The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2005 111R (Elise)
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a life where I can eliminate the rattles I hear inside the cabin?
I’m the second owner; and since taking delivery, I have carved out pennies, a quarter, drill bit, and a random piece of metal from misc nooks and cranies. Almost got the rattle to stop.... but still present.

live with it? Or keep fighting?

thanks!

·
Registered
2005 111R (Elise)
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well then so it will be! Thanks for the confirmation!

I just will drive harder to overpower them! 😜

·
Registered
2007 Exige S
34 Posts
One of the park brake handle set screws came out. Took a long time finding that. Every turn it rolled back and forth. That handy extension magnet works wonders.

I just did the clear tape trick on the door stud and that eliminated a lot of noise. May have to install the larger jam or just re tape.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’m sure there are many owners that would appreciate if someone could summarize the most likely sources of, and methods to eliminate rattles.
I have a rattle that happens during cornering, probably a stone or a nut, but where is it trapped, where do I start?

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
341 Posts
Jcahill, I had one like that. It ended up being a loose ball bearing in the drivers seat rail. Re-pack with grease and all is good. Well at least with that one anyway... :)

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
One of the park brake handle set screws came out. Took a long time finding that. Every turn it rolled back and forth. That handy extension magnet works wonders.

I just did the clear tape trick on the door stud and that eliminated a lot of noise. May have to install the larger jam or just re tape.
I'm curious about that. Did the screw end up in the center column or did it move towards the rear of the car. I've had something that rolls around but it sounds like it is behind the driver's seat. It is not the loose ball bearing in the drivers seat though.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
The easiest way is to take the seat out, it only takes a few min, you will be surprised what may hide under there. 😂

·
Registered
286 Posts
Is there a life where I can eliminate the rattles I hear inside the cabin?
I’m the second owner; and since taking delivery, I have carved out pennies, a quarter, drill bit, and a random piece of metal from misc nooks and cranies. Almost got the rattle to stop.... but still present.

live with it? Or keep fighting?

thanks!
I have had to learn to live with the noise my Elise makes. While some rattles are something I could live with, my car makes a staggering amount of noise when driving. There are separate noises that I can identify. The worst is what I call "a handful of pennies" that slides the entire length of the car when I slow down or accelerate. Imagine 20-30 pennies sliding across metal and you know the sound I'm talking about. Next is another sound from lower in the car, possibly a ball bearing or something that slides back and forth again when changing speeds. It is a constant sound that is always there.

Next, my roll bar squeaks extremely loud when on bumpy roads, which in Michigan is almost all the time. I can't really understand what is going on there, but it is extremely loud and right over my ears so again, is a constant presence. Finally, there is a hellacious banging sound over bumps coming from my right door. This is the loudest noise of them all but together they make a huge cacaphony of noise.

I've taken the car in twice to fix some of these noises but none of them were addressed at all so I have given up on the car ever having even a slightly normal sound to it when driving.

·
Registered
204 Posts
When I removed the three aluminum plates under the car to do other work, a LOT of crap fell out. You might just remove and replace the plates. I hear lots of resonances in the engine compartment as the engine revs change, too. Frustrating.

·
Registered
2005 111R (Elise)
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have had to learn to live with the noise my Elise makes. While some rattles are something I could live with, my car makes a staggering amount of noise when driving. There are separate noises that I can identify. The worst is what I call "a handful of pennies" that slides the entire length of the car when I slow down or accelerate. Imagine 20-30 pennies sliding across metal and you know the sound I'm talking about. Next is another sound from lower in the car, possibly a ball bearing or something that slides back and forth again when changing speeds. It is a constant sound that is always there.

Next, my roll bar squeaks extremely loud when on bumpy roads, which in Michigan is almost all the time. I can't really understand what is going on there, but it is extremely loud and right over my ears so again, is a constant presence. Finally, there is a hellacious banging sound over bumps coming from my right door. This is the loudest noise of them all but together they make a huge cacaphony of noise.

I've taken the car in twice to fix some of these noises but none of them were addressed at all so I have given up on the car ever having even a slightly normal sound to it when driving.
All I can say is Errrrrr...... thanks for your note.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts

Sorry to hear. Have you had anyone else who owns an Elise stop by to help? They might be able to figure out at least some of those sounds.

My 2009 Elise is pretty settled actually.

·
Registered
286 Posts
When I removed the three aluminum plates under the car to do other work, a LOT of crap fell out. You might just remove and replace the plates. I hear lots of resonances in the engine compartment as the engine revs change, too. Frustrating.
I had thought to ask for this to be done the next time I bring the car to the shop. I'm not a wrencher so have to have others do this.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I'm curious about that. Did the screw end up in the center column or did it move towards the rear of the car. I've had something that rolls around but it sounds like it is behind the driver's seat. It is not the loose ball bearing in the drivers seat though.
I just checked my car. The 2 set screws for my parking brake are still there. So whatever issues I've had are from something else. I sometimes have a "small item rolling left to right" sound once in a while. It sounds like it is from behind the driver's seat, maybe in the engine bay. There was a period of about a year that it was constant. Now I only hear it once in a while.

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise 111R Sports Racer
45 Posts
Its always nice reading threads like this, knowing that I'm not alone in being annoyed by squeaks and rattles.
I only have the passenger side plastic sill cover squeaking, bits of the roof or hardtop, one around the windscreen and what sounded like the rear clam squeaking when going over bumps but that settled down by itself.
Overall i think my car isn't that bad though.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,598 Posts
I don't even bother trying to quiet the noises. She's loud and passionate. It could be a lot worse.

San

1 - 20 of 20 Posts