The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caught the tail end of the show from Pebble Beach, but it appears that there are plans to produce the Evora GTE road car. 300lbs lighter than a current S, and 425hp. Racing-inspired interior and front end, much carbon fiber. I hope it happens.

·
Illegal Alien
5,261 Posts
Isn't this 3 year old news when GTE was introduced at pebble beach

·
Registered
216 Posts
If that has any merit you can bet that car will cost significantly more than a S.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Old news. Those cars are all sitting at the factory on Hethel. They aren't legal anywhere, even China!
If that's the case I wonder why they dont just "downgrade" the engine to S so they pass all emissions to sell off the GTE body kits. Just seems like a waste. Even sell the body kits off them I'll take one.

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
If that's the case I wonder why they dont just "downgrade" the engine to S so they pass all emissions to sell off the GTE body kits. Just seems like a waste. Even sell the body kits off them I'll take one.
Nothing about the cars was legal. I believe they were mockups without the sequential transmissions or Cosworth Tuned engines anyways, heard conflicting stories... If I were to guess, the centerlock wheels, and the body kits are the parts that aren't legal, but it probably mostly has something to do with incorrect type approvals.. So probably a paperwork impossibility.

A friend asked Lotus if they would sell one, while he was looking at them at the factory, even just for track use, and they said they can't.

·
Illegal Alien
5,261 Posts
Because that body would need crash testing for US market. They could sell them for off road use only.

·
Illegal Alien
5,261 Posts
Nothing about the cars was legal. I believe they were mockups without the sequential transmissions or Cosworth Tuned engines anyways, heard conflicting stories... If I were to guess, the centerlock wheels, and the body kits are the parts that aren't legal, but it probably mostly has something to do with incorrect type approvals.. So probably a paperwork impossibility.

A friend asked Lotus if they would sell one, while he was looking at them at the factory, even just for track use, and they said they can't.
They did not use the Cosworth 4L NA but rather a 3.5L SC if my memory is correct. They were not at all the GT4 car. The day I had a factory tour back in 2011 a street GTE was running on the track, as was the 1st production line Exige S V6 a few days later.

·
Illegal Alien
5,261 Posts
Shouldn't they be able to be sold as track use only?
You would think so, but I heard they had issues with the engine and handling so they may just want that car to die away.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts