The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting close to purchasing a evora (been debating on evora 400 or Alfa gulia quad) and called my insurance company today for quotes on a evora and Alfa.

Alfa was $1,200 a year while the lotus was $3,200 with both cars being insured at less then 5,000 miles a year with no winter driving.

Financially the evora is already at the limit for what I can afford and almost $300 a month is higher then I expected. Any suggestions on who to use/call for a insurance quote? I am almost 50 yrs old with a clean record

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
I think Consumer Reports ranks/rates insurance companies.

All states are different, so most advice here wouldn't be useful.

Just call around and track on a spreadsheet.

If you're single, track on a bedsheet....

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Shop around, I pay under $1,500 for my 2018 Evora 400. I carry max coverage but a good thing to do is up deductible to $1k, that save a bunch

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes, evora is a lot higher than any other cars I have owned including an F-Type R, Vette, M3, 911 etc. I have 2 cars and homes and an umbrella with Liberty and I still pay $4400 for auto coverage only because of the Evora despite a $1k collision deductible. I am 36, married, clean driving record etc.

Par for the course.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I pay $1900/year for two cars (Evora 400 and 2004 F150) through USAA with a $500 deductible.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Evora Insurance

We have Erie for the cars as well as Erie home insurance.

An older driver at 75.

Allowed 8500 miles per year.

Traded in the '12 IPS 2+0 Evora after 7 years and 41K miles for a new '18 Evora 400 2+2.

Insurance for the 400 vs the '12 went up a bunch from $361 to $639 per year!

·
Registered
362 Posts
What state are you in? Age?
I’m early 50’s with a teenage driver and pay $1200 in NJ which is a high cost state.
Your quote sounds crazy high unless you are a 20s male with accident history.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the opinions/info everyone! Quite relieved hearing many pay quite a bit let then I was quoted.

I am in Ohio, 49 yrs old and single, no kids, clean record....

I called another insurance company, it’s a company who I use to use for my cars in the last, have my Buell motorcycle insured through this hem, hopefully get a call from them tomorrow on their cost.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check with Hagerty. They came in significantly below State Farm for me, and I have everything else in my life insured with SF (multi-car, multi-line, etc.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had State Farm for years and they wanted something crazy, like $3,000/yr., to add my Evora to a plan that previously just had a Mazda sedan. I searched around and most places wouldn't insure the Lotus at all. I tried Geico and was surprised to learn it was cheaper for me to add the Mazda and Evora than it was for me to remain with State Farm. I was probably being ripped off as I had had SF forever (since I was a teenager, even) and of course no insurance company is going to lower your rates without you threatening to switch.

I have comprehensive and collision on both cars, with uninsured and under-insured coverage ($250k) and $100k property damage liability. $2k deductible for the Evora. My premiums are just a hair over $1,000 a year, and shockingly just $520 a year for the Evora. I've also never had a collision or claim though, knock on wood.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Def check with Haggerty.
I've got my Elise and '74 MGB with them, - both garage queens tho, I forget how many miles I'm allowed on my specific policy, but I pay $600 a year.

·
Loves to talk
1,059 Posts
I'm over 65 (and that's all I'll admit to) and in Tennessee, I have a clean record for the moment. I'm with Safeco and insure five vehicles with them including two bikes. The Evora is about $1600 which is over three times what I pay for my modded GTI but that's not worth 25% of the value of the Evora.

Haggerty didn't offer me a lower price but did require lower annual milage.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I'm 46, no points or accidents and I pay 1,400 annually with Geico on my 2017 Evora 400 for max coverage, full tort (right in PA to sue for things other than direct vehicle or medical expenses), and a 1,000 deductible. I do almost 10K miles per year.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm 31 and only pay $2200 a year through Grundy's MVP program. The catch is that you need to insure 100,000 worth of vehicles with them, which is easy when one car is 80-90k.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'm 31 and only pay $2200 a year through Grundy's MVP program. The catch is that you need to insure 100,000 worth of vehicles with them, which is easy when one car is 80-90k.
Do you mind sharing your coverage limits and deductibles? One day I'd like to upgrade to the 400, but I'm wondering if my insurance would shoot up.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Do you mind sharing your coverage limits and deductibles? One day I'd like to upgrade to the 400, but I'm wondering if my insurance would shoot up.
100/300/100, with $1000 deductible, and uninsured motorists for 100/50. Also, I have multiple cars on that policy, so that's why it looks a bit high.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Insurance policies are only as good as their claims process. Over the past 20 years, I have had claims with Liberty, Allstate, Geico and Progressive and they have all been honest and relatively easy to deal with when you need to make a claim.

These specialty / niche companies like Haggarty or Grundy - can you guys post up if you have any claims experience with them and how it went?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts