You can stick a black foil to the outside, but that is werry unprofessionell! :)

To remove the old one: heat up the old glass safely, and then try to lift up the old glass from the housing with a thin knife. The glue don't like the heat, once it is started, the whole glass can be lifted out! Then the glue must be removed from the plastic housing, and then, the new one must be glued in, again with black silicone.

Hope that helps!;)
Charles

·
Registered
166 Posts
Can you make one with the speedo re-calibrated to it reads right? On the S2's, they read ~8% high so if you spread out the numbers 8% it will be right.

Also, you can't just spread out the 1-2-3K RPM and have it work. The computer in the dash controls the needle position and won't have any idea that the printing no longer matches.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you make one with the speedo re-calibrated to it reads right? On the S2's, they read ~8% high so if you spread out the numbers 8% it will be right.

Also, you can't just spread out the 1-2-3K RPM and have it work. The computer in the dash controls the needle position and won't have any idea that the printing no longer matches.

Hello! Sorry, maybe you misunderstand me a bit.
I do just the glass for this unit, not the printed dial face!
The glass has also a screen print, what is the cover for the backlight.

But to change the dial face, you must remove the glass!;)

Charles

·
Registered
912 Posts
Hello! Sorry, maybe you misunderstand me a bit.
I do just the glass for this unit, not the printed dial face!
The glass has also a screen print, what is the cover for the backlight.

But to change the dial face, you must remove the glass!;)

Charles
OHHHHH i get it. Do you know where the owner of that vehicle got the overlay for the dial face? The dial face with your black glass is something i am defiantly interested in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OHHHHH i get it. Do you know where the owner of that vehicle got the overlay for the dial face? The dial face with your black glass is something i am defiantly interested in.

:)
This is not a kind of overlay for the dial face, that IS the standard dial face for the Rover engined older Lotus cars!
But no way to change the instruments. (Older to new one or otherways)
Yours works with CAN-Bus, the older doesn't.
...and if you change the dial face to something with other proportions in the rpm steps, then you need to reprogramming the whole rpm instrument!:(

HTH;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts