The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, it's a beautiful day here in the 'Lou, so, I take the top off the Lotus and head out for a drive. There's a gas station a couple blocks away, so I duck in for a bottle of water for the drive (and since there are no cupholders in this car, the bottle of water just rides in the passenger seat). This particular gas station also happens to be a police sub-station.

After going inside, I had to use the little boys' room. I come out and am grabbing my bottle of water when two of the policemen come into the store and ask the clerk, "Hey.....You know who's car that is outside?" So, I'm thinking, oh feck......they're gonna bust my balls about no front license plate or something......No sense in trying to hide it, so I pipe up and say that it was mine. The one officer says, "Damn, son....that car is badass.....you think you could let me sit in it?" A bit taken aback, I say, sure.....

We head outside and now the car is completely surrounded by 6 officers. As I'm showing the one guy how to get in, the other 5 are bombarding me with all kinds of questions.....how fast it goes, how much it weighs, what kind of engine, etc..... So, the one sitting inside the car finally says, "I'll tell you what.....I gotta see how fast this thing goes.....I'll get my buddys here to block off the street for two blocks and you can drag race against me in #307 over there (the number of his cruiser). I was like, "Uhhhhh....I don't know......" So then he says, "Alright, I'll let you go as fast as you want as long as I'm in the car with you...." So, just as I'm getting ready to say something, they get a call and had to bust out of there. They left in 3 different cars and as they went by me they gave me a short burst of siren to say goodbye.....

Never had that experience before.....overall, it was cool...they were totally into the car and were real nice.

Later in the day, a white Fiero GT pulls up next to me on the highway and wanted to play. Guy rolled down his window and said he swapped a small block V8 into it. Whatever it was, that thing was pretty quick.....from 55 mph, we did 3 pulls and we were neck and neck the whole time. Those things seem like they'd be pretty light, so I can imagine with an engine swap they are pretty fast.

·
Registered
531 Posts
That would have been pretty cool to race a Cop car. I wish we had Cops like
that around here. Most of the Cops in NM suck. :mad:

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I wish we had "Old Bill" (cops) like this in CA too. So far my experience has been that they all have their truncheon's (sticks) shoved up their ass. All they want to do is bust you. I got a ticket the other day for having too dark a tint in my side windows. The guy I bought the car from must have got it done. I never thought about the legality of it and it was actually really nice to keep the blazing sun out, get some anonymity and it looked baaaad on a Phantom Black Exige. Took one of them two months to finally pull me over I guess. Oh well the tint is now off so I'll just wait to see what excuse they use to pull me over with next.

Enjoy your brush with the law and I hope in this case it lasts.

·
Puff Daddy
3,874 Posts
I've had a similar conversation with a police office at a stoplight once. He was revving his engine and grinning ear to ear at me. I told him politely that I don't street race and he said: "darn... oh well have a nice evening" :crazyeyes We have some really cool cops out here... but of course we have bad apples as well.

I still wonder would have happened if I had launched on him...

·
Registered
774 Posts
Cool story. I had one cop one time, who was looking at my car (at one of the parking-lot "shows") - he must have just come off of one of his driving courses or something - you all know the one's where they mock chase / felony stop, hand-brack U-ee their cruisers, etc. - So he's all "pumped up" ....and he tells me:

Sure - you'd pull away from me in the straights, but the second we hit any of these back roads around here, and had to work our way through all the corners, you'd be mine!
:huh: :huh: :huh:

I just smiled and nodded. Clearly, this one (in his Crown Vic, bigass 4-door sedan "Police interceptor" marked cruiser) had absolutely NO CLUE. rotfl

·
Registered
965 Posts
Cool story. I had one cop one time, who was looking at my car (at one of the parking-lot "shows") - he must have just come off of one of his driving courses or something - you all know the one's where they mock chase / felony stop, hand-brack U-ee their cruisers, etc. - So he's all "pumped up" ....and he tells me:

:huh: :huh: :huh:

I just smiled and nodded. Clearly, this one (in his Crown Vic, bigass 4-door sedan "Police interceptor" marked cruiser) had absolutely NO CLUE. rotfl
rotfl LMFAO You should've said something like "Yeah, actually it's a dragster, so you would kill me in corners! Mhm, you got me." XD

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I think, given an opportunity like that I'd just hand over the keys and let him take it for a spin. I'm more than willing to let them check out the car, and the good will generated could be the difference between them cutting you some slack or not later.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Quote:
Sure - you'd pull away from me in the straights, but the second we hit any of these back roads around here, and had to work our way through all the corners, you'd be mine!

"You could never catch me.... Well if you did I'd activate my cars wings, and fly away...

NSFW language:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/nCriGk0POpg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/nCriGk0POpg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

·
Registered
965 Posts
Hm, he could be commenting that he was a better driver. A much better driver would do better in corners regardless of what car he is driving.
True, but the real irony is the Lotus Cornering ability, no? The funny part is that he was talking about how the Lotus would lose in corners, I acknowledge the driver skill either way, but still. It's just interesting how he mentioned beating him in corners, whilst the OP has a Lotus...that's all. :D
:popcorn:

·
Banned
66 Posts
Last time I was surrounded by 6 officers, they had guns pointed at me and had their hands all over me. Now that I'm out, I don't want to get pulled over even if they just want to check out the LOTUS. I think I'm traumatized. Trying to stay on the up and up.

·
Registered
847 Posts
True, but the real irony is the Lotus Cornering ability, no? The funny part is that he was talking about how the Lotus would lose in corners, I acknowledge the driver skill either way, but still. It's just interesting how he mentioned beating him in corners, whilst the OP has a Lotus...that's all. :D
:popcorn:
Since he specifically mentioned the corners perhaps he was being facetious? A few of officers I have met are not only gun toting loonies but also die hard gear heads.

Anywho the offer to block off the street - very cool. Getting called away before actually doing it - also very cool. The only thing I'd be thinking would be this guy needs to ride in the car going around turns.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Something similar happened in Detroit a few years back. The police would watch the drag races straight down the street on the road that bordered Detroit and another city. Hundreds would line the streets and the cops would just watch and say it was out of their jurisdiction. One time, a car went off course and killed some people. It was all on tape including the officers watching. Lawsuits and firings happened afterwards. Don't fall into that trap.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Everyone is always telling me "watch out in that thing, youre gonna attract the tix... etc." but in my 6 months of having this thing, i have experienced the opposite...

ex 1 - Moving pretty quick on the inner belt around downtown charlotte, and a little bike cop is hiding under an overpass. It was last minute when i saw him, so checked the brakes, looked down and i was going about 20 over... "damn i thought, got me" i looked up at him, he stood his bike up, pointed his front end at me, flashed his high beams and nodded... WTF!?!?! i slowed and starred at him in the side mirror (exige, no rear view!) for a minute, and nothing... Crazy.

ex 2 - was hitting some mountain roads in NC and was comming down a pretty steep hill. i knew there was a park entrance somewhere ahead so i was looking out for the turn. I was reving high in 2nd gear slowing down for the upcoming turn so it was loud as hell in this valley. The turn came up on me quick so i threw it around the corner into the parking lot rather aggresively... only to find myself coming nose to nose with 3 State Troopers. Crap. They were standing outside their cars talking so i KNOW they heard me screaming down the hill momments before. I parked away from them and started making my way to the bathroom there on-site, but one of them started heading over to me immediately. I thought i was about to get a formal military trooper ass chewing, but instead got the similar response as above with "... man whadda hell is that thang?" His "fellers" followed him over and they wanted to sit in it and take pics on their cells etc.

they chatted a while then started to leave. As they were walking away, the first one that came over turned back to be a said, "hey, were all 3 heading down the mountain... which is to the RIGHT (pointing out of the parking lot) and ill tell ya, the better roads are DEFINETLY to the left (points in the opposite direction)..." His friends nod and laugh. I hesitently reply " so let me get this straight, the 3 of you are going that way (pointing right) and i should go that way (pointing left)" They simply replied "yup, have fun." Then the last to get in the patrol car yelled out " the speed limits 55, but those corners are sharp as hell, so have a good'en buddy!"

Again WTF?!?! Troopers? Really? I thought for sure they be waiting around the bend to the left, but they werent, and he was right, that road was a blast...

:shift:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts