The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An article posted by Autoweek (link below) brings up a very good question. apparently, State Farm (my insurance company) cancelled a policy holders coverage based on his modifications to a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire. In particluar the lower springs were an issue. this brings up questions to me about many of the reported dealer mods that will be offered for our Elise. Will these be "unavailable" to those of us that are with State Farm? I was thinking of the stage 1 exhaust and maybe a turbo if they are offered at some point by the factory. What do you guys think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
wallabyguy said:
An article posted by Autoweek (link below) brings up a very good question. apparently, State Farm (my insurance company) cancelled a policy holders coverage based on his modifications to a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire. In particluar the lower springs were an issue. this brings up questions to me about many of the reported dealer mods that will be offered for our Elise. Will these be "unavailable" to those of us that are with State Farm? I was thinking of the stage 1 exhaust and maybe a turbo if they are offered at some point by the factory. What do you guys think?
No link... :confused:

I hope they don't drop people because of mods...I'm planning on getting the exhaust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,301 Posts
The case in question was in Canada. The article stated State Farm in US had no problems with minor mods such as exhaust and springs....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,607 Posts
Insurance companies are dirty.

Along those lines,

Our local autocross region had to password protect our results page because a local insurance company( PROGRESSIVE) was looking at results and dropping their clients insurance if they showed up as "racing".

Personally if I were an insurance company I'd WANT my customers to autocross...it teaches driving skill.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,301 Posts
I am sure it is just a matter of time until they get stricter in the US about various performance mods. Anything they can do to not pay...
 

·
Forum Founder
Joined
·
29,081 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
Insurance companies are dirty.

Along those lines,

Our local autocross region had to password protect our results page because a local insurance company( PROGRESSIVE) was looking at results and dropping their clients insurance if they showed up as "racing".

Personally if I were an insurance company I'd WANT my customers to autocross...it teaches driving skill.
I run the local SCCA site and we also have to not put names on results now. Some car companies were also checking for "racing" to fight customer warranty issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
Well, when I start tracking and autocrossing I would ask all of you to refer to me by my alias...

"...Fawn Liberwitz, from Ft. Wayne, Indiana..." :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Insurance Costs?

Anyone know how insurance companies price out new vehicles to market? I would imagine that the insurance for the Fed Elise could get pretty pricey as its a very rare car and will probably be pretty difficult to get parts for. Even once all the dealers are trained and up and running.

Any estimates on how much insurance will be? If they just go off of a sticker price it shouldn't be too bad, but then again if they want to push the issue because of the limited quantity, imported parts, type of car, etc. it could get expensive.

Thoughts??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,285 Posts
I just viewed the autoX video's. So, that is all that is - just setting up cones in a parking lot or is there more to it than that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
Re: Insurance Costs?

Jasonv44 said:


Any estimates on how much insurance will be?

State Farm just quoted me today $620/6 months. That's with a multicar discount, good driver (no wrecks or tickets since forever). I'm 31, unmarried, male as well.

I figured it would be more :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Just tell me you live in LA and I should have the exact rate...same demos. $620 is definitely a good rate, mine is actually going to be set up as a 2nd, weekend car...hopefully will come in around there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
529 Posts
Jasonv44 said:
Just tell me you live in LA and I should have the exact rate...same demos. $620 is definitely a good rate, mine is actually going to be set up as a 2nd, weekend car...hopefully will come in around there.
Sorry Jason...I live in Indy. I should also point out that my Elise will be a pleasure car with 6K a year in mileage, so other than where you live, the rest should be the same.

I'd be curious to see what difference there would be just based on the Indy vs. LA factor.


By the way.... Pacers > Lakers (or Clippers) :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
788 Posts
OneFastMiata said:
Insurance companies are dirty...

Our local autocross region had to password protect our results page because a local insurance company( PROGRESSIVE) was looking at results and dropping their clients insurance if they showed up as "racing".
Its hard not love insurance companies, first they "donate" radar and laser guns to the hwy patrol, next they will be at auto X events with a camera photographing plates. I'm glad I dropped Progressive.

I'm curious, what if someone wrecks their car at a drivers event, say mid ohio, i.e., not racing? Will insurance companies balk at paying damage? I'm guessing good luck.. better luck next time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
a bmw x5 wrecked and did 18000 dollars in damage at road atlanta during a track day and the next time i saw him there i asked the same question. he said that the ins company asked "what were you doing when this happened?" he told the truth and the ins company said " we know you were racing because we gat a read out on the computer from the x5 and he showed there was excessive high revving before the impact & since he told the truth they would cover it!"

i dont think all company's would do that though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Ahhh, nice to hear the truth shall set you free! Not always the case as I have certainly found that LIFE IS NOT ALWAYS FAIR...DOH!

As far as the Lakers.....it's more like the Dirty Lakers for me : )

Ego's abound, but then LA is full of ego....However, I do have to admit, ego's aside both Colby and Shaq are pretty damn good.
 

·
insert clever title here
Joined
·
7,702 Posts
nxm150 said:
I just viewed the autoX video's. So, that is all that is - just setting up cones in a parking lot or is there more to it than that?
That's it. In principle, it's very simple - just drive around the cones. In reality, it's very challenging and competitive. I think you can see how it's a very, very safe way to learn car control. Most of the time, the worst spin will result in impact with a few cones, nothing more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,285 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Looks like something interesting that I might have to look into as I would want to push the handling capabilities of the Elise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
WHAT IS THE DEAL!!!!!!!


I CANT FIND AN INSURANCE COMPANY TO SAVE MY LIFE. I CALLED ALLSTATE AND STATE FARM AND THEY SAID THEY DONT INSURE THE LOTUS. I LIVE IN HOUSTON, TEXAS

SO DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW MUCH IT WOULD BE FOR A 24 MALE GOOD DRIVING RECORD!!!!??????
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top