The Lotus Cars Community banner
21 - 40 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
put me in the never use GEICO crowd

I admit I have no first hand experience, but I've heard enough State Farm horror stories that I never want to use them. I've heard enough 'we drop you for tickets' stories from GEICO that I don't want to use them either.

I use Allstate and have since I learned to drive. They've never raised my rates for speeding tickets and claim they have a policy to raise rates for speeding tickets alone in this state (of course claims and other infractions are a different story). My rates are are reasonable and I get a multiple policy discount (homeowner's as well), so I have no reason to monkey with a different provider.

Your experience may vary. Like all things, most businesses have varying customer experiences.

I don't have an Elise yet so no rates yet.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Re: such low quotes

Is that quote for using the Elise as a daily driver, or a 2nd or 3rd car? I'm currently with AAA, but they quoted me a very high rate for the Elise.

I'm switching to Safeco for both my cars, using the Elise as 2nd car. My quote is $2250/year with $500 deductable. Does anyone have good/bad comments about Safeco? This is the best quote I've received by a decent margin.

fitnutrn said:
I just got a quote for the elise from AAA, it was $2900/year with $1000 deductable much more than any of the quotes here

·
Old Dude
2005 Lotus Elise touring, hard top, Starshield
1,326 Posts
Liberty Mutual
$245 / 6 mos.
$1,000 deductible
100/300
age 47, clean record - not tickets or accidents (ticket status expected to change shortly), multi car, homeowner's policy, 14 years w/Liberty; had several windshield claims and a homeowner's claim for $5-6K a few years ago

·
Old Dude
2005 Lotus Elise touring, hard top, Starshield
1,326 Posts
Did I say age 47? meant 57 - sorry - my mind is going LOL! Time to drive REALLY FAST

·
Registered
436 Posts
AAA quote. $1,200 per year, multi car discount, limited to 5,000 miles per year 100/300 with $500 deductible. Will probably move the mileage limit up.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Re: Re: put me in the never use GEICO crowd

babak said:
There are a couple of active threads for insurance discussion as noted above. Let's try to keep this as a quote/rate only thread so people can get an idea of what's out there easily.
Cheers,
ps. I'll delete my post after a short bit.
Go for it, but don't single me out :)

Anyone have rates for Northern Virginia yet?

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
My G/F has geico, she got rear ended, the other driver was at fault and gieco has done nothing but complicate the situation, and then low ball her on her cars value, that the other drivers insurance will pay for anyways... the service was horrible, bad bad bad.. at one point she had 2 adjusters, and neither one knew of the other. they also lied to her about the location of her car. (they allready moved it out of the wrecker yard) she is so upset with them, she has started looking around for a new insurer. it took over 3 weeks just make the property settlement - horrible.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
fitfan said:
My G/F has geico,<...> she is so upset with them, she has started looking around for a new insurer.
Unfortunately, you get what you pay for...:(

·
Registered
263 Posts
Per raggedy1 (Andy's) recommendation, I looked at Costco's insurance through American Express. They quoted me *significantly* cheaper than anything else out there. In contrast to what Geico quoted me:

Geico
~$870/6 months, $1k deductible
31/female/single/clean record
secondary car, though no multicar discount (main car insured w/another company)
8k miles/year limit
Amex is:
$550/6 months
100/300/100, $1k deductible
secondary car, 8k miles/yr

And switching over my BMW (primary car) also lowers that from ~$750/6 months to $340/6 months. That's almost $1500/year difference! (For both of them)

It does, however, make me suspicious when rates vary so widely... but I've heard good things about Amex insurance, so....

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
State Farm
$840/6 mo
$250 deduct (maybe i should raise this?)
100/300/100
31 male/married/clean record
multi-car discount, homeowners policy, lotus as secondary
They said my zip code (downtown san jose) bumped my cost up.
my wife collects speeding tickets, not sure if that effects me tho.

-doma

·
Registered
649 Posts
Hot damn!!! Their rate kicks butt! Waaaaaaay better than AAA, and quite a bit better than Safeco. Almost too good to be true really. I'll have to call them tomorrow morning to verify. What's really strange is at first I listed both cars as being garaged and got one rate. Then I listed Elise as being garaged and other car as being parked on street and got a slightly lower rate. :huh:

dana said:
Per raggedy1 (Andy's) recommendation, I looked at Costco's insurance through American Express. They quoted me *significantly* cheaper than anything else out there. In contrast to what Geico quoted me:

Amex is:
$550/6 months
100/300/100, $1k deductible
secondary car, 8k miles/yr

And switching over my BMW (primary car) also lowers that from ~$750/6 months to $340/6 months. That's almost $1500/year difference! (For both of them)

It does, however, make me suspicious when rates vary so widely... but I've heard good things about Amex insurance, so....

·
Registered
649 Posts
Well I got bad news regarding AMEX insurance through Costco (at least for me). Talking to them over the phone, they backtracked on the Elise. Said they could do liability but nothing else on the car. When I pressed the issue, she said she would refer my info to an underwriter and maybe they could give me a quote for everything. Doesn't sound too promising. Makes me wonder why they even list Lotus on their website if they want nothing to do with the car.

Still, if one is insuring a more ordinary car then their rates do seem great.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Re: Re: such low quotes

clrodrick said:
Is that quote for using the Elise as a daily driver, or a 2nd or 3rd car? I'm currently with AAA, but they quoted me a very high rate for the Elise.

I'm switching to Safeco for both my cars, using the Elise as 2nd car. My quote is $2250/year with $500 deductable. Does anyone have good/bad comments about Safeco? This is the best quote I've received by a decent margin.
I'm in LA and also have Safeco, but only on my Elise. I'm paying $565.00/ 6mo. They were the cheapest when I was looking. No experiance yet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Mercury Casuality (through AIS)
$4,223.60/yr for Elise alone
50k/100k
36yo male/married/clean record
multi-car/multi-year (6-years)/good driver
90046 (Los Angeles) Car is garaged.

This was the quote I got yesterday when I called to add the Lotus, replacing a Mercedes C240 that was around $1200/yr. Needless to say, I was happy to find this thread.

Has anyone tried some of the classic/exotic companies? The three I saw mentioned on another thread were Grundy, Leland, and Parish/Heacock. Anyone have any experiences with them.

Avoid General Motor's insurance (GMI). I bumped into the back of someone at a stoplight (about 7 years ago) and broke their taillight and dented their bumper. The car damages totalled $750, but GM also paid $80,000 in bodily injury (the max on my insurance was $20,000/person and there were 4 people in their car). then cancelled my policy. The next 3 years I had much higher premiums because of the bodily injury payout.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
I think the two major collector car insurance companies that have been discussed a lot are Hagerty and Grundy.

And the responses are not consistent. Some have successfully insured with one of them and have gotten extremely good pricing.

I called them and was told by one that they would not insure any car, if it was the newest car I owned. And of course they may have other requirements such as mandatory garaging, max miles per year, etc.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I got a quot around $650/yr from USAA using their collector car firm. They limit the miles to 2500/yr though unless you take it to shows, but then you have to give them the show information. I'm waiting to see the information they are sending me.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I just tried Geico and I was comepletely surprised at what I got. They quoted me at $2160 for 6 months on a Jeep and a 350Z. I have had one speeding ticket two years ago but come on!!!! I pay $1,460 for 6 months now at State Farm(Similair coverage). They suck service wise but I'm not going to switch if I can't find some one who charges with in this ball park. I'm going to call them to make sure ....I can't beleive their would be that much of a difference.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I tried Hagerty, but when I mentioned I would take it on a vacation drive they refused to insure me.

AAA was very high too - $3000/year range. The coverage would actually be provded by Progressive.

Costco/Amex ticked me off. They put me through the whole application/VIN routine, etc. and then told me "you have a ticket in the last three years, we won't insure you." Why not say that in the 1st place! Why waste my time? Their online quote engine is decpetive in that, since they can't actually identify the Elise, they will give a cheap rate. When they actually get the VIN, then they tell you what it will really cost.

I should have fought that ticket, it's been my biggest problem. I haven't had any tickets other than that one for the past 7 years. It was for 45 in a 35, in Tonopah, Nevada at 2AM on a Wednesday, 500 feet away from the zone where the speed limit rises to 70 mph. Since it's so far away, and they court appearance to contest was scheduled just 5 days after ticket issuance (sound like a "revenue enhancement" ploy or what) , I didn't contest. My mistake.

Safeco is my current company, but unlike some others here, they flat our refused to insure the Elise. Must be the ticket again. :(

Looks like I may be forced to go back to Allstate, but they would charge me 50% more for my existing cars than I currently pay. They do have a "on/off" feature for toggling coverage, which can save some money, but I don't like that I'd be paying a lot more for my existing cars.

I can't believe it has been this hard to get reasonably priced insurance for this car. The Elise is not that expensive. Are they getting wrecked as often as it seems based on the events on this board? Is actuarial data already building up?

I just need someone who will reasonably insure the car (for me, about $1500/year) and I don't mind a 3-5,000 mile mileage cap.

DLY

·
Registered
352 Posts
How are Safeco clients getting Elise coverage through Safeco? I just called them again, and again they told me they don't even have Lotus programmed in their system. This is the 2nd time I've been told that.

They tell me that indicates Safeco doesn't even want to insure the car. I asked them if they had some other reason for refusing but they said no. They would not insure if the car was not in their system.

Thus, how are you other current Safeco customers getting coverage? Or were those just quotes from an agent? If there's some alternate reason for refusal (for example, my 1 ticket) they won't tell me what it is...

DLY

21 - 40 of 202 Posts