The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are several options on intake mod's and or replacements. Personally I like the look of the plastic intakes but mine are not as dark as I would like. The plastic has some greying spots on it (wax maybe?) and I can't seem restore them to their original natural color again. I have not used any products on them other than soap and water. I think while waxing my car I have brushed some was on the black grilles. I'm afraid to start treating them with something and do more harm than good.

What do you guys use to clean or 'treat' the intakes/grilles to keep them dark and new looking?

Options I have seen are:
Side scoops,
Mesh Replacements
Painting them.

Does anyone make a after market replica of the plastic intakes in say anodized aluminum?

Would painting them mat-black and getting a clear coat on them improve them? Discuss please.

Madison

·
Premium Member
2,819 Posts
Tire cleaning foam will get them looking nice. Just wipe off excess from paint/starshield. I usually wash my car at a car wash bay. Start with the paint conditioner, then high pressure soap (staying away from side windows), then rinse and finish with spray wax. Once dried with Chamois the car looks great. This is done of course in between biannual details.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Tire foam is bad stuff for plastic, it will turn it into a brittle mess after a while. Come to think of it, it's not even great for tires either.

Krylon makes a paint that is for plastic, works pretty decent. Fussion I think is the name of it. I painted a bunch of trim on my pickup a few years ago and it's held up ok. Was all getting greyish from sitting outside, truck is 15 years old and never been parked in a garage.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I never use tire shine anymore. Even though I think it looks good, if you do any type of "spirited driving" the sidewall flex under hard cornering will cause you to lose grip on the road.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
have you tried Mothers - Back to Black? I use that stuff for all the slats,grills,trim. Might take a few apps to lose the spots.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have not used any Mothers products. Have you used Back to Black over a long term period? Do you have to keep using it to keep the look sustained? Or does it add back in the necessary chemical/oils to really restore the color? When I was younger I tried Armor All once.. and that sucked, it seemed to force you to keep applying it to make it stay 'shiny'. I never touch that **** anymore.

have you tried Mothers - Back to Black? I use that stuff for all the slats,grills,trim. Might take a few apps to lose the spots.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
I've tried EVERYTHING to clean wax stains out off the porous surface of the grills on the Elise. That stuff just sucks it down in deep and most products just wet it and make it look ok until they eventually dry out and the stains are visible again. The only stuff I've ever found that actually cleans them is this product that was developed by a guy in the MINI world to clean all of the black trim that they have: Pre-WOW Pre-Cleaner by Black WOW, black wow trim cleaner. Works exceptionally well, and a little bit goes a long way. He also makes a trim dressing called Black WOW, which is nice too if you want a slight gloss.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts