The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It looks like everyone is looking for a solution to the intercooler heat-soak issue. Some solutions are backyard do-it-yourself jobs, and others can cost thousands of dollars to replace the roof and/or factory intercooler with a bigger or more efficient intercooler.
How about instead of a bigger/more efficient intercooler, you bolted some sort of plenum (snorkel) to the engine side of the intercooler, which could channel the hot air from the intercooler out through the mesh opening of the engine cover. You wouldn't even need a tight seal with the engine cover, just as long as the hot air could exit out the back of the car. This would keep the hot engine compartment air from flowing backwards through the intercooler and then out through the roof scoop, as can purportedly happen. You might also need to relocate/remove or change the engine cover prop rod assembly. This all could be done relatively cheap.

Q

·
0 Posts
Still need cool air to cool.

Air flow problem can be solved with two $40 fans.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Yes, I've read that thread before. That was the "do-it-yourself" solution that I referred to. Not bad, but I think there are other possible solutions too.
:popcorn: :popcorn:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still need cool air to cool.

Air flow problem can be solved with two $40 fans.
Thought about this solution. But why splice into your wiring harness and add wires to the engine compartment, when you can have a simpler, non-mechanical solution?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Yes, I've read that thread before. That was the "do-it-yourself" solution that I referred to. Not bad, but I think there are other possible solutions too.
there are a grand total of a couple of hundred lotus with an intercooler in the US. the vast majority of those owners are not going to modify their cars in a significant way.

i'm sure there are hundreds of "solutions." perhaps one for each owner.

i'll sit back now and join in the :popcorn:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there are a grand total of a couple of hundred lotus with an intercooler in the US. the vast majority of those owners are not going to modify their cars in a significant way.

i'm sure there are hundreds of "solutions." perhaps one for each owner.

i'll sit back now and join in the :popcorn:
That's fine.
Just thought I could add to the conversation.

It's funny, but there is another thread in the Exige forum where a company is coming out with a solution that costs about $2,000 and it seems to have generated some interest. I just figured that a cheaper solution could generate some interest too. And one would not have to modify their car in a significant way, either.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think the root of the problem is the low pressure at the roof (center) inlet. The inlet needs to be in a higher pressure area relative to the exit. That is how at some speeds there can be reverse flow. (Simple physics) Yes, you could isolate the intercooler exit with some sort of bellows ( because of engine movement ) but, really the exit pressure is not that much lower than the inlet location so you won't get a big increase in flow.

Now if you cut out the trunk and made a bellows snorkle from the exit to low pressure area on the rear tailight panel (like the two-eleven) then I think you could see more flow from the greater pressure differential. Kinda hurts luggage space though.

Lotus knows all about this. They moved the inlet forward because that was the simplest solution at the expense of aerodynamic drag. My solution from the sides will also work. In the future I think Lotus will go air to water for intercooling.

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Run a 10 shot of nos on WOT
The primary complaint with nitrous oxide is the weight of the tank and the need to refill... it isn't always convenient to find a refill station.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Heat soak?...meth/water injection. And yes, I know it adds weight but the benefits far outweigh the slight weight gain. I don't even know what heatsoak is - it pulls just as hard on the 20th minute of a session as it does the 1st. If you don't want to spray inside the engine, then an intercooler sprayer, a mister on the outside of the intercooler, also works well...I have both on my STI, works amazingly well not counting the power increase, which was amazing...

NOS?...most organizations do not allow NOS on tracks. Strips...yes, real tracks...no.

Be good,
TomK

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Heat soak?...meth/water injection. And yes, I know it adds weight but the benefits far outweigh the slight weight gain.
Exactly... if you share the windshield wiper fluid reservoir, the system really only adds about 2.5 lbs.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Just a thought, and perhaps someone has thought of this already. But has anyone successfully ducted air from the passenger side scoop to feed cold air to the intercooler IN ADDITION to the roof scoop? Dunno if this is possible or not....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts