The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No affiliation Street-Legal 2008 Lotus 2-Eleven

Bit surprising of a find in the US. I always thought the whole if its off road only and modified its still not allowed to be registered. Should be a fun auction to follow.

If only it were this easy everywhere to make something “street legal."

thing is... it aint street legal

I dunno why this keeps coming up.

Just because a single bureaucrat in a single state screws up, does not make something 'legal'

The car was imported with the restriction that it not be run on the street.

Wishing differently does not save you from the crusher if the Feds decide they care

I dunno why this keeps coming up.

Just because a single bureaucrat in a single state screws up, does not make something 'legal'

The car was imported with the restriction that it not be run on the street.

Wishing differently does not save you from the crusher if the Feds decide they care
100% correct.....this car is not street legal and would be subject to confiscation/destruction by the FEDS, notwithstanding any State issuing a registration/license.

BAT so often allows misleading statements by sellers on their site....I guess BAT does not do any independent verification of information supplied by sellers??

100% correct.....this car is not street legal and would be subject to confiscation/destruction by the FEDS, notwithstanding any State issuing a registration/license.

BAT so often allows misleading statements by sellers on their site....I guess BAT does not do any independent verification of information supplied by sellers??
They usually make it pretty clear they are just quoting the seller. As with any car, due diligence really should fall on the buyer, not the mediator.

They usually make it pretty clear they are just quoting the seller. As with any car, due diligence really should fall on the buyer, not the mediator.
Yes, I understand and BAT often inserts the word "reportedly" in an attempt to shield themselves but their staff is very involved in the composition of the AD or so I've learned from friends that have recently used BAT. I'm sure BAT also has a "hold harmless/indemnification" agreement with sellers. FWIW, given their hands-on approach in creating the Ad, I would be concerned about liability given our very litigious society.

All I can add is my personal opinion and observation.....I have seen Ads on BAT for cars of which I have some personal knowledge and some of those Ads are replete with misleading statements.

So you are correct: BUYER BEWARE!

Wouldn't a 211 with a 340R windscreen be a great street car?

I'm obviously bored today, and since we're commenting on a 2-Eleven FS, I think it's appropriate I post some gratuitous photos of my 211. :D :D

🤭
🍿

Reactions: Robocop305

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
That car is not legal. If the feds find it they will confiscate it and crush it. The fact that he scammed the state and they were dumb enough to approve it for a tag in that state does not mean it's "legal". If it is legal he should post some pics of the federal approval docs.

It's guys like that that caused the rules to import track/race cars to get more difficult. That's one of the reasons Lotus does not do it anymore.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It's so easy to register cars like this in certain states. I'm in Florida and I could probably register just about anything I wanted. It's definitely a gamble though because if you get into an accident you're pretty screwed. I would also never advertise a car I registered like that in this way. You're just asking for trouble.

·
Administrator
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
147 Posts
OK - I don't know - so just exactly what happens?

I've been pulled over for speeding PLENTY of times - a cop has never impounded the car for being an illegal build...

So please fill me in on this terrible downside that everybody's talking about! :)

Kevin

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,600 Posts
OK - I don't know - so just exactly what happens?

I've been pulled over for speeding PLENTY of times - a cop has never impounded the car for being an illegal build...

So please fill me in on this terrible downside that everybody's talking about! :)

Kevin
It has a VIN that isn't allowed to be on US roads, and is for off-road use only. It can be crushed, legally if found on public roads.

San

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
118 Posts
It has a VIN that isn't allowed to be on US roads, and is for off-road use only. It can be crushed, legally if found on public roads.

San
Has there been documented cases of that happening? If it doesn’t have registration for the road, sure you get in trouble for driving a non-road legal car on the road. But if you have a valid title and registration from state X, and an insurance company gives you a policy knowing the VIN... Does the federal government say, “No State X, you shouldn’t have given that car a title and registration, we are seizing it” ? Are your comments about accidents just because you’re assuming that you can’t insure it? or because it won’t hold up under scrutiny and your insurer in state X will deny your claim because state Y really shouldn’t have given the previous owner a title?

I don’t know the answer, but i am curious to know how it’s treated once a state does give a title and registration. Doesn’t another state have to honor it if you transfer a title to a new state when you buy the car?

·
He's on fire!
3,286 Posts
None of that matters. Here's what may happen. Unclear if it would for a legally imported not road legal car.

O

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
7,600 Posts
Has there been documented cases of that happening? If it doesn’t have registration for the road, sure you get in trouble for driving a non-road legal car on the road. But if you have a valid title and registration from state X, and an insurance company gives you a policy knowing the VIN... Does the federal government say, “No State X, you shouldn’t have given that car a title and registration, we are seizing it” ? Are your comments about accidents just because you’re assuming that you can’t insure it? or because it won’t hold up under scrutiny and your insurer in state X will deny your claim because state Y really shouldn’t have given the previous owner a title?

I don’t know the answer, but i am curious to know how it’s treated once a state does give a title and registration. Doesn’t another state have to honor it if you transfer a title to a new state when you buy the car?
"Have there" is what you meant. The car isn't legally allowed to be on public roads. I thought I made that clear in my previous post. You take your chances if you want to push the envelope. An expensive bet.

Just because one state makes an error, it doesn't mean another state is obligated to uphold said error. If this was the case we'd all be driving a V6 Exige, 'cause 2500 pounds and supercharged V6 for the win.

San

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
118 Posts
None of that matters. Here's what may happen. Unclear if it would for a legally imported not road legal car.

O

That pretty much answers the question! As you mentioned, A slight nuance with a car that was imported legally as a non-road car, but one should expect the government to make an example should it be discovered.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
You can’t get insurance. Every Car insurance company has a database of VIN that are legal. When your VIN doesn’t come up as street legal you are declined insurance. Driving without insurance is illegal.

All that being said, I have known a number of individuals who drive illegal cars on the road with plates from another car and no insurance. They are willing to take the chance of not being caught.

Me? I have way too much to loose and wouldn’t be that stupid.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I know about the 25 year rule, so would this car be legal to drive on the road in 2033 then?

·
Scott M
294 Posts
I’m no expert, but understand the vehicle must arrive after the required time is up. No bringing it in early. I’ve heard stories (folklore?) of people importing before 25 years and making it work after the window opens... just that it’s not SUPPOSED to work that way.

·
7,600 Posts
These threads are always doomed from the start.

San

·
Vendor
3,299 Posts
You can’t get insurance. Every Car insurance company has a database of VIN that are legal. When your VIN doesn’t come up as street legal you are declined insurance. Driving without insurance is illegal.

All that being said, I have known a number of individuals who drive illegal cars on the road with plates from another car and no insurance. They are willing to take the chance of not being caught.

Me? I have way too much to loose and wouldn’t be that stupid.
Certified et. al. How would this meaningfully differ from a kit car in terms or registration and insurance? Seems like that could be a way to go maybe?

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Cars completely built by a manufacturer as purpose designed track cars are not street able and can’t be insured that way In the US. The Lotus track cars are sold with a chassis number that states it it not road legal. As said before, lots of people are able to “skirt the issue” but the legal ramifications if you were to get in an accident are massive.

Kit cars are different, they are supplied without a drive train which the owner then installs and try’s to get the car registered and insured. Caterham (Lotus Seven) are a perfect example. You can purchase a Seven without drivetrain (engine & transmission) and have it delivered to the US. Then you can install the drivetrain and hopefully get it registered and insured in your state. I say hopefully because each state is different regarding registration and insuring.

Some states (Montana as an example) have very loose restrictions. Which is why you see lots of cars with out of state Montana plates.

Bottom line, you need to assess your personal risk tolerance to have an illegal car on the road.

I had my heavily modified and track focused 2007 Lotus Exige S road legal in NJ with a collector car registration. I did that because it wouldn't pass smog testing due to engine “enhancements”. There was a mileage limit on an annual basis, but it was otherwise legal and insurable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts