The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like the dealers will be getting some U.S. spec demo's in the months following the LA auto show. Could we get an insurance quote off of the DEMO VIN numbers?

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
This issue has been of some concern for some time, there are a few other threads in archives, one under special taxes.
I think that the general feeling is that we think the first year quote will be off the MSRP of the car and adjusted accordingly after that.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I am aware of the other threads on insurance since I started most of them. I am not asking HOW MUCH it will be but just wondering if we could get the VIN # from the dealers and get a quote on it from our insurance company.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
I'm wondering if the companies would even have that data in their database, i.e. correlate the VIN with a car. Last time I checked (about a week ago) they didn't have the elise option in their pick list and the few that I've called speculate on coverage based on the Espirit, which frankly is rediculous.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wouldn't the dealers need insurance on the DEMO's they get? Where would they get that insurance from?

·
Registered
296 Posts
nxm150 said:
wondering if we could get the VIN # from the dealers and get a quote on it from our insurance company.
The VIN will be useless because there is no others to compare it to. The insurance will be based off the MSRP and basic layout of the car for quite some time until there is a database profile built for the car.

·
Registered
296 Posts
nxm150 said:
Wouldn't the dealers need insurance on the DEMO's they get? Where would they get that insurance from?
Yeah but it is a blanket policy for the whole dealer. The actual vehicles are not independantly insured.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
I spoke to State Farm regarding the rates which will be charged for the Elise upon it's arrival here in the states and covering the car when opting for european delivery. At this point, they do not have anything firm but based on the specifications, my cost would be $2,400/yr. (full coverage, $500 deductable). For comparasion, I am a 31yo multiple vehicle owner with no claims, accidents or tickets (ever). The big issue for me is being located near Philadelphia Pennsylvania which has the largest number of uninsured drivers of any major metropolitan center in the country. Also note this was based on a Porsche Boxter and Esprit and therefore really isn't all that accurate.

As far as european delivery is concerned, forget coverage from your domestic carrier. State Farm will cover a driver for the US, Canada and northern most 50 miles of Mexico. Seperate coverage will have to be sourced from Europe.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
There are ways to get short term coverage abroad. I spent the summer down under and had not difficulties getting coverage locally.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
JD,

This is hot topic and one which I have to be careful what I write. Lotus is about 90% of the way there. LCU wants to move ahead and Lotus Cars (UK) is trying to figure out the specifics (esspecially regarding insurance). The program will likely not be like the ones offered by BMW or Mercedes. There will probably not be any discounts but there may be track (at Hethel) and stay packages. Offical word may come as early as next week at the press intro in LA (which I'm trying to fit into my schedule). Regardless, I should have an offical update of my Pistonheads article by the 7th of January.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
wallabyguy said:
There will probably not be any discounts but there may be track (at Hethel) and stay packages. Offical word may come as early as next week at the press intro in LA (which I'm trying to fit into my schedule). Regardless, I should have an offical update of my Pistonheads article by the 7th of January.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Whoops- I suppose I could deal with track track time:D I understand nothings in stone, but appreciate the info WB.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
wallabyguy said:
I spoke to State Farm regarding the rates which will be charged for the Elise upon it's arrival here in the states and covering the car when opting for european delivery. At this point, they do not have anything firm but based on the specifications, my cost would be $2,400/yr. (full coverage, $500 deductable). .
Someone at state farm is smoking crack. Thats more than I pay for 7 cars each year...including a $50,000 Lincoln Navigator, modded 3rd Gen Rx7's ( 3 of them) and Miatas ( 3 of them)...FULL coverage.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Jen,

A lot depends on where you live, theft statistics, type of vehicle (eg sports car), as much as the value of the car.

Example:

Full coverage on my two cars in Los Angeles: $1800/year
In La Jolla/San Diego: $900/yr

I am a bit nervous about insurance though. I've had to turn down buying a car in the past due to premiums being too high. In 2000, rather than buy a GTS, I really wanted a Type-R (which was about the same price)...you know, the last of the hand built, sport-tuned, old-style Integras.

Well, I called my insurance company to quote both cars, the Celica was $900, the integra was $2200/year :eek: In southern california, the integra (not necessarily the type-r) had been ranked in the top 5 stolen cars for 5 years, pushing premiums way high.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Yep I know. Kentucky actually has MUCH higher rates than most states which really burns. When I was searching for DeLorean insurance I was quoted on average $700 more than if I lived in Indiana or Ohio.

When I lived in Alta Loma /Ontario my insurance was actually less than what it is here.

Either way I loathe State Farm ( I had a run in with them once) so I guess I'll have to hope Aetna is better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you are talking car insurance, I'd recommend giving GEICO a try if they offer coverage in your state. The last time I had insurance for anything similar to this was 18 months ago when I lived in Manhattan. I insured a new 996 C4S with a 1k deductible for just under 2700 a year. At the time I was 32 on a relatively new (2yr) licence - I moved over here in 98 - had no prior US insurance coverage, and I already had 1 speeding ticket.

Needless to say 1 became 3 in relatively short order...

The next lowest quote was 3800pa, and the one after that 4300 (State Farm I think). A lot of places wouldn't even touch it.

The only other thing I'd say was that when I had to make a claim (I'd had the car a month and was rear ended by a cab), they were good. The car was appraised the next day, and in at the dealer for repair the day after. I was angry for longer than the car was away :eek:

Now I'm a named driver on my SO's coverage. When this toy arrives I think I'll be switching back...

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
AHHHHH!!! NO GEICO!

They are a horrible, horrible insurance company.

Just ask anybody who has been in an accident where the other driver at fault has GEICO or Progressive insurance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can only say what I experienced. They were as good asI could have wished for for me, and I hate ALL insurance companies.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can someone get the VIN number from one of the cars at the show? Not sure if it will do any good, but I want to give that number to my insurance company and see if they can do anything with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts