The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to be clear, what I am looking for is a sensible upgrade where the ECU is not backing off due to high IATs especially in summer when its 110°F or more.
This should keep the power to stock levels in almost all conditions.

Recent mods are rebuilt turbos with ceramic 360° bearings, 200 cell cats and straight through exhausts (like the JAE type).

I was considering something like the Snow Performance water/methanol injection (with smaller injectors). The easiest configuration would be make up modified silicone tubes between the turbo manifolds and throttle intakes. Possibly adding BOVs in the same tubes. I guess the BOVs would be better configured in re-circulation mode, ie venting to air intake hose?

Anyone done anything similar?

·
Registered
383 Posts
A BOV is not recirculating hot air. It is simply redirecting the air that gets pushed through the intake tract after the turbo but before the throttle plate. When the throttle plate is closed suddenly, the BOV vents that back before the MAF so the air can be counted again. If the BOV is after the intercooler, it's actually cooler air than ambient in most cases. MAF cars don't respond well to venting to atmosphere because it causes a temporary rich condition. If the car is speed density based, than venting to atmosphere does not matter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes sorry, should have said it was a V8.

There were two issues.
i) the BOV would vent the intercooler mix away into a closed system
ii) BOVs acting in a bidirectional manner.

I have seen comments about BOVs opening in the reverse sense under vacuum, which is not good as its unfiltered air going in.

Other comments I have seen relate to the size of the intercooler injectors usually being too high flow rate for a small V8 with low boost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts