The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone point in the right direction? Im in New Jersey if it makes a difference. I have a UK driving license.

I really need to get myself a car asap, its drivnig me mad not having one. For the time being im thinking of getting an Eclipse Spyder - but depends on how they will hit me with insurance.

Hope someone can help.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I'm no expert, but expect higher rates in New Jersey. I believe that they have some of the highest insurance rates in the country.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Mark,
I just don't know what the implications are to get insurance for a non-resident here in the US with a Non US drivers license.

Some insurance companies to look at would be Progressive, State Farm, GEICO,

Chris

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Get a US drivers license. I'm surmising that you're here in the colonies long enough that you're considering a car. I doubt it'll make a diff on your insurance rate, but the agent might give you grief for the UK License.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
The insurance will probably require a US drivers license. When I moved here, I talked them into giving me a couple of weeks to take the exam.

About insurance rates: If you go directly to one of the big insurances, you'll probably get screwed on the rate. They enter your data into the computer, and it calculates the price. If you just got a US drivers license, they will enter 0 for your driving experience, and you won't like the results of that, especially combined with driving a sports car... They won't take into account driving experience in another country.

I initially went through an independent agent, and he found one insurance that allowed him to make a judgement call on my risk. That was the only way to get a reasonable rate.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you give me an example of an Independant Agent? Im used to the terminology in the UK. Is this like a broker?

ConeFusion said:
The insurance will probably require a US drivers license. When I moved here, I talked them into giving me a couple of weeks to take the exam.

About insurance rates: If you go directly to one of the big insurances, you'll probably get screwed on the rate. They enter your data into the computer, and it calculates the price. If you just got a US drivers license, they will enter 0 for your driving experience, and you won't like the results of that, especially combined with driving a sports car... They won't take into account driving experience in another country.

I initially went through an independent agent, and he found one insurance that allowed him to make a judgement call on my risk. That was the only way to get a reasonable rate.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Definitely get US license

I agree, you should get a US (in this case NJ) license, but don't worry, the tests are very easy. In some cases you may be able to just take a written exam. If you have to take an actual drive, and you haven't yet become ambidextrous on the stick, you can even take the test in an automatic, as there is no separate manual/auto license distinction here.

BTW, ConeFusion is right - most big insurance companies will rate you as zero driving experience, and you can look forward to banks treating you as if you have zero credit history too...:)

IIRC , I had to go initially with Allstate rather than State Farm because State Farm wouldn't take me at all, but Allstate would, at a price...

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Welcome Mark,

I believe he means a broker rather than an insurance company directly. Good luck! Just call a bunch of places and get quotes for different cars. It cant hurt to shop around.

What did you do with your elise?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Re: Definitely get US license

roadrunner said:
and you can look forward to banks treating you as if you have zero credit history too... :)
Don't talk about it! :mad: I couldn't even get a Sears or Home Depot card at first. Kind of ironic if you can't get a Visa card even though you already have a Visa card...

Yeah, "broker" is probably the same thing. A guy who isn't employed by an insurance, but sells insurance from various companies, and gets a commission from them when he sells a policy. I used one of those web sites where you fill in your information, and then insurances contact you with quotes. The agent got in touch with me in response to that. Or ask for recommendations if you know people at your new location in NJ.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Small world!

LOL :D I also suffered the fate of being turned down for a Home Depot card (with a $500 limit I believe). Oh the humanity :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Check out New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance. They have the lowest rates in the state, but you have to work for a company that is affiliated with them. Also check out NJ CURE Insurance, but they require a perfect driving record, so I dont know how it would work if you are new to NJ.

Passing the driving test there is easy. I came a foot away from the curb when parallel parking and they still passed me. As you will soon learn, they give licenses to anyone there. Thats why the insurance is so high!

[email protected] Did you bring your Elise with you or is it still in England?
I have to go to NJ in the beginning of June for a wedding. I'm debating if I want to drive the car all the way up there, and am not sure if the first deliveries will be made by them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
xxxotic said:
Check out New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance. They have the lowest rates in the state, but you have to work for a company that is affiliated with them. Also check out NJ CURE Insurance, but they require a perfect driving record, so I dont know how it would work if you are new to NJ.

Passing the driving test there is easy. I came a foot away from the curb when parallel parking and they still passed me. As you will soon learn, they give licenses to anyone there. Thats why the insurance is so high!

[email protected] Did you bring your Elise with you or is it still in England?
I have to go to NJ in the beginning of June for a wedding. I'm debating if I want to drive the car all the way up there, and am not sure if the first deliveries will be made by them.
Thanks for the info. No I sold her :**( www.elise-s2.co.uk I dont want to take down the web page :**( Im definitely going to get one here a some point in the next couple of years.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts