The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've wanted an Exige-style front lip for my Elise for a while, but haven't been able to track one down. I know Esta had them, but they seem to be no more. I bought OEM lip from a local member to see if I could hack it up to make it fit my Elise, I can probably make it work but it's going to be a big project and now that the weather is nice... I'd rather be driving my car, than trying to fiddle with a fiberglass project, that sounds like something for the winter months.

I may have found someone else who can make this lip, apparently already has in the past. If there is enough interest they may be willing to make some more and do a group buy. Just throwing this out as a feeler to see how much interest there might be?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Can you post a pic detailing the mounting points?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Definitely interested over here. Black fiberglass or carbon fiber.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah exactly like that. I'm not sure how it mounts, I believe the Esta one screwed on the front of the clam. I'll ask if this would be any different.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a small update that I'm still waiting to get some more information.

The lip apparently mounts from the bottom, so there is no drilling on the front of the clam required. I was told CF only... but I'm going to see if they would consider fiberglass. For me personally I'd rather buy two fiberglass lips, than one CF lip - I autocross a lot, and one of the reasons I want the lip is to act as a cone-deflector to protect the rest of the clam. I'd hate for a CF lip to get damaged by a cone!

Will update the thread when I hear back.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I didn't get a reply from GSX... I still have no splitter, so I've been emailing a bunch of people. It's become like a little mission of mine!

I've been talking to quite a few manufacturers, but they just don't know that they market is there to make a run. I've gotten numbers on the order of ~$400 (+/- $50?) each.

So here's the question... if this was in fact available, would you be in? Let's show the interest and give them the proof they need to make the product.

1. 88 E5PR1T
2. Twizzstyle ?
3. LenMcC ?
4. rustyb ?
5. Kamsden ?

I don't want I speak for you guys so please confirm your interest.

Then based on this thread, we may have more guys interested
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f95/exige-oem-style-fiberglass-splitter-197818/

6. curtis ?
7. lotus_dp ?
8. JonathanLA ?
9. LiveToDrive ?
10. ///MD ?
11. Lotus F1 ?
12. 72D ?
13. driftwood ?

Let me know what you think, I dint want to speak out of turn for you guys but I know these things would sell if someone made them. :cool:

·
Registered
577 Posts
I didn't get a reply from GSX... I still have no splitter, so I've been emailing a bunch of people. It's become like a little mission of mine!

I've been talking to quite a few manufacturers, but they just don't know that they market is there to make a run. I've gotten numbers on the order of ~$400 (+/- $50?) each.

So here's the question... if this was in fact available, would you be in? Let's show the interest and give them the proof they need to make the product.

1. 88 E5PR1T
2. Twizzstyle ?
3. LenMcC ?
4. rustyb ?
5. Kamsden ?

6. curtis ?
7. lotus_dp ?
8. JonathanLA ?
9. LiveToDrive ?
10. //MD ?
11. Lotus F1 ?
12. 72D ?
13. driftwood ?

Let me know what you think, I dint want to speak out of turn for you guys but I know these things would sell if someone made them. :cool:
At ~$400 I'd be interested.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts

1. 88 E5PR1T
2. Twizzstyle ?
3. LenMcC ?
4. rustyb ?
5. Kamsden ?

6. curtis ?
7. lotus_dp ?
8. JonathanLA ?
9. LiveToDrive ?
10. ///MD ?
11. Lotus F1 ?
12. 72D ?
13. driftwood ?

I would for sure be interested in a plinthless glass or CF Elise lip if its around the $400-500 ballpark... although I know that is a pretty specific request & chances are i'm too much of a minority to move forward with :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks 88 E5PR1T for taking some leadership on this!

I'd been back and forth with just one guy with a contact who can make them. I'll PM you that information.

I am absolutely in, although I would much prefer a fiberglass version for hopefully cheaper. The person I've been talking with said it would likely be CF-only. I want the lip partly as a cone-basher for autocross, so I'd rather buy two fiberglass ones than one expensive CF one (for backup, and maybe to experiment adding some kevlar on the back to toughen it up a bit).

I also want one that bolts on from underneath, I don't want to glue anything on, and I won't drill any holes in the front of my clam.

I emailed TWRD, who has a bolt-on version, it sounds like its just a matter of figuring out shipping from overseas.

·
Registered
972 Posts
+1 for bolt on vs. glue on and +1 for fiberglass vs. CF. I like CF, think it looks nice and all but for this piece it's bound to get chewed up fast. If it's dirt(ish) cheap though...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts