The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, long time listener first time caller :nanner2:

My question is: How much are you guys paying for auto insurance. I got a quote from AAA on a 2005 elise and they want 3500/yr :eek:
Im 24, with no accidents and no tickets. Is this typical? I know AAA can be expensive, but I did some searching and found a few people who said they are only paying around 1k. Do you get a deep discount if your only putting 3k miles/yr on it. Let me know what the deal is. Thanks!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think I'm around 2k/year in NJ with State Farm

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats not so bad, I've heard state farm is another fairly expensive insurance provider too. If i could swing 1500/yr i would be stoked, as i am paying only 600/yr for my '90 bmw 535im. Its not that i can't afford the payments its just thats a lot of moneys that could be spent elsewhere. ifykwim

·
Registered
682 Posts
Make sure you don't have full glass or anything that would drive it up.

I'd say it sounds ok though. I'm 23, had an Exige S valued at around 50K. I was paying $280 a month through USAA (which gives amazing rates). I think you should just put a giant paper bag over the car and drive it for a year. Or cleverly disguise it as a shrubbery for a year. Then you won't need insurance until you're 25!

·
Registered
890 Posts
insurance cost

Hello there, long time listener first time caller :nanner2:

My question is: How much are you guys paying for auto insurance. I got a quote from AAA on a 2005 elise and they want 3500/yr :eek:
Im 24, with no accidents and no tickets. Is this typical? I know AAA can be expensive, but I did some searching and found a few people who said they are only paying around 1k. Do you get a deep discount if your only putting 3k miles/yr on it. Let me know what the deal is. Thanks!
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/insurance-quote-47342/#post826132

Many posts on insurance costs.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Most (all?) insurance companies will lower your rate once you turn twenty-five years old.

Some other factors:

Location?
Credit score?
Marital status?
Multi-car discount?

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Just paid the bill to State Farm on my Elise and it is $338 for 6 months with full coverage and a $250 deductable for collision/$0 deductable for everything else.

Finally there is something good about being an "old" married guy! :nanner:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wow - I only pay like $139/mo for my Exige AND my Eclipse. But then again, I am old now. . .26. Allstate.

Being female has its advantages too, so you could always have an operation to lower the cost of insurance. . .

·
Registered
171 Posts
I got quoted $460/mo for 500 deductable on an 06 exige. I'm 22 with no tickets....

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
age - 33, 1 ticket: criminal speeding, $1180/year, Liberty Mutual. Had Geico before, was $1080/year, but they tripled my rate for no reason.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...if you're young, particularly with a less-than-perfect driving history, insurance rates on these cars can be brutal - even worse than what you were quoted...

·
Premium Member
184 Posts
nationwide - about 1100/yr for the Exige S
it is actually cheaper to insure than the Evo IX it replaced!
Also cheaper than the Evo X also on the policy (about 1200-1300/yr)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm with USAA and it's $140/month which is actually cheaper than my junk car I drove in high school

·
Registered
83 Posts
try Progressive
I was with progressive when I only had my 2004 Tacoma 4x4 and adding a 2007 Exige S was brutal. I don't think they have a rating code for it and they wrote the policy for stated value. $3000/year for the Tacoma + Exige S.

I added it for the short term as I shopped around, the best deal I got was through Amica. I moved my home owners over to Amica also and I'm down to $1500/year for both vehicles with $500 deductible and high liability limits.

29, male, 1 accident 2 years ago.

-chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just got a quote from my agent -- $484/6 months or $77/mo. 24, male, no tickets, married, and subtract ten percent from that once we buy a home and homeowners' insurance in the next month. Surprisingly low! Getting married is the best thing a guy can do for insurance.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Just got a quote from my agent -- $484/6 months or $77/mo. 24, male, no tickets, married, and subtract ten percent from that once we buy a home and homeowners' insurance in the next month. Surprisingly low! Getting married is the best thing a guy can do for insurance.
I hope you got married for more than insurance purposes. :p

·
Registered
27 Posts
If the Lotus is listed as your primary car then the insurance will be pretty high. If you have another car as your primary and the Lotus is added on as a "weekend" car then it will be much lower. I got a quote from AAA and it was only about $800/year for full comprehensive coverage with $500 deductible, Uninsured etc. as an add-on to my existing insurance (I am also looking to buy).
Good Luck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts