The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Less is Better
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are in a Miata in the US, but the owner says they came out of a German '06 Elise . There's alot of interesting things about these seats. They're not probax (according to the owner), they have stitching that's different from both Fed 05 and 06 seats (no stitching down the center) and they have the embroidered Lotus logo. Anyone seen these before?

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,273 Posts
Why are Elige seats so popular with Miata folks? Why don't they just buy better seats like we do? They seem to be spending quite a bit on them already.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I really like the look of these. I suspect that the seat covers are not original and somebody re-covered them. They did a great job if they are re-covered! I'm saving a copy of this picture for reference if I ever re-cover mine...

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Why are Elige seats so popular with Miata folks? Why don't they just buy better seats like we do? They seem to be spending quite a bit on them already.
My speculation is that the Lotus seats present a unique combination of light + easy to get into + narrow in width. FIA track seats might be narrow and light, but not so easy to use day-to-day. Sparco and Recaro make some daily usable seats, but they aren't so narrow. Also as second hand seats, the Lotus ones may also be somewhat cost effective.

·
Less is Better
2,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My speculation is that the Lotus seats present a unique combination of light + easy to get into + narrow in width. FIA track seats might be narrow and light, but not so easy to use day-to-day. Sparco and Recaro make some daily usable seats, but they aren't so narrow. Also as second hand seats, the Lotus ones may also be somewhat cost effective.
Agreed. Also, I see these being used to lower the driver's position in the car. Most other aftermarket seats I've seen actually raise the driver a bit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone,

Just came across this thread! I'm the owner of this Miata actually!

To answer some questions I saw:

NA Miata seats (1st generation) are good seats, but the severely lack in two departments... A: they do not cater to taller drivers and B: there isn't much bolster support (they are essentially flat so cornering involves a lot of sliding around).

Most of us buy Elise/Exige seats because they lower us around 1-2" which sounds silly but it makes all the difference for many, and because although they don't have a lot of bolster support they provide the perfect amount (IMO) for daily spirited driving. They also look better, IMO.

As far as the seats are concerned though, I purchased them off of a member on the lotus parts for sale group on Facebook. This is the car they came out of:

They appear to be OEM. I cannot see them being recovered at all, I've seen recovered lotus seats (I've owned three seats in three separate Miatas) and they never look quite right.

Here's a picture of my car currently (with the seats):

1 - 10 of 10 Posts