The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the ambient (outside temperature) is cold (30F-50F), the 2nd cam kicks in STRONG with a definite kick. When the temperature outside is 50F+ the 2nd cam "kick" is less noticeable. If it's a warm or hot day (80F+) outside the 2nd cam is hardly felt at all!:shrug:

All cases the engine has been warmed up properly....

Have you noticed that with your N/A Elise?:TADTS

--Hal

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
cooler temps = more dense air = better performance.
( ask me how I know rotfl ) ( it's an aircraft thing too )

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
cooler temps = more dense air = better performance.
( ask me how I know rotfl ) ( it's an aircraft thing too )
Guys riding two strokes or driving turbo cars know this one as well!
:up:

·
Registered
99 Posts
When the ambient (outside temperature) is cold (30F-50F), the 2nd cam kicks in STRONG with a definite kick. When the temperature outside is 50F+ the 2nd cam "kick" is less noticeable. If it's a warm or hot day (80F+) outside the 2nd cam is hardly felt at all!:shrug:

All cases the engine has been warmed up properly....

Have you noticed that with your N/A Elise?:TADTS

--Hal
I don't know man...you should be able to feel the kick from the second cam in all temperature settings :confused:

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The A/C is almost useless for cooling the passengers, so I'm going to duct the cold air from the A/C to the inlet where the snorkle was so cold air will be forced through the air filter.

Kind of a poor man's supercharger!:nanner:

kestral74: Should we share the patent?:confused:

--Hal

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
how about a dry ice intake ? or better yet, a Liquid Hydrogen container that intake air flows over ??

·
Registered
398 Posts
The A/C is almost useless for cooling the passengers, so I'm going to duct the cold air from the A/C to the inlet where the snorkle was so cold air will be forced through the air filter.

--Hal

You're kidding, right? Have you ever read about perpetual motion machines? They don't work. Performance gain from cooling your air with the AC will be minimal compared to the performance loss from running the AC in the first place.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
my a/c didn't work worth a hoot til i closed off the inlets behind the front center grille.
it also fixed the heater.
run the heat and the a/c in recirc.
sam

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Presuming the evap core would get nice and cold during a minute of cruising down the highway, and then also presuming the compressor is turned off under full-throttle conditions, you could actually see benefits from using the AC to cool the engine's intake charge. It would be short lived each time you floored the throttle, but it would work.

xtn

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Charlie, when its ~40 or below, my car seems to pull timing, and engage the cold running rev limiter. Now, Im not flogging the car until its 180degrees, so unless the sensor is reading wrong, the car should be at the appropriate temperature.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
cept the ac turns off when your floor it.
Yes, but the evap coil would still be cold for a bit. Would be useful for short row through a couple of gears perhaps.

xtn

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.