The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Personally, I cracked up at the poem at the bottom that says we have to die in war with others to defend our "higher ethic".

LOL @ people's delusion.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I hope we don't turn this Forum into a political platform. I know that was not your purpose Randy. I have seen this same post elsewhere and it is indeed interesting from an engineering standpoint, which is how I took it.

I have my opinions about the present political situation, the U.S. involvement in the world, and am happy to discuss it all, but not here. Let's hope this forum stays focused on the subject at hand. There are a lot of "nuts" out there who can make this innocent post very unpleasant. (Hopefully I am not one of them, but you never know LOL)

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Note how the secured the shipt about 15 degrees off axis from the transport...Perhaps to prevent damage to the sonar dome?

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
babak said:
Note how the secured the shipt about 15 degrees off axis from the transport...Perhaps to prevent damage to the sonar dome?
Well, I can think of two possible reasons:

1. The Cole looks very long; if they tried to secure it inline with the carrier ship, its bow would probably lie between the two uprights on the carrier ship. This raises the possibility of damaging the carrier ship if their load shifts or comes unsecured.

2. Much of the motion the carrier ship experiences on its journey will be a rolling, or side to side, motion. Securing the Cole diagonally provides a wider, more stable arrangement that will make the Cole less likely to tip over if severe weather cannot be avoided.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
That appears to be a bulbous bow not a sonar dome below the water line on the bow - common on full displacement hulls.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
You're both right. It's a bow-mount sonar dome. It has the side effect of reducing the bow wave, due to its bulbous bow shaping.

Cade

1 - 9 of 9 Posts