366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching, researching for past couple weeks but have had no luck

still in a huge dilemma on which intercooler i should go with

theres pretty much 3 options
1) RLS intercooler (~$1180)
2) Sector111 ProICduct ($1500)
3) Pro-Alloy intercooler (~$1400)

The sector111 proicduct comes with 2 hoses that grab air from the sidescoops directly to the intercooler and includes a heatshield

the RLS intercooler needs to add more $ for the extras (heatshield, shroud, extra hose for air flow)

the pro-Alloy includes whats in the sector111, which i think its the same product but I cant really tell from the sector111 site

ok, now that i listed the options heres what im actually planning to do to my 07 exige s is adding the koldfire 270+ tune and 3.0 pulley

I will be tracking the car probably 5-10 times a year, so all comments are very much appreciated

thank you

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
RLS. It's really a no-brainer. Research twice, purchase once.

San

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yes I agree. RLS intercooler is the way to go. I have the heat shield and 3 way duct shroud. Happy customer.

·
Premium Member
1,606 Posts
My RLS intercooler has been on my track car for several years now. I've got the 3 way shroud with side ducts and heat shield too. Great engineering, great quality, great product that performs as it is supposed to.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow
i guess RLS is the way to go!
and its going to be convienent for me to get majority o the things i need from them as well

thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
there is also the forge unit. The proally and sector's are the same thing. I searched for several wks and read whatever I could about the available solutions. There are several lotus related forums as I am sure you are aware. I dont think the available data is conclusive for the intercooler differences.

The one thing that is conclusive is that it needs to get more airflow. My personal opinion is that the stock core is actually big enough to support near stock hp with sufficent flow. I would certainly upgrade the airflow before the IC unit (or do both). The stock unit is realatively thin and an open tube and fin design which has less of a pressure drop (or you can think of it as less resistance to flow) for the external flow. Of course it is more restrictive for charge airflow internally than aftermarket.

I think the whole system is complicated and the ideal solution probably depends on power level, cooling air flow available, and the duty cycle and speed of the desired performance gain (track driving, vs stop and go traffic).

the only objective comparison I have seen actually puts the IATs lower for the stock core vs some of the aftermarket units when they all had the sidescoop ducting. This was at stock power levels on a track.

Anyways im not sure what i am getting at, except I think the main problem is airflow and not core size. I decided to order the RLS shroud and scoops to try with the stock unit, but I do not intend to run a smaller pully.

disclaimer: the above is my opinion based on reading data that others have reported. I collected no IAT data myself and I am not an expert, though I do have a graduate degree in heat and mass trasfer.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts
FWIW- the forged unit, unless something has changed, is worse than stock. 2 thinner tube and fin IC's tacked together. Looks neat, but doesn't work well.

The RLS unit is bar/plate. It's going to be more efficient than the PA or OEM tube/fin units.

-PV

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
i have RLS kit, too.

·
Registered
571 Posts
*Cough* Need RLS Intercooler Group Buy *Cough*

:)

Yes I agree. RLS intercooler is the way to go. I have the heat shield and 3 way duct shroud. Happy customer.
What kind of 0-60mph times are you seeing with your Mods Brian? Under 4sec easily, I assume?

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
Okay, okay! Group buy! I'll post now.

·
He's on fire!
3,290 Posts
The one thing that is conclusive is that it needs to get more airflow. /QUOTE]

I want to reiterate this point because I believe the same. Everything I've tested/read suggests that the OEM setup's primary bottle neck is the lack of airflow to the intercooler. An A/A IC is goign to have a tough time doing its job if there really isn't any air flowing through it.

·
Vendor
6,306 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but any air to air set up on these cars no matter how good (IE:RLS) is still going to suffer from heat soak, especially running higher HP where an air to water set up (Pro Alloy, Sector111) will not.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Air to water (and back to air), is probably a better setup for a car packaged like an elige. It is however a much more involved upgrade.

Im not really a fan of the term heat soak doesnt really have an engineering connotation. You could make an A-A setup work as well as the A-W but it will be very dificult to get adaquate air through the core in an elige.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts