The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a little help..

If you order the base car...lets say with the LSS does it come with Firewall insulation or does that ONLY get added with the touring package???

When I am sitting in grid in a 90 degree day with the AC on waiting to make my run I don't want the car to get heat soaked from the lack on insulation.

I heard a rumor that the only way to get insulation was to get the touring package??? Is this true??? I thought you got MORE insulation with the touring package but the base car actually had some.

Someone please clear this up...thanks

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Yes, you get MORE insulation. I don't know how much the base car comes with, but I'm sure there's SOME between the engine and passenger compartment.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm really suprised I haven't seen real weight numbers (standard vs. touring) yet. I've seen estimation and speculation, but no real numbers other than "1975 lbs. with the touring package". Have these numbers been posted, and I've just missed them?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
They don't have a real car yet, as Lotus may still tinker with the interior, so thus no real weight measurement or actual performance figures.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Touring package adds 15 pounds total.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Randy Chase said:
I read 12, but either way, not much. I was also under the impression that the tour package insulation is aimed at sound deadening, not cooling.

Steve

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Sownman said:
I read 12, but either way, not much. I was also under the impression that the tour package insulation is aimed at sound deadening, not cooling.

Steve
I've heard it's for sound and temperature insulation/isolation.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Randy Chase said:
$1350, 15lbs = $90/lb... about the same price as ginseng, boron, wasabi, or summer truffles. ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
Sownman said:
I asked about this at the LA auto show, and according to Nick Adams (Lotus Engineer), the weight is "about 15 pounds". If they are still fiddling with bits of the interior, 12-15 sounds like a reasonable range; I don't know how they'd be able to provide a spec to the nearest gram if things are still jiggling around a bit.

As far as insulation, he noted that the aluminum chassis is very good at conducting heat from the engine, and that the touring package insulation makes the car MUCH more comfortable temperature wise- the extra insulation (both in the top and in the carpets & firewall) is definitely directed at both noise AND temperature.

For what it's worth...

-Knute

1 - 9 of 9 Posts