The Lotus Cars Community banner
41 - 60 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
I went through a broker to get my Safeco. There was a lot of back and forth between her and them before they named the price. She said they "weren't happy" about insuring the car, but that they would.

I had a very strange experience with Costco/Amex. Their online quote is deceiving. They have the Elise in their database and quoted me a great rate, but when I called the next day they backed off. Then, a few days later I get an email from them with another quote that was actually lower than the original one! I called them back to ask about it, and the lady didn't really know what to say either except it looked like the quote was for full coverage on the Elise and my other car. Supposedly the contract is being mailed to my home, and then once I sign and return it takes another 5-7 business days to do a DMV search on me, etc. I'm hopefull this will still go through. If not, I'll go with Safeco. For the time being, I'm still with AAA, although their rate is high.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Interesting. They (Safeco) would not budge for me, even after offering the carrot of my home insurance. And they claimed they would not do stated value insurance either.

For now, I had to go with Progressive for $1020/6 months, $969 if there is a theft recovery device (Geotracker.) This was stated value insurance.

If I get some magic lower quotes (like AMEX/Costco giving me a callback like you) I can switch later. But I need to get some miles on the Elise, especially with the holiday break coming up. :)

I left my other cars with Safeco, since that rate could not be beaten. So I get no multi-car discount, the Elise is by itself...

thanks,

DLY

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Insurance will not be cheap for me either. I had a claim due to a icy weather fender bender last winter and the guy I hit claimed a bunch of phony medical bills and stuck my company for them.
Very frustrating!:mad:

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
JimK said:
Insurance will not be cheap for me either. I had a claim due to a icy weather fender bender last winter and the guy I hit claimed a bunch of phony medical bills and stuck my company for them.
Very frustrating!:mad:
yup, it's sacks of **** like this that help drive our insurance rates up. phony med bills is all we need

:no:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Good with GEICO

Just wanted to let everyone know that I have had a great experience with GEICO ... I am a single male, not quite 30, with a much less than clean driving record (two speeding tix in the last couple years, and at least one DUI from waaay back thats still on my DMV record) living in New York and GEICO insured me no problem.

I have a 67 mustang (daily driver, but in reality, its garaged during the winter) with liability coverage. I also insure the 2005 elise with all the bells and whistles (full glass, comp., collision, and $500 deductable) with $50,000 cash value.

My 6 month premium is about $1,400 total for both cars, and with my awful record I consider this a good deal.

They are EXCELLENT with website service requests, are able to change my rates via email, are very helpful in finding the best configuration of rates and such for me, and recently emailed me to say that they could give me %10 off if I did a drivers improvment course!!

I'm very satisfied with GEICO. It almost seems like, since I am in the "higher risk" - and consequently - "higher return" category, they have gone the extra mile to get and keep my business (and money)!

-=cixel

·
Registered
268 Posts
PS

and in case anyone is thinking of ripping me and my DUIs for raising everyone's insurance rates, lemme just say I am no longer active - I havent had a drink in 5 years now! -=cixel

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
jml1952 said:
Mercury gave me $575/6 months. I'm 52, married, no accidents or tickets in recent memory.
after a few accidents, your memory can be impaired:D

I went with Geico, about $600 for 6 months...

·
Registered
95 Posts
American Family has given me a rate of $370/6 mo. for comprehensive coverage w/ $1000 deductible. Car listed at cash value of $50k, pleasure car and under 7500 milies a year. My rate is based on a clean driving record, multicar (3 cars) discount and our homeowners insurance is with them.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I wonder why I got a high quote from Geico.....I'm going to try callin them.

·
Registered
538 Posts
PhillyPhreak said:
I wonder why I got a high quote from Geico.....I'm going to try callin them.
Ours is about $400/6 mo. for $300K/$300K and $250 deductibles. One ticket within last 5 years; multi-car discount; several accidents they've covered in the past (one for a brand new totalled car) but none our fault. Multi-car discount, 'mature' ;) drivers (i.e., one near 50 and one over 55).

We've used them for over 20 years now, and I've got nothing but praise for them (and I've never found a company who could beat their rates for us).

·
Registered
352 Posts
One factor I've often forgotten about regarding rates is location. A person in a sparsely populated, rural area, will often get much lower rates than someone in a high traffic and congestion place. So where people live is a important factor in rates.

DLY

·
Registered
103 Posts
INSURANCE

I looked all over for insurance in southern california. I'm 49 and my wife is 53. we both have clean records and we were quoted by gico and mercury $2,000.00 every 6 months for the Elise alone. We ended up with Costco for an extra $200.00 every six months to add the Elise in additon to our existing Miata LS and Toyota Rav 4. When I sell the Miata I will pay for the Rav and the Elise what I was paying with Mercury for the Rav and the Miata.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I live in Lower Merion.....10 minutes outside of Philly. I know if I lived in Philly my rates would double.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Re: INSURANCE

driven said:
we both have clean records and we were quoted by gico and mercury $2,000.00 every 6 months for the Elise alone.
Mercury quoted me $2k for 6 months originally. Just this week though, my current coverage was expiring and I called them again and told them I was switching if the numbers are still the same. They re-ran them and came up with ~$320 (Elise portion) for 6 months at 100/300/100 clean record, multi-car. Agent said she had to call some regional manager to find out how to enter the data right since it's still not "in the system".

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I've been calling alot of companies and no-one will underwrite a policy if they know the car is being tracked at all, including Geico.
Do those of you who are tracking your cars regularly just not tell your insurance company and take your chances or are there some specialty insurers out there that you are using?. If no-one will cover track-days, I'm going to go with Grundy ($621/year).

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Re: INSURANCE

driven said:
I looked all over for insurance in southern california. I'm 49 and my wife is 53. we both have clean records and we were quoted by gico and mercury $2,000.00 every 6 months for the Elise alone. We ended up with Costco for an extra $200.00 every six months to add the Elise in additon to our existing Miata LS and Toyota Rav 4. When I sell the Miata I will pay for the Rav and the Elise what I was paying with Mercury for the Rav and the Miata.
It took a couple of weeks for Mercury to sort out a quote on the Elise and the local office had to check with HQ to get the ok to insure it, but we ended up at $575/6 months, no mileage limits, $500 deductible. I'm 52, no tickets or accidents in last 20 years. My wife is 50, clean driving record also.

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
I got the final call back from my agent yesterday, and was pleasantly surprised.

Farmers
Full coverage
$470 every 6 months
$1000 deductible
28yo, single, clean record
multi-car & homeowners

If I want to take it down to Comprehensive-only over the winter, it's $170 every 6.

Not bad!

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
stay away from geico... they are great, unless you are asking THEm for money - then suddenly they don't konw anything - my G/F has geico - 45 days and still no check! and geico is only in middle as it was the other drivers fault... arrggg... they also didn't pay the renta-car, so it got billed to her credit card, now she has to get geico to send another check for that. what a mess - maybe this is a "not normal" experiance with geico - but it sux!

41 - 60 of 202 Posts