The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK,

I found a thread from earlier this year on insurance, but based on my quotes and a couple other posts, it seems like insurance companies have shifted their rates a bit since then. Perhaps we need to check in every 6 months or so to help new people.

I am single, 30's own house, live in the nice part of a so-so zip code. no discount for home insurance. 2007 exige S.

Quote just for exige from Progressive - no multicar disc.:
~$3000+ for six months!!!
$1000 deductible collision comp.

Geico sent me to their "high risk/exotics" underwriters, I guessed that wasn't going to be cheap and didn't follow through.

Allstate quote includes liability on 99 vw golf w multicar disc.:
~$1000 for six months (leading candidate)
$500 deductible collision comp.

I'll update this if I get more quotes, but kind of doubt i'll do better than Allstate with a reputable company (no wawanesa!) so will likely just sign up there & move my house over too.

Thanks,

GM

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
I live in Ontario. I am 51 and thinking of buying an Elise. I was quoted about $1500 Canadian (about $1300 US) per year. That surprised me. I was expecting much higher. I guess being over the hill has some advantages.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, Allstate doubled their quote since I posted this. Ouch.

Farmers came in at $735.20, so going to go with them. This time I printed out the quote so they can't update the website. Ugh.

gm

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
I just switched from State Farm to Farmer's. I pay about $800/6 months for max coverages and $1000 deductible and 12,000 miles per year. But I do have multiple vehicles and home insurance discounts. 29 year old female.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I live in Ontario. I am 51 and thinking of buying an Elise. I was quoted about $1500 Canadian (about $1300 US) per year. That surprised me. I was expecting much higher. I guess being over the hill has some advantages.
Well New-Brunswick is normaly cheaper the Ontario (pay & cost of living) but I got my Elise last year at 24 years old, and payed $1350 for full coverage for 1 year with first accident forgiveness. In the winter months I dropped the coverage down to only fire/theft and got $850 back. So basicly it`s only $500 for a year with the car parked for a couple months. (canadian money)

·
Registered
769 Posts
I've had Geico for ten years, and they flat out refused to add the Elise as a second car onto my account, so I went looking elsewhere. After calling a bunch of places, Allstate did come out to be the cheapest, but the fact of the matter is, the Elise is an expensive car to insure.

I think my premium for the Elise and an Infiniti G35 is about $850/6 months, and this is under an umbrella policy with renter's insurance, professional discount, and a no ticket/no accident driving history.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Wow,
-sounds like Progressive just simply doesn't want to insure these cars.
-and I'm rather impressed that some of you 20-somethings managed to find some reasonable rates.

It's amazing how across the board the rates are for our cars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am surprised that Progressive's quote is so inflated. I have a 1989 Esprit Turbo. My six-month premium with Progressive is $284 - that's lower than the premium on my other car (a 2000 Nissan Xterra).

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just got a policy with Allstate. I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, 37, female, single, with one accident in the past 3 years (which was totally my f*tard of an ex-boyfriend's fault, but that's another story :wallbang:).

I have discounts for home insurance, multiple vehicles, and excellent credit (this is actually important for insurance rates).

My coverage is collision and comprehensive, 50/100/50, with Personal Injury Protection, and a $500 deductible.

My rate is $414 for 6 months.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Last year I bought my elise. Geico added the elise to my two other cars and the rate went down from about $1400 per year for 2 cars with Allstate to $1200 per year for all 3 with Geico. Allstate then complained that they were going to raise my homeowners insurance and umbrella policy rates because I was getting a discount for having car insurance with them also. So then I switched the homeowners and umbrella policies to Geico also and saved another $1500 per year.

Im 42, one fender bender my fault a few years ago (damn expedition takes 3 blocks to stop), one minimual speeding ticket. Quotes are for my wife and I as drivers. We are in Illinois. Ford Expidition, Volvo XC90, Lotus elise.

Wall Street Journal published a article about how Geico is cheaper than the other big name insurance companies because it doesnt have agents and offices all over so there is no middle man and less overhead. I believe it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Progressive insured me no questions asked. 2007 Exige S insured for $55k for $720 (6 months). This was the cheapest quote I was able to find, but my rates are supposed to go down quite a bit once an accident from almost 5 years ago gets cleared in October of this year.

Oh and don't get Geico. I had them and they were nothing but problems. NEVER again!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
i have allstate.it is 650 for the lutus and my crappy daily driver for 6 months.i was shocked that they came in this cheap.i was paying 800 on my s2000 by itself.switching to allstate with both cars also made my homeowners insurance cheaper too.im 41 and i have 2 speeding tickets on my record now.i had a clean record for 7 years.then 6 months before i insure my lotus i get two tickets.but im pleased with my rates.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
USAA in Northern Virginia charges $602 per six months for coverage on the Elise and my MINI Cooper S. So $1204/year. I don't drive that much, not at all during rush hour. I also have two scooters, and live in a walking town, so no need to drive except for fun.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Me:

23 Year Old Male, Single, Dallas, Excellent Credit Rating, Multiple Car Discount, 1 Accident (car totalled) in the past year, 3 Traffic Citations ever (none of which were speeding tickets).

When I bought my Elise 4 months ago now, nationwide refused to insure it. I then switched to Geico, and for 6 months, I pay $1404 for both cars. The mazda is actually twice as expensive as the lotus for me.

TTZip, what problem did you have with Geico? Kinda freaking me out.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I pay 100 bucks a month for my exige and 50 bucks a month for my yaris
500 deductible
full coverage
lots of coverage for injury/damage
USAA

·
Registered
126 Posts
I bought a new policy from Progressive in February for around $1200/year. I'm in my 50s with one speeding ticket. This is a single car policy.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Me:

23 Year Old Male, Single, Dallas, Excellent Credit Rating, Multiple Car Discount, 1 Accident (car totalled) in the past year, 3 Traffic Citations ever (none of which were speeding tickets).

When I bought my Elise 4 months ago now, nationwide refused to insure it. I then switched to Geico, and for 6 months, I pay $1404 for both cars. The mazda is actually twice as expensive as the lotus for me.

TTZip, what problem did you have with Geico? Kinda freaking me out.
I had a 93 MR2 Turbo which was totaled nearly 5 years ago while on Geico. The police report and insurance company both agreed it was not my fault and I still had to fight with Geico to pay out for 3 months before I saw any money from them. On top of everything they tried to give me only $3k for the car. :huh: At that point I have had enough and threatened them with legal actions at which point a proper check was issued to me and I moved from there instantly. Be very careful with them that they even insured your car properly. They seem like massive scam artists when you actually figure everything out.

On side note you should join us: http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f109/saturday-morning-drive-july-25th-9am-75216/

·
Registered
13 Posts
i've had an interesting insurance experience with the lotus.
i had geico for 10 years in the dallas area and they refused to insure the lotus elise for me as a third car even though i had them for homeowner's and umbrella insurance.
i've had a few fenderbenders over the years but nothing serious.
progressive doesnt even have the lotus on their website when i checked.
i tried calling hagerty and they gave me a quote of about 700 per year.
i asked if they cover something like driver's edge at the track and they transferred me to another agent who told me that because i had mentioned the word "track" they would lower the rate to about 600 per year and not offer me uninsured motorist protection. i said it was just a question, but they said just because you ask a question, your account gets red flagged and this cannot be changed. i thought this was strange until i spoke to a friend who is a lawyer who works primarily for insurance companies. this was his advice to me as a friend:
1) if you can help it, never report anything to an insurance company. pay out of pocket for anything you possibly can. they will report ANYTHING you tell them to a centralized database that gets shared. even if it was not your fault. one way or another you will pay for it down the road through higher rates with the same or another insurance company.
2) he said also get your insurance through a trusted broker and not direct from the insurance company. the broker will be on your side while the insurance company will never be your friend. for insurance companies, its cheaper for them to pay out claims, report you to a database, and raise your rates.
i went through a local broker, insured with ACE insurance. pay better rates and i now have an advocate through the local broker who will fight on my behalf against the insurance companies (the lawyer friend recommended the broker company and knows this is the case)

tejs - i'm surprised geico insured you as they told me they do not insure elises in dallas.

·
Registered
204 Posts
tejs - i'm surprised geico insured you as they told me they do not insure elises in dallas.
Honestly, I'm surprised a bit as well. From what I gather, most people have not been able to get Geico insurance for their lotus here. I'm not sure what is so different in my case. I just called them up from their phone number on the website and told them I wanted to get a quote / potentially switch. Maybe they are trying more aggressively to take nationwide customers as competition?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts