The Lotus Cars Community banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Wow, 7000+ views. I've pretty much experienced anything you can think of during an insurance claim (or two), so I am hoping that this thread can be helpful for others or at least encouraging if you thought YOU had bad luck...

So, here's the latest. Shortly after discovering the crack in the rocker panel, I talked with the shop and they were booked for a couple weeks. I decided to take the car out for another drive, and after a few hours she died on me. (See this thread for the long story: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f101/no-fuel-pressure-relay-clicks-280385/ )

I finally got her running and back to the shop today, so hopefully it won't be too long now before they are done. Fingers crossed! After this, I don't know what I'll do. It'll be kinda weird feeling like I actually have the car again...

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Update time! I picked up my car yesterday with a newly painted rocker panel. They added a bit more clear coat to it for protection as apparently this is what SUVs and trucks do. The rocker panel and front clam look to match the rest of the car very well, so I am happy with how it has all turned out. Plus, I know have a written estimate of how much it costs to paint the given panels. Looking at those rates, I may have the high impact areas resprayed every couple years.

Anyways, I hope to not have to add any more to this thread now. After what has turned into quite a ride, I now have the Elise tucked in nice and happy with plenty of driving in her future. I just hope that this thread can serve as some guidance to anyone who goes through a similar situation.

A smart man learns from his own mistakes; a wise one learns from the mistakes of others.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Holy sh!t. And here I thought *I* had the worst luck with shops dicking me over. I think I may have to give the crown up to you, sir. Much respect for not losing it and setting something on fire. You have paid your dues. If there is a god, you should be totally fine for a few decades now.

And just remember, if anything bad DOES happen again... what is the saying...???... he moves in mysterious ways.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Holy sh!t. And here I thought *I* had the worst luck with shops dicking me over. I think I may have to give the crown up to you, sir. Much respect for not losing it and setting something on fire. You have paid your dues. If there is a god, you should be totally fine for a few decades now.

And just remember, if anything bad DOES happen again... what is the saying...???... he moves in mysterious ways.
Concerning paying my dues, I will have to pay my current insurance premium for almost 20 more years before I lose money on insurance, haha

As bad as it has been, I have learned a lot, gained patience, and it keeps everything in perspective. It is just a car, there are more important things in life.

They say to never pray for patience because the only way to get it is through sucky situations, haha

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Who has the worst luck in the world? This guy!

ImageUploadedByAG Free1432421062.858896.jpg

I hit a piece of metal on the highway. I think in going to have the shop patch it up but not paint it. Then I'll spray both the rockers in black PlastiDip

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
26 Posts
You are having a rough time with the car. But I really liked what you said about it being just a car, which at the end of the day that's all it is, and patience. I see people crying over their P-cars, like a member of the family got hurt and at the same time they want it to be fixed "yesterday"! Good luck and don't let this crap get you down!

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
You are having a rough time with the car. But I really liked what you said about it being just a car, which at the end of the day that's all it is, and patience. I see people crying over their P-cars, like a member of the family got hurt and at the same time they want it to be fixed "yesterday"! Good luck and don't let this crap get you down!

I just started laughing when I saw it. My wife didn't think it was so funny though. It is very similar to some damage they fixed for $530, so I know that'll be my max hopefully. I figure I'll just have them fix the fiberglass, and I'll spray both my rockers with PlastiDip like I had been planning. Or I may just slap some duct tape over it and call it a day. Yeah, I like that option best.

·
Registered
765 Posts
dang man, you do have some bad luck. We should have a competition to see how much crap goes wrong with our cars. Frustrating isn't it. Some of it you can just laugh off, but sometimes I just wanna punch a wall :mad:

I hope everything goes well for you.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
dang man, you do have some bad luck. We should have a competition to see how much crap goes wrong with our cars. Frustrating isn't it. Some of it you can just laugh off, but sometimes I just wanna punch a wall :mad:

I hope everything goes well for you.

That's a competition in which there are no winners, haha.

I went out to Walmart and bought a bandaid that should suffice until I can get the bodywork done. I don't have a personal garage or else I'd tackle the patch myself.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
And the saga continues.

At a Cars and Coffee lately, I was parallel parked on a shoulder where I had pulled over to wait for a friend. My wife and I were sitting in the running car when a Tesla S tried to park in front of me where there was wayyy to little room. He ran right into the front clam, so we took pictures and all that. As it turns out, he told his insurance that he never actually hit me and that all damage was preexisting. Thankfully someone took a picture of my car an hour earlier, so I have sent that to his insurance to prove that it was not damaged. I also sent his insurance the page from his owner's manual that says, in bold lawyer-ese "never drive by the rear view camera alone. It is not a substitute for capable driving". Oh, and they are trying to discredit the witness because he is a fellow Lotus owner despite being right beside my car when it happened.

While all this is going on, I got an estimate that recently handled an extremely similar case from a local owner. I submitted their estimate which is lower than this other case's final cost, so it looks reasonable. My insurance sent an adjuster to the shop twice without telling me to even bring my car, so he finally called me and came by the house to see the car. Two days later, I get an estimate for about 20% the original. He even wrote the color down as yellow ...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Any updates? So since your clams are for sale did you get enough from insurance to buy new?

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Any updates? So since your clams are for sale did you get enough from insurance to buy new?
Sort of; I'll be losing a bit of money since I'll be redoing the full car, but I am just wanting to get the car 100%. I'm doing all of the work this time except for the paint since I keep finding things previous shops botched up. For instance, they never removed the door cards when repainting the doors a few years ago, so they just poorly masked them. Same for a bunch of gaskets, and I've overspray all over the bottom of the chassis I am now stripping off. There are also bolts missing in certain places (and extra bolts in others). I didn't have the space a few years ago, but now I do to finally get it all done right.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Did you like the turn signal delete enough to replicate it in the next version?
Yup; I am going with Greg's '10 Exige conversion, so the oil cooler intake blades will make for a much more natural turn signal location. That was really my only complaint since my turn signals weren't ever quite exactly how I wanted them.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sort of; I'll be losing a bit of money since I'll be redoing the full car, but I am just wanting to get the car 100%. I'm doing all of the work this time except for the paint since I keep finding things previous shops botched up. For instance, they never removed the door cards when repainting the doors a few years ago, so they just poorly masked them. Same for a bunch of gaskets, and I've overspray all over the bottom of the chassis I am now stripping off. There are also bolts missing in certain places (and extra bolts in others). I didn't have the space a few years ago, but now I do to finally get it all done right.
Wow, sounds like a decent project. It really pisses me off how lazy these guys can be. I had the same type of lazy masking off. I also have over spray underneath the chassis, on the beatiful door hinges, and on some rubber trim here and there. They guy also did not prep the base coat well enough because I have paint defects all over the car ("edge mapping"). Hopefully you can get everything sorted out and back on the road soon, good luck!

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Wow, sounds like a decent project. It really pisses me off how lazy these guys can be. I had the same type of lazy masking off. I also have over spray underneath the chassis, on the beatiful door hinges, and on some rubber trim here and there. They guy also did not prep the base coat well enough because I have paint defects all over the car ("edge mapping"). Hopefully you can get everything sorted out and back on the road soon, good luck!
Yup, for such a universal step (masking) it seems to trip up way more people than it should. At least if you screw up, correct the overspray with some thinner before it sets, for crying out loud.

Here's a prime example. I found these abrasive wheels on amazon though ([ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DPG4PJL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]) and they do a phenomenal job getting the paint off of rubber (and fiberglass and everything else). They can eat at the rubber a little if you get too hamfisted, but they are very forgiving. They don't last long though; I went through a dozen just getting the underside of my roll hoop cover stripped after using a gel paint stripper.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Massive update time!! TL;DR: Still in progress. As bad as I thought it was, it was worse.

Here are some examples of just how terrible the previous work was. Pictures are showing the ridiculous depth of body filler by the driver's rear side sill. Then all the resin dissolved with my paint stripper even though the factory epoxy didn't, telling me they used the wrong stuff. It also helped that they didn't even clean it (see the dirt under the fiberglass in the first picture), so it all came off easily. Eventually I just chopped the whole tumor out, backfilled with expanding foam, carved to match the other side, layered up a few sheets of woven fiberglass, filled, repeated all that a few times, and finally have a pretty sweet repair.
IMG_3604.jpeg IMG_3609.jpeg IMG_3610.jpeg IMG_4184.jpeg IMG_4099.jpeg IMG_4187.jpeg IMG_4188.jpeg IMG_5047.jpeg

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
The driver's mirror was another great example of terrible workmanship. I had put the mirror into a tree in that very first accident of mine, and there is a steel structure underneath that had gotten bent. Rather than straighten or replace it, they just used body fill to transition the new shape. I used my trusty profile tool to match the repairs to the other side, and got something pretty good. Just realized I don't have the "after" picture, so I'll update that later. But it looks great, haha.
IMG_3988.jpeg IMG_4092.jpeg
IMG_4093.jpeg IMG_4096.jpeg 59641541329__84979367-E4AA-4DC9-8568-252C3D1AA7B8.JPG

61 - 80 of 83 Posts