The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swapped out IC pipes on an S240 to discover the oem pipes, silcone connectors, IC and the IC sensor was coated in oil. The car came without a catch can so it has about 8000 miles of oil saturation.
I installed one the week I bought it, but of course too late...

My question is can the IC be cleaned or it the oiling not such a problem?
I think it reduces the cooling because it acts like a heat sink. Will the residual oil in the IC eventually pool at the bottom now that I have a catch can? In which case I guess pooling is better that it coating the fins.

-Robert

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I got a can of Chem-tool. Not the aerosol, but the pourable bottle. Covered one end and poured it in and shook the heck out of it several times until what poured out was clean

·
Registered
915 Posts
I've used mineral spirits, same method as cashxdr, works fine, doesn't smell, readily available. Whatever you use, just let it air dry before you re-install.

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,973 Posts
I'm sure it can be cleaned, but be careful with what you use. The IC is most likely 3003 aluminum so do some research to see if the cleaning chemicals you are using is highly corrosive with 3003 or not.

I do know that you should NOT use oven cleaner!

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I'll use mineral spirits. I was on another forum where a method was to use a gas station pump ... Pump gas through ic into a bucket... Thought that was funny.

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Same method. Denatured alcohol.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I did this recently...started with metho but it wasnt doing a good job. ended up pouring good old gasoline in and swirling it around a few times which got it looking like new. i followed this with a final rinse with metho again and let the whole lot air dry for a couple of hours.

probably good for 0 HP but definitely great for piece of mind.

(note: i removed the air temp sensor before cleaning as I was unsure if getting it wet would damage it).

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks.
I swapped the air filter, IC pipes, and put in a IC heat shield today but could not bring myself to flush out the IC.....maybe later

BTW: The filter swap (stock box) was from the factory Denso to a Cosworth no-oil filter and the difference was immediately noticeable. The Cosworth created a slightly louder engine note and more mechanical noises entered the cabin. I still could barely (if at all) hear the SC whine. Maybe it was because the ambient was 92 degrees and nearly 95% humidity.

-Robert

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Dood, you had it off to put the heat shield on, why not run something down it?

I will say this, catch cans.......I had Sector quick cans, then Sakiou Michi cans, both coated the IC with oil. Now I have the BOE vent to atmosphere can, no oil............

1 - 11 of 11 Posts