The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ace mentioned on the exige panel thread that he was interested in the diffuser and underpanel quarter turn screws. I am going to try a few options this weekend. Is anyone interested in this? It will work for elises and exiges. Just trying to see if my time is worth it.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am interested too. Didn't someone offer a kit at one time?
I am not sure. The hardest parts will be the 4 main screws that go into the frame. I am not sure those will be able to be substituted as they are already threaded in.

·
Registered
712 Posts
hangar111 had/has a kit. I've wondered how well they work.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
if you solve the problem of those fiddly little screws on the undertray and diffuser, i guarantee that you would sell AT LEAST several hundred sets. just price it fairly and include a maybe a dozen extra screws and a few extra retainer clips. :up:

·
Registered
6,601 Posts
I'd be down for the undertray / diffuser kit, if priced reasonably.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
A couple of notes...
1 - the threaded outer fastener is retained (on the fed Elise it's a bespoke aluminum stand-off, not a panel overlap)
2 - it might or might not work with the Exige since the panels and clam are slightly thicker (I've measued both) - if it would work, it'd take two kits (at $60 ea.)

Interested to see what you come up with though!
:up:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update

I picked up several of the fasteners. I tried them on the rear diffuser first. I have a panel eliminator and they are a perfect tight fit on the two bars. I will post a pic tomorrow of the fit. Here are some teaser shots.

Attachments

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also just wondering. What would you folks find to be reasonable with how many fasteners and how many clips. Let me remind you that if you have a rear panel eliminator, you have 6 on the sides of the undertray, 5 where the diffuser and undertray meet, and 2 on the alluminum bars on the panel eliminator. Also, there are 2 that keep the diffuser up on the sides that hook onto the wheel well brackets. So total, you have 15 screws and retainers. I believe 20 if you have the stock rear panel.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm toally interested let me know if anything comes up.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm in!

Also just wondering. What would you folks find to be reasonable with how many fasteners and how many clips. Let me remind you that if you have a rear panel eliminator, you have 6 on the sides of the undertray, 5 where the diffuser and undertray meet, and 2 on the aluminum bars on the panel eliminator. Also, there are 2 that keep the diffuser up on the sides that hook onto the wheel well brackets. So total, you have 15 screws and retainers. I believe 20 if you have the stock rear panel.

It would be nice to have as many as possible be 1/4 turn - but I would also understand if the 2 in the center continued to be be threaded fasteners.

Another thought I had was to have the 6 on the side of the undertray be correctly sized studs with kep-nuts (with or with out nyloc or locking threads).

This would be an easier installation solution than getting a J-Clip inserted into the fiberglass or having to rivet in a plate of some sort. Also, starting a nut would be considerably easier than having to locate those damn bolts through the undertray and into the threaded inserts while holding the tray off the ground with your other hand.

BTW, I'm in on this buy.

Tickle

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update

Well I had some extra time so here are the fasteners installed. I got 2 different sizes with 2 different sized heads. I would think the larger head is better and makes a tighter fit. For your viewing pleasure.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 62 Posts