The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Looks like the Mustang GT500 has 500+ horsepower put to the ground with 285/40ZR18 rear tires. Wonder why the put it up against a 190hp variant of the Lotus instead of an Exige 240, which at least approaches half the horsepower...

·
Registered
815 Posts
Looks like the Mustang GT500 has 500+ horsepower put to the ground with 285/40ZR18 rear tires. Wonder why the put it up against a 190hp variant of the Lotus instead of an Exige 240, which at least approaches half the horsepower...
+1

Looks like a supercharged Lotus would have destroyed everyone!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I'm really tired of comparos that pit the best production car vs the entry level car...not saying the Elise is a bad entry point...but there are 3 other variants which all have more power.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I'm really tired of comparos that pit the best production car vs the entry level car...not saying the Elise is a bad entry point...but there are 3 other variants which all have more power.
such a fair point ...at least R & T did that run last year of the Exige S vs. the AMG. They should at least mention that this is the basic Elise. The way they presented other info was good tho, esp. on the Ferrari.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
An Exige S should brake into the 1:40's on that track. My first track day ever was at MSR Houston and I was pulling 111MPH (traqmate verified) on the same straight they were only able to get 106. Take into consideration that I was also slow coming out of the turn before that. I'm guessing a really good driver could be closer to 115 in an Exige S on the same straight.

The sad part is my best time on that track is 1:56, but I should be in the low 1:50's on my next visit as my driving has improved considerably.. :)

·
Registered
817 Posts
This line from the article says it all: "It [the Elise] feels more like a true race car than any of the other cars in our test, and if that’s important to you, perhaps the Elise is your winner."

Yes, it's important to us...

·
Registered
182 Posts
loved the article!

interesting subjective comparison.

the statistics of the times are dubious. these things ought to be done properly for comparisons to have meaning.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I enjoyed the article and liked how it was written. It had some pretty funny observations. I especially liked the line about all of the millionaires on ferrari chat.

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
Great fun article! Thanks for the link!

And as to why the base Elise? Simple - it wasn't the test they had planned that day but there just happened to be an F430 and an Elise - so the test cars weren't selected by design but but opportunity!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Aedo said:
And as to why the base Elise? Simple - it wasn't the test they had planned that day but there just happened to be an F430 and an Elise - so the test cars weren't selected by design but but opportunity!
I wasn't referring to this test in particular, as they do explain it in the article. I'm speaking in general...they always test the top of the heap from an automaker against the lower end of the power spectrum Lotus. For example, test a base Corvettte vs. an N/A Elise vs. a base Mustang (I'm certain the price points are all very close) and see who shines.

·
Super Moderator
5,452 Posts
I wasn't referring to this test in particular, as they do explain it in the article. I'm speaking in general...they always test the top of the heap from an automaker against the lower end of the power spectrum Lotus. For example, test a base Corvettte vs. an N/A Elise vs. a base Mustang (I'm certain the price points are all very close) and see who shines.
Your point is completely valid - I was simply posting as most comments were essentially "why did they test the base model?" - did they read the article or simply look at the result?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts