The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Natural gas currently costs less than 1/3 as much as gasoline on an energy basis. The Honda Civic GX NGV gets 24/36/28 (city/highway/combined) mpgge (miles per gallon of gasoline equivelent) using natural gas while producing the least polution of any internal combustion engine.

2008 Honda Civic GX - the Official Honda Web Site

That means close to four times as many miles per fuel dollar as I get in my Elise.

Infrastructure is somewhat of a problem, but you can put Phill on the wall of your garage and refuel overnight, much like you would a Tesla. In addition, there are already a number of fast fill compressed natural gas stations in California.

2008 Honda Civic GX Natural Gas Vehicle - Refueling - the Official Honda Web Site

It certainly looks like an interesting technology!

Attachments

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
It's already pretty much standard in Europe from what I hear.
You get retrofit kits for pretty much any gasoline car.
And the good thing is that they run on both, gasoline AND natural gas.
So when you run out of natural gas, just keep running on thenregular stuff until you get to a CNG filling station...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Natural gas currently costs less than 1/3 as much as gasoline on an energy basis. The Honda Civic GX NGV gets 24/36/28 (city/highway/combined) mpgge (miles per gallon of gasoline equivelent) using natural gas while producing the least polution of any internal combustion engine.

2008 Honda Civic GX - the Official Honda Web Site

That means close to four times as many miles per fuel dollar as I get in my Elise.

Infrastructure is somewhat of a problem, but you can put Phill on the wall of your garage and refuel overnight, much like you would a Tesla. In addition, there are already a number of fast fill compressed natural gas stations in California.

2008 Honda Civic GX Natural Gas Vehicle - Refueling - the Official Honda Web Site

It certainly looks like an interesting technology!
Your Elise should be getting you ~30 MPG unless you lead foot it everywhere.
If you do the same with the Honda it's mileage will suffer too

·
Registered
487 Posts
Pretty cool

-I noticed when I was in south korea a couple years ago, their gas stations have pretty much standard petrol, diesel, and natural gas to choose from... seems easy enough

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your Elise should be getting you ~30 MPG unless you lead foot it everywhere.
If you do the same with the Honda it's mileage will suffer too
I usually get 26 or 27 around town. I do drive it more agressively than I drive my wife's car, but last months natural gas bill had the energy cost at $8.21/MMBtu. My last gasoline fill in the Elise was just over $4.00 per gallon for premium, or $30.20/MMBtu. If I got 29 mpgge with the Honda, that would make the four times factor.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
You'd probably save a lot more money by forgoing the new $25k Civic and picking up a used mid 90's Civic...pay more for gas, but save more money in the long run.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
You'd save more money by biking. But you won't save much money if you buy $10 worth of energy bars and drinks on your 10 commute. It might be cheaper just to drive to your job.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts