The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attempted to put the 7 shift lights that come on the Shift-I into the actual instrument cowling?

Basically, remove the Shift-I components from the plastic housing, cut some holes into the cowling (for the LEDs) and wire everything up.

From what I can see on the back of the cowling is that I'll have to do some machining of the mid-beam plastic spine to allow me to put an LED directly in the middle of the cowling.

Oh well, I'll post some pics when I get it all together but I just didn't know if someone else had done this and if there were any pics out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm in the process of ordering an instrument cowling from an LT member so I can do it right and not have too much driving downtime.

Surprised someone else hasn't done it before but we'll see. Perhaps there's a good reason for that. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
244 Posts
I was looking for pictures of the dash and stumbled across this thread. This is exactly what I'm working on right now as well. Too funny!

I took apart my Shift-i. The LED's are mounted directly to the PCB. I decided not to mess with them, but maybe you are more brave! Instead I am going to hack up a used binnacle cover and somehow try to integrate the whole unit into the cowl.

Maybe we can bounce ideas off each other.

Here's a link to my thread.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/new-project-shift-i-integrated-into-binnacle-75162/

Jonathan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,769 Posts
don't have them integrated but the shift light is mounted to the binnacle. I'll take a pic when I get a chance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a 12v bench-top power supply and a voltmeter (lost my other one) in from Amazon today.

I've tested that the Shift-I 'boots up' when attached to the power supply so I know I'll be able to get the voltages and such that are needed to make this happen. Straight off the power supply, it simply runs the battery test mode and stays lit, so it's perfect for pulling numbers.

It does suck that the LEDs are surface-mounted but I'm sure we can get around that. I'll have to look around for the most elegant solution.

I got the new instrument cowling in, as well, so I have everything I need to try to make this a reality.

I'll have some time to work on it this weekend and I'll keep you guys updated. :)
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top