The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently took a test drive on the MY12 IPS and found when shifting, the car automatically reverts back to automatic mode after a few seconds.

Can this be disabled? Otherwise, at times you sometimes have to tap the paddles twice to shift manually.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Another LT member with an IPS reported that it will hold gear if you are in Sport mode. Were you?

I don't know what to make of the need to hit the shifter twice. Auto trans control unit didn't think it was ready to shift the first time?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
211 Posts
I welcome the the IPS cars!
The auto shift will put a lot of people that have no business driving a Lotus in the car!
Which inturn will make for a lot of spare parts for the rest of us!

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
Drove a Jag XK, does the same. Unless specifically prompted to a Sport mode.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Unkind BWare. IPS users could include people with handicaps, or people who live in places with lots of hills and stoplights. When I took a mini-vacation in SanFrancisco in my Elise, I found all the uphill stoplights a pain after 40 minutes of stop and go on steep hills. (And I normally love a manual transmission).

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had to sell my 06 Carrera because sitting in Toronto traffic holding a clutch down was killing my back (herniated disc). I love driving, and I loved the engagement of a manual transmission, but it's no longer worth the pain.

I was really unhappy about giving up the the manual transmission, and wanted to find a car that would maintain the driver --> road connection that I felt in the Carrera.

I looked at just about every car w/automatic available, and selected the Evora because the spectacular feedback in the steering and suspension did a good job of compensating for the lack of manual transmission (in terms of road connection).

I would guess I'm not the only person in my situation.

·
Premium Member
6,241 Posts
IPS is an interim solution (a very good effort too) to what ultimately will be a PDK type soltion which is faster than any manual. At the track, personally, I am ready to go beyond a manual because it has become the limiter in my ability to late brake consistently. I do quite well, but the "missed shift" is always in the back of your head as you slide to outside edge of Turn 1 at LRP when you carried in optimal momentum.
We all choose manuals because of 2 things.
1. Invplvement
2. It was quicker
#2 is no longer true folks and I'm man enough to say I want quicker shifts.

Evora IPS is a great addition to the family and forward thinking at the same time. I just wish it was a true DCT .

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gauranteed they will sell way more IPS models than manuals. Calling the IPS a sales gimmick is reaching, in my opinion...

There have been many times that I desired not having to shift while in rush hour. Some people including myself DD this car. Its not all mountains and twisties...in fact that has been 10% of the mileage to be honest. At one point in my ownership I really wished I had an IPS (when I was having shifting issues but all is well after my clutch change).

Giving up manual would be a tough choice for me still. I honestly didn't find it nearly as fun to drive. I was able to deliver power more readily in my own car but maybe its because I'm not at all used to the IPS paddle shifting.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
I had to sell my 06 Carrera because sitting in Toronto traffic holding a clutch down was killing my back (herniated disc). .
curious why would you hold the clutch pedal down? i have never owned an automatic car, and i have never had to hold down my clutch pedal down in stop and go traffic. but yes, manuals are a poor choice for stop and go traffic.

engineering gimmick... as is - just throw the camry slush box in for now until we can source a proper box... hey, it worked for porsche for years!

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
Offering an auto tranny isn't a sales gimmick, but I could see a pretty strong argument that selling a Camry slush box as an "Intelligent Precision Shift" unit is a bit much. Just call it an auto and you don't offend anyone who knows that the "IPS" stuff is BS or turn away anyone who wants an auto.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Offering an auto tranny isn't a sales gimmick, but I could see a pretty strong argument that selling a Camry slush box as an "Intelligent Precision Shift" unit is a bit much. Just call it an auto and you don't offend anyone who knows that the "IPS" stuff is BS or turn away anyone who wants an auto.
Well said. It's just marketing. An unavoidable fact of life.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
At Newport they are ordering mostly IPS's now.. goes to show you they know what will sell and what hasn't. Quite a few 2011's have sat on their show room for way too long. They simply aren't moving.

·
Illegal Alien
4,614 Posts
Except that Lotus did ALL the programing and I understand that the MY12 program may be as quick as a professionally driven manual. As said before anything to sell cars is good for all of us.

I only wanted a manual and in fact didn’t tell my wife that the S with IPS became available for the '12's. That said if it wasn't my third car away from DD: Acura, SUV, Evora, and I had to deal with Houston commuting I probably would have gone with the IPS. If they had a sequential dual clutch system it wouldn’t have taken a second though; after all I have three RX-&’s with manuals.

·
Registered
6,889 Posts
I'd love to be able to left foot brake exclusively.

·
Super Moderator
6,817 Posts
Except that Lotus did ALL the programing and I understand that the MY12 program may be as quick as a professionally driven manual.
I assume that they tuned it to match the vehicle, but is it any more "intelligent" or precise than the standard Camry tranny? My point was just that the over-the-top pseudo-engineering marketing makes you question everything they say about the car. I have no issue with them offering an auto, but I find it unfortunate that they had to settle for ancient tech and a shame that they don't just sell it for what it is.

·
Premium Member
6,241 Posts
From a salespersons perspective, I have received more inquirys regarding the IPS than the manual BY FAR. From people that track their current car, no posers. :)
What I've been saying. Thank you very much:bow:

And yes, it is more intelligent by far. Is marketing involved? Yup. If it saves Lotus, we'll look back and consider it brilliant marketing that saved the company.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts