The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a great time running with a small group at BW last Thursday, and the end of the very hot day I noticed the brakes were noisy at pit speeds. I had started the day with about 40% pad remaining on my stock pads. The car ran a lot of laps and when I checked the pads they looked like maybe 10% remaining, so I called it a day and figured I could drive the (mostly freeway) 220 miles home and change out the pads at the first opportunity. I saw a lot of pad transfer on the rotors that I figured was the cause of the noise but I didn't want to use the usual cleanup method of a couple of hard stops because I had so little pad left. Long story short, it got noisier on the drive home, and when I checked the pads at home they were to the backing plate! My wild theory is that the transferred pad material ground down the remaining pad and I would have been better off making a couple of hard stops to clean up. What do you all think? Looks like I'm buying rotors as well as pads...

Gary

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Hi Gary,

You probably know this, but it's important not to apply the parking brake when your brakes are hot after a run on the track. You probably shouldn't sit for long with your foot on the brake in the pits either.

There are good alternatives to the Lotus disks. Lighter higher performance disks, or comparable less expensive ones.

It's very easy to replace the pads and disks, btw.

Good luck!

--Joe

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Gary,

You probably know this, but it's important not to apply the parking brake when your brakes are hot after a run on the track. You probably shouldn't sit for long with your foot on the brake in the pits either.

There are good alternatives to the Lotus disks. Lighter higher performance disks, or comparable less expensive ones.

It's very easy to replace the pads and disks, btw.

Good luck!

--Joe
Yes, I always let the car cool with the parking brake off. I think it was just so hot I was getting a lot of pad transfer, especially since they were stock pads. I was just surprised how fast they went bye-bye.

I'm going with EBC rotors and Ferodo DS2500 pads, which I've had good luck with in other DE applications (good combo street and track pad).

Gary

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Hey Gary... Sounds very odd. I have been down to 10%, called it quits, and made it home with that same 10% of pad. I don't know enough about pads to chime in on your theory, but I do know that I always have uneven pad wear, where the pad on the inside of the rotor will see more wear than the pad on the outside... and the pads on one wheel may see more wear than the pads on the other side of the same axle. My point being: Maybe you did a visual check of one side's outer pad, and it turns out the other three pads were all much closer to being toast.

All that said, I once finished my last session of the day completely uneventfully and in the PADDOCK after I started my car to go home, I immediately heard the heartbreaking sound of metal-on-metal. So my takeaway is that there might be something to be said for what happens during cool down.

[Haha -- my mail program just popped up with your post to the PDC... :)]

FWIW, I'm on EBC rotors and Porterfield R4s now, and the rotors seem to hold up better.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Gary... Sounds very odd. I have been down to 10%, called it quits, and made it home with that same 10% of pad. I don't know enough about pads to chime in on your theory, but I do know that I always have uneven pad wear, where the pad on the inside of the rotor will see more wear than the pad on the outside... and the pads on one wheel may see more wear than the pads on the other side of the same axle. My point being: Maybe you did a visual check of one side's outer pad, and it turns out the other three pads were all much closer to being toast.

All that said, I once finished my last session of the day completely uneventfully and in the PADDOCK after I started my car to go home, I immediately heard the heartbreaking sound of metal-on-metal. So my takeaway is that there might be something to be said for what happens during cool down.

[Haha -- my mail program just popped up with your post to the PDC... :)]

FWIW, I'm on EBC rotors and Porterfield R4s now, and the rotors seem to hold up better.
Thanks, Jon. I just checked all four wheels outside pads before the event and they seemed pretty even. Same now that all the material is gone. The EBC rotors should arrive early next week...

Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts