The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just lost my Elise because the insurance company just wanted to cover it's rear! They had a novice with exotics do the repair estimate and ran the $$ up. It came out between 70-80%. But that included things like a new clam (the front lip cracked, I wanna shave it anyways!). Does anyone on here have contacts with a dealers liscence? Familiar with Copar? I'm thinking about trying to get the car back at auction because I can fix it up EXACTLY how I wanted it and replace the stock parts with something better! (Adjustable suspension) Any ideas?

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Can you get an independent quote?
Not sure how it works in the US, and typically you would do that in case that the adjuster of the other party tries to lowball you.
But if the insurance company of the person you have an accident with offers you too little then you can go and get an independent estimate over here.
At least that's how it worked the last time I dealt with something like this, which was about 20 years ago...

·
give me my second cam!
438 Posts
Keep in mind that if you buy it back it will have a rebuild/salvage title. If this does not matter than go for it. Good luck, I hope it works out for you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Here in NV the insurance company let me buy back the totaled car from them for what an average salvage bid would have been. It did carry the salvaged/rebuilt title as noted above and once fixed the state DMV required an inspection from a licensed mechanic's shop. Ask the insurance company if you can buy it back without it going to a salvage yard, your state law and or insurance may allow it.
IIRC, once the clam is cracked it is supposed to be replaced per Lotus.

·
He's on fire!
3,088 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
actually in the state of Texas, the cost of the repairs must excede the value of the vehicle before a salvage title is required. This baby will keep a clean title. And my idea behind the Copar is I think most people will be scared of this car. Total damage unknown to them. Exotic, high priced parts. They offered it to me at a "salvage quote" but i couldn't afford it because the bank has to be paid off first. I'm hoping (longshot) to low ball the Copar auction and get it cheaper then the ins offered it.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
If I recall in MA you can take your car to three shops for estimates. Of course an adjuster will be sent to access the damage either from your insurance or the other party.
Your insurance company should be able to guide you if your not comfortable with the out come. I would try to avoid getting a 'salvage' title should you decide to sell the car. Buyers avoid cars with salvage titles unless it's someone looking for a cheap deal or to buy the car and part it out.
If you plan to marry the car for the rest of your life as I've owned my '74 Triumph Spitfire 26 years and my Esprit 11 years, then I would consider it a plan.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
VIN sccpc11156hl30258 . Why you ask? just for records on the forum? I wish I could get it back.. seriously, all it would take to put this car back on the road is upper and lower A arm, shock, front bar, oil cooler, and a quick trim on the front lip!!! and I do my own work so that really drops the price tag!

So back to my original question. Does someone on here have or have a friend with a dealers liscence that can put in the bid with COPAR??

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
VIN sccpc11156hl30258 . Why you ask? just for records on the forum? I wish I could get it back.. seriously, all it would take to put this car back on the road is upper and lower A arm, shock, front bar, oil cooler, and a quick trim on the front lip!!! and I do my own work so that really drops the price tag!

So back to my original question. Does someone on here have or have a friend with a dealers liscence that can put in the bid with COPAR??
What would you like to buy it back for price wise?

·
Registered
725 Posts

Anyone can bid through Copart, through a registered reseller.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
I just lost my Elise because the insurance company just wanted to cover it's rear! They had a novice with exotics do the repair estimate and ran the $$ up. It came out between 70-80%. But that included things like a new clam (the front lip cracked, I wanna shave it anyways!). Does anyone on here have contacts with a dealers liscence? Familiar with Copar? I'm thinking about trying to get the car back at auction because I can fix it up EXACTLY how I wanted it and replace the stock parts with something better! (Adjustable suspension) Any ideas?
So time to get the 2008 SC you always wanted, what's the complaint about? BTW as a reminder, look at your screen name... :D

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
If your car is at Copart, you can expect it to come back with more damage than you left it with. At least the one in our area uses a heavy-duty off-road forklift to move cars, even exotics. They drive the forklifts fast over bumpy terrain and are not careful how they pick the cars up or drop them. A friend's Elise was at Copart and I witnessed how the forklift operator handled it. The result was a cracked front clam.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts