The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just thought I'd share what I thought to be a humorous exchange between me and my local Honda dealer.

I was only mildly-interested in selling my 2002 A4 Avant to get a Honda Pilot to tow the Elise. I looked at the 2004 Pilot because of the lease deal they have currently. They low-balled me on a possible trade on my 2002 A4 Avant (3.0, tip, fully loaded) with an offer of $14K. (No suprises there...)

When I mentioned the Lotus Elise, then tried to talk me into an S2000! First of all, the sales manager kept pronouncing Lotus as "Lot Us" (rhymes with "Not Us :p ) Then he kept warning me about how, if I took delivery of the Lotus Elise, I would be severly upside down and would lose 50% of its value in the first year. His S2000 wold maintain its value and he said he's certain that I could trade it in a year later with less than 12,000 miles on it and he would probably give me what I paid, "less tax and license of course." He went on to further bash the Elise speaking about how Honda has many more years of racing experience than Lotus, how Honda can better engineer a car, and how the S2000 is a true sports car and the Lotus is just an assembly of miscellaneous parts of various cars from Korea and China.

I just had to laugh and thanked the man for his time. The salesman ( a young lad who is a bit of an enthusiast) was clearly shaken and embarassed. I patted him on the back, thanked him for his time and suggested he find another manager to work under.

Bob

·
Registered
159 Posts
You don't want to use a Pilot for towing. With the car and trailer in tow the Pilot is going to have a really hard time.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
This kind of nonsense happens all the time to me, I do my homework and usually know more about the cars then the dealer does. I love it when they get it all wrong or try to feed me a line of BS. Call it mean spirited but I love to toy with idiots.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
I think it's really rare for the car salesman to know as much as the buyer when it's an enthusiasts type car.

Chris

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
dealers

when I first went to my dealer to see the european Elise and put in my order the salesman was honest enough to tell me that I knew more than he did about the car :) BTW why do none of the federal Elises have driving lights?:shrug:

·
Registered
643 Posts
I had a slightly different experience. After test driving the Elise for the first time, my wife and I thought it would be interesting to drive some of the competition. Our first stop was at a Honda dealership where we test drove the S2000. After taking it around the block, the salesman solicited our opinion. I told him what I thought: great car, lots of fun, but not as pure as the Elise. He grinned and admitted it, but pointed out that the S2000 was much more livable on a day-to-day basis.

Then he hit below the belt. He pointed out that I could drive home in the S2000 *today* whereas I would have to wait on the Elise...

Jim

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
jtanner said:
Then he hit below the belt. He pointed out that I could drive home in the S2000 *today* whereas I would have to wait on the Elise...
Oooow.. smart salesman.

There are days when I feel I might be weak enough to crumple at such a proposition...

MSRP Shafting Weekend would have been a bad time to visit a dealership, for example..

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Ground Loop said:
Oooow.. smart salesman.

There are days when I feel I might be weak enough to crumple at such a proposition...
The next time you feel that way drive up to HB and I will take you for a ride in my Elise...the urge to by something else will be gone:D

Patrick

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Here's another good example of why sales people should stick to promoting their product and not bashing the competitions.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
I think it's really rare for the car salesman to know as much as the buyer when it's an enthusiasts type car.

Chris
That is a very fair statement. I had a bit different experience at the Toyota dealer. Being 5 hrs from the nearest dealership I was curious to see if I could rely on them for nickel/dime engine stuff. I don't intend to let them to anything to this car, but it would be nice to have a friendly parts department nearby. When they found I had an elise on order they blew a gasket, "dude, you've got to bring it by when you get, we're all car nuts and it'd be great to see one up close." That from one of the senior managers who then introduced me to their svc dept manager who was more than happy to have a customer for his parts bin.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
I have a Ford Expedition and am extremely happy with it. I can tow my 1974 elite with it, throw all 5 of my kids in it and still take it to a job site and not worry about it making thru the rough stuff. I don't think that the US makes better cars than the rest of the world but when it comes to full size trucks, at least Ford knows what their doing. There are some great incentives on Ford Trucks right now. I'll be trading my Expedition next year for a 05 after 7 years of faithful service.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I too share the Ford truck enthusiasm. My tow vehicle is a 1990 Ford E350 1 ton 4X4 van. It has the injected 460ci engine, plenty of torque!
I am looking for a small lightweight enclosed aluminum car trailer(Lotus style)for track duty..

·
Registered
223 Posts
Went to look around to test-drive a 350Z, the sales-guy wanted me to buy the car to be able to test-drive it....what a wanker...

·
Registered
498 Posts
How did you keep a straight face? BY the way, a dodge dakota makes a good tow vehicle or any used full size truck. Check Carmax for prices.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Toine wrote:

Went to look around to test-drive a 350Z, the sales-guy wanted me to buy the car to be able to test-drive it....what a wanker...
Yeah, the Chevy dealer in Glendale told me the same thing when I went to look at the C6 Corvette. "It's our only car and you can't drive it unless you buy it." Interestingly enough, the auto transporter was along side of the dealership, fully loaded with yellow, red, 1 silver and two black C6 Corvettes being unloaded. That still didn't convince him to let me even sit in the car. (They kept it locked.) If I buy a Chevy, I know I won't buy from THAT dealership! :p

rbullett wrote
How did you keep a straight face? BY the way, a dodge dakota makes a good tow vehicle or any used full size truck. Check Carmax for prices.
Truth be told, I'm a Ford guy. I only thought about the Honda because of the lease deal... and I was just "scratching an itch" to check out the Pilot. I think I would rather have an Expedition, (possibly an Explorer with the 4.6 V8) or, if I sell my Mach 1 and my 2002 Audi A4 Avant, a Lightning.

Bob

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
rtking said:
I think I would rather have an Expedition, (possibly an Explorer with the 4.6 V8) or, if I sell my Mach 1 and my 2002 Audi A4 Avant, a Lightning.

Bob
I had an '02 Explorer with the 4.6. It towed great, but I had lots of problems with it. I traded it in as soon as my warranty was up because the cost of repairs was starting to get out of hand.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Toine said:
I went to local Nissan dealership when I was shopping for new cars. I talked to the sales guy for some time and asked to take a spin in the 350Z. I got a "we don't let people drive them unless they're serious." Well why do you think I'm here?!?! He finally agreed just as another sales guy took off in the car to go to lunch. He called him and the guy told him to have me come back some other time. I was pissed and in a hurry, so I left. A couple of weeks later I'd read a favorable review of the 350Z so I decided to give them another try. I went in and struck up another conversation with a different sales guy. I told him I'd been looking at some cars (RX-8, G35 coupe, S2000, 350Z) and wanted to give the Nissan a try so that I could make a decision. He clearly wasn't taking me seriously. After a bit of run-around I told him I'd find another dealership and left. When I started climbing into the C5 Corvette out front to leave he suddenly looked like he wanted to help me. Too late.

Edit to add: I didn't end up buying any of those cars. I found out that the Elise was coming to the states, sold my Miata, and put my deposit down.

·
Registered
5,311 Posts
rtking said:
....I think I would rather have an Expedition, (possibly an Explorer with the 4.6 V8) or, if I sell my Mach 1 and my 2002 Audi A4 Avant, a Lightning.
I've been towing my Lotus cars with a '99 Lightning and it's a hoot! There's not too many trucks that can do a sub 6 0-60 and still tow 5K lbs. I've caught myself going up steep grades at 75+ with the rig behind and freeway merges are a breeze!

The Lightning has changed my motto to, "If you gotta have a tow vehicle, it should be fun!"

BTW... I don't consider the new Dodge Ram SRT10 a truck - it can only carry a empty cooler and can't tow.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
A while back, I was looking at Nissans. The salesman was a nice guy, and very helpful. In the middle of our discussions (still comparing models -- not yet buying), the sales manager decided to come over and take over the discussion. I couldn't understand why. He was a total jerk, and knew nothing about the cars. He couldn't even articulate the difference between the Altima and the Sentra -- just kept saying they were similar. (Huh?) The salesman was clearly embarrassed, but couldn't do much about it. I left. I decided I didn't want a Nissan, but you can be sure I wouldn't have bought it there, even if I did.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
NMRJock said:
When I started climbing into the C5 Corvette out front to leave he suddenly looked like he wanted to help me.
I had something like this happen to me 25 years ago at a motorcycle dealer. I was getting a couple of parts for my bike, and they had just gotten their new 6 cylinder bike in. I want to test drive, but the manger refused to let me. I thought his jaw was going to hit the ground when I got in the Maserrati Mistral and drove off...

Not long after the "new" mid-engined MR2s came out, I wanted to take one for a test drive. Absolutely not!. They wouldn't even open the door so you could look in. Guess what car I still haven't driven...:wallbang:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts